Kia Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'd rate mine the same, like 8.5/10. Maybe we'll see after my Kumho tires wear a bit, but I doubt it will change the quiet ride of the Sorento

·
Registered
82 Posts
My mom has a 2016 Sorento LX front-wheel drive that my dad bought her about two weeks ago. It has 18,500 miles and appears to have the original Kumho tires on it.

The test drive, the road was wet, it was pouring rain, but when my dad bought it, I drove it home that day, it seemed to have a little too much road noise, especially after reading how quiet these are supposed to be. The noise is more pronounced on smooth roads between 30-55 mph.

We (or I) have just discounted it as being the cheap original tires, but is that the case, or could something else be going on? I would hate the car to already have issues, as my dad bought this for my mom to finally have a fairly new reliable car. The only other think I can think of would be wheel bearings, but wouldn't expect them to be issues at less than 20k miles? It is under warranty until March 2020 and 42k more miles (I guess?), so I imagine if something else had failed it would be warranty, but do not want to take to the dealer prematurely. Just wear out the tires unless the noise gets worse? The noise does not seem to bother her, nor my dad, but it would drive me insane. lol. I am asked to drive her to town in it sometimes. :)

Thanks!
Do you have the Kumho Crugen tires? Consumer Reports actually just rated these and they got quite a good score for an OEM tire. (My Mazda6 and my dad's top-of-the-line Camry both came with really low-end tires, despite being Yokohamas and Bridgestones.) CR rated the Crugens 4/5 in most categories, including ride quality and road noise, I believe. They also did their accelerated wear tests and think most people could get 60k out of them. Again, pretty good for an OEM tire.

Unless you drive it back to back with another Sorento, you won't know if anything's gone wrong, especially since you don't know what the car's been through for the first 18k miles.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Do you have the Kumho Crugen tires? Consumer Reports actually just rated these and they got quite a good score for an OEM tire. (My Mazda6 and my dad's top-of-the-line Camry both came with really low-end tires, despite being Yokohamas and Bridgestones.) CR rated the Crugens 4/5 in most categories, including ride quality and road noise, I believe. They also did their accelerated wear tests and think most people could get 60k out of them. Again, pretty good for an OEM tire.

Unless you drive it back to back with another Sorento, you won't know if anything's gone wrong, especially since you don't know what the car's been through for the first 18k miles.
Thanks for all of the replies.

To answer the above, yes it does have the Kumho Crugen tires... it has like a "7" looking shape after that lettering.

I guess I need to drive another Sorento LX FWD with the same tires to know for sure, but I am guessing it could be the tires - perhaps they were not properly rotated or something. At any rate, there is still a good deal of warranty left and I imagine anything wrong causing this noise would be handled under that. At this point, it does not seem to bother my folks and it is their car, but we shall see. lol. Thanks!

·
Registered
639 Posts
I know, it's probably the quietest (or tied with) in its class and price-range, and also could rivals some entry level luxury cars in terms of overall ride and NVH. I'm still in my honeymoon phase of the car, only got 500km on it thus far. It's incredible.
The LX is louder than other models, there's no doubt. Riding in an SX-L is like a Cadillac comparatively, maybe it's all the napa leather subduing the sounds. :) --> that's probably my next car if it doesn't break the bank.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Thanks for all of the replies.

To answer the above, yes it does have the Kumho Crugen tires... it has like a "7" looking shape after that lettering.

I guess I need to drive another Sorento LX FWD with the same tires to know for sure, but I am guessing it could be the tires - perhaps they were not properly rotated or something. At any rate, there is still a good deal of warranty left and I imagine anything wrong causing this noise would be handled under that. At this point, it does not seem to bother my folks and it is their car, but we shall see. lol. Thanks!
You have 42,000 miles to get to the bottom of it, I'd have them start now !! The honeymoon is over.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Our 2017 v6 EX is quiet and smooth however the tires are noisy. It is 500 miles shy of 20K miles on it.

It has the Kumho tires on it and when new it was very smooth and quiet. After a couple summers the tires have hardened quite a bit and the road noise from them has been steadily increasing and they are awful in the wet. No traction during acceleration when there is any sign of water. It will spin the tires without much throttle pressure.

Most all new cars come with really cheap tires. The versions that your car comes with are not the same as the ones you buy from the tire store. They are specifically made for the manufacturer to be cheap and they have features that help them with that tiny bit of CAFE mileage gains.
With a good set of tires it would be an extremely quiet ride and easier to drive in the rain from a dead stop.

For those that don't know.... When you buy a car brand new you can drive directly to Discount Tire and purchase the tire warranty on your new car tires. It was about $80 and your tires are covered just like you bought them there. Free rotation and balance and road hazard warranty.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Our 2017 v6 EX is quiet and smooth however the tires are noisy. It is 500 miles shy of 20K miles on it.

It has the Kumho tires on it and when new it was very smooth and quiet. After a couple summers the tires have hardened quite a bit and the road noise from them has been steadily increasing and they are awful in the wet. No traction during acceleration when there is any sign of water. It will spin the tires without much throttle pressure.

Most all new cars come with really cheap tires. The versions that your car comes with are not the same as the ones you buy from the tire store. They are specifically made for the manufacturer to be cheap and they have features that help them with that tiny bit of CAFE mileage gains.
With a good set of tires it would be an extremely quiet ride and easier to drive in the rain from a dead stop.

For those that don't know.... When you buy a car brand new you can drive directly to Discount Tire and purchase the tire warranty on your new car tires. It was about $80 and your tires are covered just like you bought them there. Free rotation and balance and road hazard warranty.
My Sorento was purchased used and two of the four tires are Kumho. I feel that these tires are noisy and, as you mentioned, if there is any moisture on the road, they are traction-less. Hard to get off a stop light if the streets are wet. I feel my Sorento will be a better car with Michelin's. Engine noise is a factor as well. The same engine in my Cadenza is much more quiet.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Why not refuse to accept posts without this info so that the people that are registered correctly don't waste time clicking on latest post reply , only to see this same message and nothing new. If someone really wants help they will comply.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Why not add it to your signature as requested, and the prompts will disappear - just waiting on you and this thread will be rid of the prompts.

Using the below link, please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your signature
With the recent forum platform change, the location and vehicle details in your profile no longer show in each post.

eg.
USA
2019 Sportage 2.7L V6 SX turbo AWD

https://www.kia-forums.com/account/signature

https://www.kia-forums.com/threads/forum-rules.27240/
Sorry, I had the info updated in my account and assumed that also meant signature . My bad if this worksand this message no longer appears when I scan posts.

·
Super Moderator
9,529 Posts
Sorry, I had the info updated in my account and assumed that also meant signature . My bad if this worksand this message no longer appears when I scan posts.
No worries, we all thought the site developers were smart enough to carry that info over to the new platform, ...... but we were wrong.

Only thing left for you now is to add location to your sig.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts