Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2020 kia sportage lx awd
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone here is runnin 20x10 rims on newer style sportage? Also, any diff in handling? What offset are u runnin. Pictures/info would be great. Thanks. Currently lookin to get 20x10s with a 40 offset and wondering if itd work with spacers

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,063 Posts
Why you would want to do that and get a worse ride, lower mpg, more flat tires and bent rims is beyond me. Make sure you never go off road. However, go to Tirerack and they will have a +2 solution for you. My guess is that there will be 20x8 rims but you're going to have a difficult time with 10 inch rims and fit -- they will poke a bit. Also, be careful about hydroplaning and using those tires in snow and wet conditions. Also, turning the front wheels will be a bit heavier....

·
Registered
2018 Sportage LX AWD
21 Posts
Just wondering if anyone here is runnin 20x10 rims on newer style sportage? Also, any diff in handling? What offset are u runnin. Pictures/info would be great. Thanks. Currently lookin to get 20x10s with a 40 offset and wondering if itd work with spacers
follow this link
you would have to get 265/40 R20 tires which I say is too wide.

·
Registered
2018 Sportage LX AWD
21 Posts

·
Registered
2020 kia sportage lx awd
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ive used the wheel calculators online without detailed specs like back spacing and fender clearance etc. Scrub radius is only 3mm diff. According to jus width and offset and height etc they would fit. I was plan on using 235 40 tires. I kno its a bit of a stretch but thats what im after. They are only goin to be used in the summer months and no off roading. The roads here are not to bad. Ive used bf Goodrich sport comps with no issues in the rain but on 17s. I kno itd be a bit rougher ride but cant be much worse then stock 19s? I am trying to get a concave rim and looking at niche. According to some of the sites ive been on when using the search for what will fit the 10" will fit but jus wanted real world knowledge. Thanks

·
Registered
2017 Sportage LX
52 Posts
If you want the best ride 17 in tires will give you the best ride the larger rims get worse as you get bigger. But if you're looking for a worse ride go for it.

·
Registered
Sportage 2.0crdi aut 4wd -16
19 Posts
I'm using 20x8,5 with ET44 (I think my winter set is 20x8,5 ET42 and has same tire size with studded tires). Wheel is only 10,6kg and keeping those light will make it more comfortable and make "active" driving enjoyable. Tires are 245/45/20 so 4% bigger than original size. While this adds to the weight, on positive side it makes driving more comfortable on bad surfaces and fills wheel wells much nicer (looks like it has a lowering kit, but has actually more ground clearance). With 8,5" wheel I think ET42 is max you can go with these tires so from that you calculate your desired ET with 10" wheel.

And yes, I know 13" rims would be much better according people here, but at least here Sportages and Kias in general are old people cars, so something had to be done. I also have to drive very bad roads (gravel, mud, big potholes on asfalt) almost every day, and have no complaints with these setups.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,063 Posts
Ive used the wheel calculators online without detailed specs like back spacing and fender clearance etc. Scrub radius is only 3mm diff. According to jus width and offset and height etc they would fit. I was plan on using 235 40 tires. I kno its a bit of a stretch but thats what im after. They are only goin to be used in the summer months and no off roading. The roads here are not to bad. Ive used bf Goodrich sport comps with no issues in the rain but on 17s. I kno itd be a bit rougher ride but cant be much worse then stock 19s? I am trying to get a concave rim and looking at niche. According to some of the sites ive been on when using the search for what will fit the 10" will fit but jus wanted real world knowledge. Thanks
If you are going with 235's, then the rims should be a max of 8.5" or else it is unsafe. The ride will be noticeably rougher with 20's because of the 40 profile. I noticed a difference between the EX and SX in terms of ride.

·
Registered
2020 kia sportage lx awd
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the input. Something to consider. Also after looking at images online the 235s on 10" is too much stretch for me. Might jus have to get a narrower concave wheel

·
Registered
2017 Sportage LX
52 Posts
Rvoll
is correct 20 inch tires will be more uncomfortable and no one said anything about using 13 inch tires what a dumb comment.

·
Registered
Sportage 2.0crdi aut 4wd -16
19 Posts
Here's pictures how my summer 20" setup looks like. It's a concave wheel too, but with 8,5" and ET like that it's hard to notice. Would really want 21" set, but couldn't find 8,5" with correct ET.

Rvoll
is correct 20 inch tires will be more uncomfortable and no one said anything about using 13 inch tires what a dumb comment.
Well, if 17" set is much better than 20", then 13" should be even better than that?

If someone asks about 20"x10" wheels, he probably isn't looking for info about comfortable levels or off-road properties. Just waiting someone to tell how unsafe it is using non factory spec tire/wheel combo because ESP isn't calibrated for it...?

·
Registered
2020 kia sportage lx awd
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here's pictures how my summer 20" setup looks like. It's a concave wheel too, but with 8,5" and ET like that it's hard to notice. Would really want 21" set, but couldn't find 8,5" with correct ET.

Well, if 17" set is much better than 20", then 13" should be even better than that?

If someone asks about 20"x10" wheels, he probably isn't looking for info about comfortable levels or off-road properties. Just waiting someone to tell how unsafe it is using non factory spec tire/wheel combo because ESP isn't calibrated for it...?
Thanks for the pics. Looks good! What offset u using? And tire size.

·
Registered
2020 kia sportage lx awd
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

[/QUOTE nevermind i forgot u had already said that lol

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,063 Posts
Rvoll
If that is your attitude, then why aren't you looking at 24" rims at the minimum????? When you make a change to the way a car is designed, there are always compromises. The lower the profile of the tire, the harder the ride because you have a smaller, stiffer, sidewall. Cars designed for very low profile tires also have suspension changes to compensate for it. People also look at slamming their car, i.e., lowering it. Then you have less spring travel, potential bottoming, and can start feeling every bump you go over. What is really dumb, is making a comment like that without any understanding of wheels, tires, and suspension geometry. I also think that bigger wheels make a car look better, more sporty, but people have to then make their own decisions on how important look is to the way it rides, handles, and feels. It is always a trade-off. I have a sports car with low profile tires, a very stiff suspension, a tight turning radius, and very little weight. I can take that car out on the twisties and have a ball driving it. It's not an SUV or a limo. For that type of driving, it makes sense. People here have found out that moving down to a 17" rim does, indeed, provide a better ride. For an SUV, that makes a lot of sense. The tire choice can also make a difference with some having harder compounds and some softer. You have to make your choices and if looks are more important to you than performance, then it's your money, and your rear end, and you should choose what you like. In a forum like this, I believe it is important to understand these types of differences and that's why people post these comments. Listen to what people are saying and you might learn something. I have driven, autocrossed, tracked, and modified cars for the past 58 years. I love the new technologies and am not old school in any sense of the word. And I still learn something new every day from forums like this from people who have different backgrounds and experiences.... Good luck with your choices....

·
Registered
2020 kia sportage lx awd
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So i bought some rims. Decided to go with 20x8.5 w/+35 offset and 245 40 r20 tires. Im getting them installed tomorrow. Ill update with info/ pics.

·
Registered
2020 kia sportage lx awd
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So after a bit of driving with my new wheels i thought id update for anyone wanting info. The ride itself isnt much diff. U can notice slightly the wheels are heavier. Havnt drove enough to notice any fuel mileage change. Does handel better. Here is a pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Sportage GT-Line (AUS)
24 Posts
I'm on a wider set and haven't looked back. I've personally found that there's a bit more overall grip to the road, of course we don't drive in snow here so I dont have winter tires etc. It also meant I've got a bit more width to the contact points and I feel more stable. My mate just bought a the same model to me in a 2nd hand version with OEM all over and the handling difference is night and day when I drive it in comparison but he doesn't mind as he's purely a city driver. Some pics below:

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,063 Posts
I'm on a wider set and haven't looked back. I've personally found that there's a bit more overall grip to the road, of course we don't drive in snow here so I dont have winter tires etc. It also meant I've got a bit more width to the contact points and I feel more stable. My mate just bought a the same model to me in a 2nd hand version with OEM all over and the handling difference is night and day when I drive it in comparison but he doesn't mind as he's purely a city driver.
You do need new rims for much wider tires, right? Over the years, I've done a lot of tracking with many different wheel/tire setups. For pure handling, you don't need wider tires than the 245's that come with the SX. In fact, wider tires can make handling worse especially with hydroplaning and slick surfaces as there is less pressure per square inch on the contact patch. And of course, if you drive on snow it's like putting ski's on the car. There is much more of a difference with your tire choice. If I put a high performance summer tire of normal size on my car, I could probably out track you all day long because I would have just as much lateral grip and less unsprung weight. The OEM tires that come on most cars are not very good except if you buy a high end vehicle. In fact, on many of the cars I have bought, I immediately changed the tire as soon as my new car was delivered. I didn't do that with this car because the car is used locally primarily by my wife. However, on my sports car, I took off the factory Primacies and put on the PS4S on the day of my delivery and it made a world of difference changing the car from a drift car to a rail car..... When I change the tires on this Sportage, I'll move to a quiet tire and not necessarily a high performance tire to reduce road noise.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts