Kia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow Kia owners,

I just stumbled upon this website and thought what better place to seek information about the multiple clutch repairs I’ve needed on my 01 Kia Rio.

My Rio is currently at the dealer where I’ve been quoted a price of $900 for a clutch repair. My car only has 55,000 km (34,000 miles) and this is the second clutch repair I’ve needed. The previous repair was 2 years ago at approx 30,000 km (18,600 miles) so its no longer covered under warranty. The first repair was not covered either but I strong-armed the manufacture into covering it (long story which I’ll be happy to share with anyone who’s interested). My feeling is the manufacture will be extremely reluctant to cover this wear item repair a second time but I’m sure as heck going to try. What makes this case more of a heartbreaker is the fact my lease expires in 2 measly weeks and the car has to be returned in a drivable condition. Two weeks! Why oh why couldn’t it hold it up for just 2 more weeks. Oh well, those are the breaks and I’ve got to deal with it.

Before anyone assumes it’s my reckless driving that has caused these premature clutch failures I’d like to point out that its not my driving. I’m a former military driver instructor and I’ve always cautioned my students about riding the clutch and other stick shift no-no’s.

So I pose the question: Anyone in the same boat in the past or present? If so what did you do about it and what advice can you offer cash strapped owner in my situation?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for confirming my suspicions about the clutch being a common problem. Now any advice? Anyone? [ECHO]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Originally posted by bradboy@Oct 12 2004, 10:57 AM
Thanks for confirming my suspicions about the clutch being a common problem. Now any advice? Anyone? [ECHO]

Hrm...only 4200 km on mine, and my clutch kinda groans as it goes in...hope I'm not in for same problem! A perhaps cheaper solution would be an aftermarket clutch? I think the stage 1 clutch from kia-fx.com is actually cheaper than the factory clutch, plus it's tougher!

Side question...as a skilled driver, what are the do's and dont's of standard driving...this is my first standard, and I want to know what to do to prolong clutch life! Any pointers/advice you could give (what not to do, how to properly take corners etc) would be much appreciated!

-Ashley

·
Registered
9 Posts
Gday Brad Boy,

Yeah, sounds familiar. Ive done a clutch in my rio too. I was 20 at the time, so they were the first to point the finger. However after many heated discussions with the dealer, i went to Kia them selves and agreed to re-assess and change their mind. The clutch was gone by about 35000 kms.

I strongly recommend contacting Kia direct, as the dealer hadnt known about the issue prior to my car. Kia are obviously far more statistically able to measure the problems than the dealer.

I also had to go to the "How many cars will i buy in a lifetime 6 or 7? - Want to ensure its never another kia?" line. Worked a treat!

:)

Good Luck Mate, hope you go ok.

Matt

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have recently experience failure of the retainer bracket behind the clutch pedal, causing the clutch cable to break through. subsequently i have lost use of the clutch and and need expensive repairs. did this happen to your Rio, and how did you get Kia to fix you problem outside of warranty? I am interested to hear!

anybody that is experiencing rough gear changes and needs to adjust their clutch should check this bracket immediately. I first assumed that the cable was stretching, however it was much worse!

prior to failure, the clutch groaned when being pressed

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm interested to know how you talked the manufacturer into picking up the cost of the 1st clutch.
I myself have a Carens 1.8 SE, I noticed an intermittant clutch slip at 17K miles again at approx 18K miles. Put the car in for 20K service and reported fault. Eventually the dealership got round to the repair at 21K miles and insists after all the so called tests it's down to driving style. I've been driving 35 years and had in the region of 12 cars, never had a car whose clutch didn't last 60K miles.
The repair will cost over £600, spoken to KIA and they say it's down to the dealership. The dealership never said what could have caused the intermittant fault. My view is the wear was down to 4000 miles on a slipping clutch!
Oh and by the way, I've just had the 3rd Exhaust System fitted.
KIA the thinking mans car, I THINK NOT.

·
Registered
2006 Kia Rio
5 Posts
okay, i recently bough a 2004 kia rio (leftover) in april. i am the original owner and have put 7200 miles on it. about a couple months ago i started to hear loud groans coming from my clutch. didnt think anything of it, everyone told me it just needed to be greased. About 2 weeks ago my car started this thing where it didnt want to accelerate. everytime i tried to pick up speed, it sounded like i was holding down the clutch when i wasnt and the engine would scream. Took it in today and they told me the clutch is burned out. at 7200 miles? wtf? i have owned 2 previous cars (both stick shift). my previous one was a 1988 honda accord that i had from 100,000 - 160,000 and ive never had ANY problems with the clutch. now this guy at the dealership is telling me that he has to talk to some main kia guy to see if this clutch is warranteed. now my question is, ive never paid too much attention to how warrantees work. but dont all kias come standard with a 60,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty? If not, how should i approach this? its ridiculous that i just bought this car and that im gona hafta put money that i shouldnt have to into it. this is the reason i bought a new car!

·
Registered
95 Posts
They do, but they don't. The clutch (on manuals of course), tires, brakes, and probably battery are warrantied for 1 year/12000 miles. (basically anything that you would replace on a regular basis over the years) The numbers may have changed now, but they're still not warrantied for the 60/60 they advertise as bumper to bumper.

·
Registered
95 Posts
And yes, that is standard across the auto industry. With the possible exception of cars like Mercedes or whatnot. Not sure about those.

·
Registered
95 Posts
If they say it's not, then say "Show me where in my warranty it excludes it" I know for sure that 7200 miles is definitely still under warranty.

·
Registered
2006 Kia Rio
5 Posts
Exactly. i can understand if they only cover it for limited time but 7200 miles? the car is brand new! theres just no way it was "our" fault for wear and tear like theyre accusing us of. But im going to go down there and ask them where that excludes it. Cuz this is real ****. thanks for your help..wish me luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just had my clutch go out in my 2004 kia rio after 20,000 miles. Had it towed to the dealer and they told me that it was driver misuse and they would not honor the warrenty. So I now have to pay 900 dollars to have it fixed. called Kia and they had a we dont care attitude.

·
Registered
16 Posts
why hello all sounds like i'm not the only one to have these probs but it dose sound like i'm the first to have both probs together got screwed on the clutch but the bracket to hold the cabel all parts ans work was free but now i've got 118'000 km's on my car the braket has gone agein now cuzing the only golt holdig the braket to be plulled from the fire wall so now it's time to fight with them but to all take a look at the braket more then likly it's fubar
:liebe011:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just brought my son's '04 Rio in and the clutch is gone at 22.000kms! WTF clutches should last longer than that. I have a '98 Cavalier in the driveway with 160K and on the original clutch. The Dealer won't warranty it and I'm p'd. They say we don't know how to drive a standard, I say BS. I guess I have to fight it directly with KIA. I was in the market for a newer vehicle and was looking at the Sportage but not now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hello all, bradboy checking in here after starting this thread about a year ago. I completely forgot about this site until I received a rash of messages from Rio suckers…er, I mean owners, who like me have experienced clutch issues. It seems inquiring minds want to know how I got those bloody **** at Kia to cover my first premature clutch failure at 30,000 km (18,600 miles). As you might expect I was unsuccessfull at getting coverage for the 2nd clutch failure at 55,000 km but I consider the first one a major coup and worth sharing. The valuable info I’m about to share with you is also applicable to all countries in varying degrees.

I’d like to point out I used to work at Ford Motor for a number of years so I’m aware that all car manufactures have what’s known in the industry as ‘goodwill’ warranties designed to assist customers who meet a certain criteria outside the warranty period. These ‘goodwill’ warranties are rarely used to cover wear items such as brake pads and clutches but there are rare occasions when they are. At Ford the criteria for receiving this goodwill assistance are as follows: (1) customer must have all maintenance performed at dealer (2) vehicle must be within 6 years/75,000 miles of warranty period (3) customer is allowed a maximum of 2 goodwill adjustments. When I worked at Ford I sometimes awarded as much as $2000 worth of After Warranty Assistance towards major break-downs such as engines, transmissions, and other odds and ends to customers who were deserving of it. Generally the Service Manager is empowered to provide Goodwill Assistance, however, there are occasions when the matter has to be escalated to a regional manger or the company’s customer service office or both. I’m not sure what the goodwill criteria is at Kia but I guess it’s about the same. Anyhow back to my story….

Armed with the above info I began the process of procuring assistance with the Service Manger, as everyone should. Knowing that wear items such as clutches rarely receive goodwill adjustments I knew my odds of getting help were slim but I couldn’t afford not to try. I informed the Service Manager the premature clutch failure could not have been caused by my driving and kindly requested the item be covered. As expected my request was flatly declined. On to next step.

Next I called the Customer Service number in my owner’s guide. The CSR I spoke with also declined my request for coverage in a harsh and umempathetic tone. Strike two. I politely thanked the beyatch for her time and requested the contact info for the Regional Manager. The rep assured me the complaint would be registered (which is important) but refused to provide the Regional Rep’s contact info. She did, however, mention his first name, which was Frank. Armed with this information I called the Customer service number later that evening, after hours, and received the voice message system, which allowed me to access the employee directory. So when I was prompted to do so I entered the first three digits of the employee’s first name and received the voicemail of the Regional Manager I was after! So I left a detailed message explaining my plight and received a call back 2 days later with a resolution. My clutch repair of $800 was fully covered. Yes I know it was a lot of hoops to jump through but the moral of story is with a little persistance and a lot of courtesy you can get help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well I got the Rio back but it cost me some. After complaining they waived the labour on the clutch install but I still had to pay for parts ($406.72). I am still ticked off that the clutch went so soon. They were adamant that it is my sons and my driving habits that caused the failure. I called the Customer Service line and the woman told me that I had to take it up with the owner of the dealership. She would not give the Regional Service Reps name or number, she was kind of rude I thought. Next step I guess is to see the owner or manager. What really concerns me is how long this next clutch will last! My son still has 3 1/2 years to go on his lease! Driving it now, the clutch seems almost too easy to push down, is that normal? Because it wasn't like that before. All in all this leaves a bad taste and I am not impressed with KIA at all!

·
Registered
16 Posts
well after i had my first clutch done at 35,000km the second has lasted a lot longer three and a half times longer i'm now on 118,00km but it's that dame bracket that is bugin me two in nine mounths and the whant me to pay half the cost on somthing that is there falt . well good louck to us all
ps i still like my kia. time to go in guns blazing :gunsmilie: hehehehehe

·
Registered
20 Posts
This post kinda surprises me, have other friends with rios that haven't had clutch problems...

My rio has 97000 kms on it, original clutch and still going strong. I don't baby this car at all.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.