Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Chevy Lumina, 2013 Kia Rio, 2002 Triumph Daytona 955i, 2005 Yamaha YZF-R6
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the Rio to the track a while back. Finally got around to gathering all of the pics and uploading my vids. So here they are:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Vids:

·
Registered
2013 Rio 5 EX White MT
105 Posts
Do you have the Veloster x-brace on it?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you have the Veloster x-brace on it?
No, it's completely stock. I only put in a 6 pt. harness in it because the seat is not really that supportive and the wheels and tires in the pics. And those are honestly a downgrade since they were just lying around from my brother's E30 and have really old and mismatched tires. I just put them on so as to not damage the stock tires.

I do plan on upgrading the brakes, suspension, and putting some good wheels and tires on it. But the car really doesn't need much bracing. Or at least I feel that money is better spent on on other parts.

·
Registered
Tanz. Blue 2012 Rio Sedan,Al White 2013 Toyota PriusV
384 Posts
No, it's completely stock. I only put in a 6 pt. harness in it because the seat is not really that supportive and the wheels and tires in the pics. And those are honestly a downgrade since they were just lying around from my brother's E30 and have really old and mismatched tires. I just put them on so as to not damage the stock tires.

I do plan on upgrading the brakes, suspension, and putting some good wheels and tires on it. But the car really doesn't need much bracing. Or at least I feel that money is better spent on on other parts.
Wooo awesome how do you like the handling right now?

I looked through our brakes so theres EBC green for better pads but havent looked at much else, as for suspension...Theres no coilovers that I know 100% made for our car and no springs yet either.

H&R are in development for the Rio Springs but nothing in production.

Its a sad aftermarket world for our little cars :(

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wooo awesome how do you like the handling right now?

I looked through our brakes so theres EBC green for better pads but havent looked at much else, as for suspension...Theres no coilovers that I know 100% made for our car and no springs yet either.

H&R are in development for the Rio Springs but nothing in production.

Its a sad aftermarket world for our little cars :(
The handling is pretty good, keeping in mind it's an economy subcompact. With good tires I'm sure I could have lowered a full second or two off my lap. Honestly it doesn't need much else to be fun. I want to do braided lines, track pads and good brake fluid so I can try the bigger tracks we have here that really punish stock brakes. And the springs just to lower the CG and reduce body roll a bit. But that's basically it. It's a fund little car as it is. :cool:

I've been researching the brake pad thing and thankfully we have some options. Gotta thank God for that B-Spec class where the Rio's in. As for suspension I think the H&R springs are already out and KW makes coilovers for the B-Spec Rio5. Obviously I won't go that way, it's too much money and honestly, overkill. The brake lines are something that can be done custom made from measurements or samples, so not really hard to get. And everything else that one would need for track days (harness bars, bucket seats, steering wheels/hubs, harnesses) can be bought universal. But this is my daily driver, and I don't plan on keeping it that long.

So the only items on my upgrade list are:
Kosei K1 TS wheels
Kumho Ecsta XS or BF Rival tires
Cobal or CT brake pads
Braided brake lines
Motul brake fluid
H&R springs

·
Registered
384 Posts
I've been researching the brake pad thing and thankfully we have some options. Gotta thank God for that B-Spec class where the Rio's in. As for suspension I think the H&R springs are already out and KW makes coilovers for the B-Spec Rio5. Obviously I won't go that way, it's too much money and honestly, overkill. The brake lines are something that can be done custom made from measurements or samples, so not really hard to get. And everything else that one would need for track days (harness bars, bucket seats, steering wheels/hubs, harnesses) can be bought universal. But this is my daily driver, and I don't plan on keeping it that long.
My vendor called H&R I tried ordering the springs but they still have it in development and cant buy it....I dont know why

Yea I doubt coils would be much use to me either...I dont adjust it that much to justify. All the rio5 stuff fits sedan as well for bspec? I was looking through their site and one picture popped out of the back with everything taken out...looked so roomy

Well if I ever plan to track it ill know who to talk to it about :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, everything that fits the Rio5 will fit our sedans. Except hatcback specific bodywork like wings, diffusers, etc.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm sticking to what the guys at KMS told me. Cobalt XP2 pads front and staying with the stockers on the rear.

Haven't heard about those Storm springs. For the price I'd go with the H&R's. I'm still doing some research on that though. I'm fairly certain we have the same springs as earlier ('00-'05) Rios (Same part number). If that's the case I'll go with Megan Racing springs.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I'm sticking to what the guys at KMS told me. Cobalt XP2 pads front and staying with the stockers on the rear.

Haven't heard about those Storm springs. For the price I'd go with the H&R's. I'm still doing some research on that though. I'm fairly certain we have the same springs as earlier ('00-'05) Rios (Same part number). If that's the case I'll go with Megan Racing springs.
Sounds good ill look into it when I need new brake pads or maybe something less intensive.

Im ordering the Storm springs tomo got them down to $270 shipped to door which is cheaper than H&R shipped to Washington area without driving and crossing the border and thats if I could order the dam springs from them in the first place.

Will post pics when I get them in. Looking at the pics on the product post it looks dam good and doing hardcore research in the Hyundai forums have yielded some good reviews

1 - 13 of 13 Posts