Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mom has a 2016 Sorento LX front-wheel drive that my dad bought her about two weeks ago. It has 18,500 miles and appears to have the original Kumho tires on it.

The test drive, the road was wet, it was pouring rain, but when my dad bought it, I drove it home that day, it seemed to have a little too much road noise, especially after reading how quiet these are supposed to be. The noise is more pronounced on smooth roads between 30-55 mph.

We (or I) have just discounted it as being the cheap original tires, but is that the case, or could something else be going on? I would hate the car to already have issues, as my dad bought this for my mom to finally have a fairly new reliable car. The only other think I can think of would be wheel bearings, but wouldn't expect them to be issues at less than 20k miles? It is under warranty until March 2020 and 42k more miles (I guess?), so I imagine if something else had failed it would be warranty, but do not want to take to the dealer prematurely. Just wear out the tires unless the noise gets worse? The noise does not seem to bother her, nor my dad, but it would drive me insane. lol. I am asked to drive her to town in it sometimes. :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Well maybe that is the issue. The engine is super quiet (it is the 4-cylinder) and I hear no wind noise, it sounds like it is all coming from the tires. If the LX is that much louder, I wonder if the base "L" is even louder?

I wonder if the LX is louder than the EX/SXL because of the brand of tires, or less insulation, or both?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Go drive a new LX and see if it is the same. We have the 4cyl LX and it is very quiet, it does have the hankook tires though.

·
Registered
50 Posts
No noise in my LX. Rides pretty quiet. Although I will say, I'm not a fan of the Kumho tires at speeds over 100km/hr 60mph

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
So far, in my brand-new 2017 LX V6 is very quiet. But yeah, the Kumho tires over time and whatnot will probably not wear as well as better tires.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I have 28k on my Nexen tires and they are getting kind of loud. While they look to be wearing fairly uniform, they have gotten to the point that they annoy me at certain speeds on certain surfaces. For sure it is probably the tires. On a scale of 1-10 for my EX of being quiet, I would give it a solid 8 with new tires. It is pretty quiet even at 80 mph.

Is it a constant noise or does it oscillate a bit (basically with the frequency of rotation)? With worn tires you typically get a bit of oscillation and eventually a wubba wubba wubba noise.

·
Registered
50 Posts
What don't you like about them above 60?
The vehicle seems to wonder/drift in tge lane at greater speeds. Not huge, but noticable. I dont think it's an allignmemt issue... Seems more like a tire issue. At first I thought it was just them breaking in and settling to the vehicle, but after 2900km it remains the same. I guess ill find out more when I throw the winter set on.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
271 Posts
This whole tire thing is maddening! I still haven't changed out the Milestar bargain tires I got. I definitely wouldn't go back to the Hankook's, but I'm worried I'll spend more money on more expensive tires and not be anymore satisfied.

I tried to figure out why there seems to be such a difference on this Sorento and the only thing I can think of is... It's innately quiet enough that tire sound is a bigger impact than previous vehicles I've had. And the ride is firm and controlled enough that tires play a bigger part in cushioning and vibration isolation.

When I pulled off the Hankook's, I was actually shocked at how soft the sidewalls were. Never have I ever seen a sidewall so soft I could compress it with my hands.

My order of importance has changed... I wish you could test drive tires.
1 - Quiet
2 - Good ride
3 - Wet traction

·
Registered
44 Posts
I know, it's probably the quietest (or tied with) in its class and price-range, and also could rivals some entry level luxury cars in terms of overall ride and NVH. I'm still in my honeymoon phase of the car, only got 500km on it thus far. It's incredible.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My order of importance has changed... I wish you could test drive tires.
1 - Quiet
2 - Good ride
3 - Wet traction
To each their own, but I'd flip that list. Quiet is nice but stopping/starting/handling is always first for me. Ride is next. I'll trade some noise for better traction. Reality check: Unless I head to Tahoe, I don't need to worry about snow, and it's just rain/dry traction for me now and I can deal with a fairly closed pattern as long as it gets water out from under.

jim

·
Registered
44 Posts
Overall, I rather have no rattle/squeak sounds and a good ride than figuring out how to control the tire/wind noise. It's very quiet enough, much more than my old Mazda CX-5. It may just be a combination of road quality and tire quality.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts