Kia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
'12 Rio SLS, '13 XR6 Turbo, '15 XR8 S/C
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After 20,000KM this issue with our jerky takeoffs is getting past the point of amusement. The throttle basically falls away when it's not meant to and the thing bogs down and jerks on takeoff. From my extensive thinking, i've narrowed it down to what has to be one of the throttle cut-out switches.

can someone tell me:

1) is there a cutout switch for every pedal? as in clutch, brake and throttle itself?
2) is there a fuse to pull, or easy way of disabling the switches on each pedal to isolate if that's the problem?
3) does disabling these switches have any detrimental effect? other than cruise control that is

also does anyone have a link to a workshop manual for this thing? need to check the TPS too.

·
Registered
Kia 2015 Sportage Platinum diesel and 2013 Rio 3 door SLS
593 Posts
Can appreciate where you are coming from, albeit a bit different on wife's auto SLS.
Go into a corner (in auto) at around 30 kph, and try to accellerate out of it and there's just nothing there - almost like it's in too high a gear. Foot flat to the floor and there's just a massive flat spot there.
Finally figures out what it is supposed to be doing and then it's away.
Had Service look at it during the 3000km check and they re-flashed the auto trans program and checked for any errors and/or updates. Seemed OK until we were nearly home, then it did it again and has been doing it since.
Seems to be less severe (or even noticeable) if I drive and use the manual mode.

Similar - but different - to your problem? Sorry to hijack.

Getting back to your question - would the manual have a circuit on the clutch? Accellerator yes, because it's fly-by-wire correct? Brake yes, because it's all hooked up to the ABS/ESC. Wouldn't have thought clutch would be involved.
Comes back to ECU? Will be interesting to hear if o/seas has either of these problems.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,235 Posts
I think this has been covered before. Switch on clutch for CC purposes modifies accelerator response. This is completely unacceptable. I had a sample of this behaviour from my CVT Maxima when I thought I'd dry out the brakes by gently applying the brake pedal while driving along at a constant speed (not using CC). Accelerator program objected to this and cut the power.

imay has a completely different problem, and naturally it is better in manual mode.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
interesting issue imay.. and yes as Wry`Cuda said, there is a cutout switch on the clutch to disable cruise control when the clutch is depressed. Your issue sounds like a kick back issue, mine is a useless throttle but hey it could be the same problem

i just wanna find out if i can yank a fuse out to disable the switches and go from there.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,235 Posts
I just wanna find out if i can yank a fuse out to disable the switches and go from there.
I think some other guy on the forum just yanked a wire off the switch. What about adjusting the mounting of the switch so that it operates near the clutch take-up point? Brake switch would also operate brake light as well, so don't fool with that one.

A good manual shift is a joy to use. Mazda 2 was great, also test-drove a Mazda MX-5 and that was "rather good" in the gear-change department. Worst car I ever drove was Daihatsu manual. Gear-change like a bag-full of antlers, off-set pedals, steering wheel only vaguely related to road wheels...

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i don't want to do it permanently, i'm just trying to problem solve - i'm no ditz don't worry about that haha

yeah a nice manual gearbox makes for a fun drive, and at times this thing is spot on, well once every two months roughly. Very frustrating.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, just joined the forum. I noticed the same problem, and my LX is a manual with no cruise control. I am guessing this hesitation is part of the computer controlled throttle response, part of the stability control. I tried turning off the traction control and had the same hesitation. I will probably try to locate and pull the fuse and see if this stops it. No doubt it is there to protect us from ourselves. It is exactly the same feeling as the fuel cut on my Nissan when the tires would otherwise spin- part of the no-fun nanny system.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.