Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Rio 5-door 1.1 CRDi Manual, 75hp, 2013
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a Kia Rio 5-door 1.1 CRDi Manual, 75hp, 2013 and im experience a very strange issue. The car is unresponsive when i try to unlock it with the key fob and when it is open with the physical key, nothing lights up and is unable to start. However, after some time of messing around with different things, everything will light up and the car would start with no problems. At times it would take 5 mins and sometimes nothing will happen for about 30 mins and then come to life. So far I have not been able to pin point, what triggers the car to respond. The problem normally occurs after being parked for a few days and once it gets going, it behaves normally for the rest of the day. I have tried changing the batteries of the key fob and the car battery is at 12.6V when it wont start. Called up a garage and they insist it is the car battery as it is 8 years old. Anyone experience a similar problem or have an idea what could be wrong?

·
Registered
2014 Kia Rio
165 Posts
Many strange things can happen if the battery is bad. What do you mean by "messing around with a few things"? Have you checked that all the cables are securely connected to the battery? Have you had the battery tested? Eight years is very long for a battery.

·
Registered
Kia Rio 5-door 1.1 CRDi Manual, 75hp, 2013
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many strange things can happen if the battery is bad. What do you mean by "messing around with a few things"? Have you checked that all the cables are securely connected to the battery? Have you had the battery tested? Eight years is very long for a battery.
One time i manage to get the car to response by locking the driver door manually with the physical key and opened the rear passenger door. The dash came to life and said no key detected. Manage to get it to reacted twice that way but doesnt work anymore. Other times it comes on by itself.

I have checked the battery connections and cleaned them, but have not gotten it tested. It probably is because of an old battery but i have my doubts because when the starts reacting/dash coming on/lights working, the motor starts immediately without any issues when the button is pushed. I would like to try a few things before taking it in. I read it could be an earthing issue. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2014 Kia Rio
165 Posts
My only idea is just checking everything is connected securely. Cables under the dash, cables connected to fuse boxes, looking inside fuse boxes. Intermittent electrical issues can be very hard to determine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts