Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento SX+ 3.3L V6 (red)
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just was washing the car the other day and noticed that there's a rip in the front chrome grille trim. Is this something that would be covered under warranty? I have no idea how it happened.

I also have to say--I love the car, but the fit and finish on the exterior leaves a little bit to be desired.

·
Registered
09 kia spectra ex,04 Neon,04 Chry. T&C, 08 Pontiac G6 gt
2,410 Posts
IMO...I'd doubt warranty would cover that. Looks to me like it happened from a stone or some type of road debris hitting it.
ONLY way to know for sure is to stop by your DEALER and inquire about it.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento SX, 2017 Ford Fusion SE 2.0 Ecoboost, 2001 Ford Ranger 4.0, 2000 BMW Z3 2.3
62 Posts
we have bubbling like that on ours; hasn't come apart like yours though. also clear coat is coming off of wheels.

someone posted recently about trying to get some corrosion fixed under warranty and got a big nope at the dealer; they claimed corrosion from road salt or something.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Looks like something impacted it like others have stated. You can try the dealership. I don’t think they are going to cover it IMO.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all. The more I think about it, the more I think you're all right and likely the dealer won't cover it :(

Any suggestions on alternatives to bringing it in for replacement? Is there some way to try to fix it (or at least protect it from further damage/corrosion) without full bumper replacement for X hundreds of dollars?

·
Registered
09 kia spectra ex,04 Neon,04 Chry. T&C, 08 Pontiac G6 gt
2,410 Posts
It's a grill shell, seperate from the whole bumper. Don't know myself the steps to remove and install the new chromed/shiney part.

EDIT: The point of my reply is you won't need to replace the WHOLE bumper fascia.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento LX (..and also drove a 2004.5 Spectra for 13+ years / 127k great miles)
55 Posts
Is that trim supposed to be chrome/silver? Or did it come originally as some kind of satin-y bronzed type of metallic finish. My '16s chrome grille is in perfect shape w/64k miles on it, in Michigan - and no indoor storage.

-SM 2016

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is that trim supposed to be chrome/silver? Or did it come originally as some kind of satin-y bronzed type of metallic finish. My '16s chrome grille is in perfect shape w/64k miles on it, in Michigan - and no indoor storage.

-SM 2016
It came in what appears to be chrome/silver to me...? Maybe it's a difference between US and Canada Sorentos?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ugh--there appear to be two versions of the grille--one with a camera, and one without. I have the SX+ (equivalent to SXL or SX Limited in the USA, I guess), which has the front-view and surround cameras--does that mean I need to buy the one with the camera? Is the camera built into the grill, or is it detachable (and thus perhaps I could just detach it from my current grille and reattach it to whatever non-camera grille I buy)?

·
Registered
2017 Sorento SXL
158 Posts
Ugh--there appear to be two versions of the grille--one with a camera, and one without. I have the SX+ (equivalent to SXL or SX Limited in the USA, I guess), which has the front-view and surround cameras--does that mean I need to buy the one with the camera? Is the camera built into the grill, or is it detachable (and thus perhaps I could just detach it from my current grille and reattach it to whatever non-camera grille I buy)?
SX+ Canadian version has the camera built into the grill. you need that specific grill as there is a hole and mounting brackets for the camera. SX grill doesnt have those. Good luck and Kia sucks for paint or upholstery warranty. My SX+ started to get rips in the fake leather and I got cockblocked by Kia big time.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SX+ Canadian version has the camera built into the grill. you need that specific grill as there is a hole and mounting brackets for the camera. SX grill doesnt have those. Good luck and Kia sucks for paint or upholstery warranty. My SX+ started to get rips in the fake leather and I got cockblocked by Kia big time.
Thanks--I guess I'll get the camera version of the grille. Do you happen to know if the camera comes apart easily from the existing grille, and can be placed easily into the new grille? I'm just trying to gauge how complex a job this is going to be (i.e. can I do it myself, or should I take the grille to the dealer or a third-party auto shop to have them install it).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts