Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Kia Rio Hatch; 2004 Ford Falcon XR6
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this forum. I bought a Kia Rio 5 door hatch in August 2002 and it is now coming up to three years of age. I have read a few owner reviews about them on the net, and some owners, (including me), like the cars but a few others have totally slammed them. One U.S. owner decribed his as "A Piece of S**t." They were his asterisks, I didn't censor myself. Notably, the worst of the owner reviews seem to come from the U.S., which makes me wonder if the cars sold there are made differently from the ones they sell in Australia. I know from what I have read in motoring reviews on the net that they have different equipment levels in the U.S. and other markets, so perhaps the cars are made to different standards. I even found a website that is devoted to people who want to complain about Kia products, which mentions class actions etc, but I have been very satisfied with mine. It has had a few things fixed under warranty, but the dealer has been extremely helpful and I have no real complaint. I'd be interested if anyone else would like to comment. One excellent thing about the Rio is the fuel economy- you couldn't catch the bus for the money it costs in fuel.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a 2005 Kia Rio April 1st and must say I love it. Just home from a sveral thousand kilometer trip and could not have asked for a better car for the journey. Great on gas, maintained 120 km/h speeds through the mountains and handled like a sports car. I love it, best car I have ever had, and I have had a few! :D

·
Registered
2001 Kia Rio
107 Posts
I bought a 2001 Rio about six months ago. It has a little less than 40,000 miles on it. It's a cute little car but I don't particularly care for it. It uses too much gas and is underpowered. I've also had it in for some work. Now there is a recall on the wheels. Apparently they can fracture and cause some problems.

The KIA mechanic said that they were pretty good cars though. They haven't identified any major flaws with the model.

EDIT: Perhaps they get poorer gas mileage in the U.S.? I get about 30 miles per gallon and that is almost entirely highway miles. I once owned a 1988 Ford Festiva (another KIA product) and it got 41 miles per gallon. It wasn't fuel injected either.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've gotta agree with Phillip down under; I bought mine in Aug 2002 in Toronto Canada and never had much to complain about - awesome gas mileage; hauls tons of stuff - great factory stereo, cool looking little car too for 17k Canadian out the door. Love the warranty, but don't expect much if you sell it - they don't hold value; but the used ones are dirt cheap too so it's pretty much win-win as long as you don't get a lemon. Unfortunately it sounds like the reliability is hit or miss.
Mine was wrecked to the point of write off by another driver, but I've got enough from the insurance company to buy a used year-newer model (2003), and the 2003 looks better and has a better engine than the 2002. Win-win.
Lastly, think of this: a 2002 unmodified Kia Rio Wagon won the Newfoundland Targa Rally in it's class - pretty freaking tough car if you ask me (the Mini's it was up against didn't do so well and fell apart).

Cheers.

·
Registered
2004 Kia Rio
22 Posts
We've purchased 3 Kia's since they came to Canada:
- 2000 Sephia LS
- 2002 Spectra GSX
- 2004 Rio S
The Sephia was traded in for the Spectra, right now we still have the Spectra and the Rio. GREAT cars, love 'em, and the dealer support from KIA 417 is second to none. ANy issues - all minor - have been addressed quickly.

Now, for the US, Kia got launched in the mid-90's (I think) and apparantly had a lot of bugs to work out with US requirements. But hey, remember when Honda was around in the late 70's? SAme difference if you ask me, but it hasn't taken KIA 25 years to improve their product for the NA market. :haha:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have an '01 Rio. I was reading in consumer reports that they've definately been getting better over the years and in '01 they were about on par with other American models in defects per 100 cars. they've been improving since then though.

As for my car. Yup, its had minor problems, but definately nothing major.

I've read that the gas mileage is terrible and I'll agree its not great. However, I've also learned that a lot of that is in how you drive it. I may drive like an old granny but I also have cut my fuel costs by 30% in doing so.

Oh yeah, I test drove an automatic Rio.....yikes, gutless, truly gutless.

I wouldn't drive the automatic Rio (well, I hear they increased the HP since 2001 when I got mine) but the 5spd is much much better.

just my 2cents worth.

Jason

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well, we bought ours in Sept of 04. Its a 2004 Kia Rio Cinco Automatic, and I have had three large problems with the car and it has less than 9,000 miles on it. I get HORRIBLE gas mileage here in the US. I wish I could have had a better experience I love everything about my Kia except its often trips to the service center. :57:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Phillip
I am also new to this forum (Actually your post is what prompted me to sign up for this forum). I bought my Kia in March of 2003 and now have over 58,000 miles on it and have had NO problems to date. The gas mileage has been great (I'm getting about 34 MPG).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everyone, I'm only new to the forum but thought I'd share a few experiences.
The company I work for bought 6 Kia's back in 2003. The one that I drive has had the following issues:-
-Throttle cable unhooking itself from the throttle body (always good going from 120km/h to about 20km/h on the freeway)
-Driver's exterior door handle snap clean off the door
-Fuel gauge sender faulty leaving me with no functioning fuel gauge
-CD player constantly ERR 1 and ERR 3 messages, forcing CD's through the detachable face and ultimately braking the release clip off the face
-Clutch cable mounting snapping off the clutch pedal at 50,000kms
-Clutch cable fraying and snapping at 60,000kms
-Countless headlight globes blowing ??? can't explain that one but been through 5 sets in 2 years
-And finally and this happened to me last night whilst driving home from work, the clutch fork has pulled itself out of the gearbox, managed to get the car home by adjusting the clutch cable tension at the gearbox end but is going to be interesting to see the bill for this one....
The car has 112,000kms on it, I'm no boy racer, it gets a combination of city and country driving, to me this is completely unacceptable, kia service has covered the door handle, fuel sender and headunit face clip, thats it.. everything else has had to be paid for by the company meaning new pedal boxes, clutch cables, plus all the guess work by Kia to fix the problems, clutches, gearboxes in and out of the car plus downtime on the vehicle, usually a day or two for each time....
The worst part is that this isn't just confined to one vehicle, the other 5 have had constant clutch and gearbox dramas, fuel issues, none of the head units work correctly and probably the greatest "issue" experienced was a cracked crankshaft basically causing the whole bottom end to seize, the car had 55,000kms on it and KIA won't cover it under warranty.
Now I'm sure they're are alot of great cars out there, I don't know if these car's were all just built on a friday and the production line couldnt wait for the weekend or what the story is but all I can say to the people out there is spend your money carefully, in the end you get what you pay for.......

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have had a kia rio since late 2000, its a 5 speed manual and overall i would rate it as a good cheap car.

However the following problems have occured.

* Cracked exhaust manifold

* faulty stereo

* 2 recalls

*faulty seatbelt tensioner

and general wear and tear such as ignition leads, cam belt tensioners, noisy shocks, brakes etc

the most serious fault happened a few days ago and involved the clutch cable mounting bracket at the pedal box. the bracket bent and fractured causing the cable to pull through. This damaged teh cable and also suddenly left without a clutch in heavy traffic. currently the car is off the road awaiting reply from Kia Australia.
considering the car has done 200K it hasnt done too bad, still gets about 16km/litre but chews abit of oil. (i know kia's arnt supposed to last that long!!!)

I also have trouble tracking down aftermarket shocks, does anyone have a suggestion?

·
Registered
2002 Kia Rio
182 Posts
i have a 2002 kia rio and only thing went wrong were the two recalls that when i took it in they fixed it with no problems nice car great on gas and better handling then i would think a $5000 usd car would give me

1 - 12 of 12 Posts