Kia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there guys.
I recently purchased a 96 sephia about 4 months ago. A couple weeks back i had a friend of a friend so some work to it for me (regular maintence work...new tires, new rotors, new pads, new alt belt, and new power steering belt)
This car has never given me any trouble so far, damn thing runs like a champ!
But when i got it back from having all this work done, i noticed the right headlight was out. No biggie right? Well after replacing the bulb, i came to realize not only did it still not work, the bulb never blew. A friend suggested..(because i drive home at midnight every night) hey just use high beams for now..well...that doesnt work either :huh: The parking light on the side of that works fine tho..
So my question is what could this be? And is it an easy fix? Im no mechanic by all means, but the fiance and his dad have worked on engines many times. He just didnt want to touch it because hes never really done electrical work and wanted to see if anyone could let us know how to fix it? Thanks in advance! And wth..heres a pic =P

Attachments

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

Nice pic of the Sephia. :)

--
Each headlamp has (3) wires running to it:

Red/Black is (+12) volts low beam,
Red/Yellow is (+12) volts high beam,

Black is the (-12) volt ground wire, runs to a ground point on the body/frame of the vehicle.

You will need an analog or digital multimeter to perform some voltage testing:
(a digital multimeter, with a continuity test function is preferred),

Disconnect the issue headlamp connector,

With the headlamp switch on, low beam test: (power supplied from the engine compartment fuse box, low beam fuse..)

1. Positive probe in the Red/Black connector,
2. Negative probe against a good body/frame ground, should read +12 volts,

With the headlamp switch on, high beams selected, high beam test: (power supplied from the engine compartment fuse box, high beam fuse..)

1. Positive probe in the Red/Yellow connector,
2. Negative probe against a good body/frame ground, should read +12 volts,

With the headlamp switch off / key out / ground test:
1. Negative probe in the Black connector,
2. Positive probe against a good body/frame ground, multimeter should beep and/or change display to "short", indicating continuity.

--
* Both headlamps are controlled off the (same) relay circuit. If you are getting (+12) volts to one headlamp, power should be supplied to the other headlamp.

* If (1) headlamp is working and the other is not, common causes of headlamp issues are:

1. Corroded wiring and/or connectors at the headlamp connector plug,
2. Corroded wiring and/or connector at the headlamp ground ring.

--

Hope this helps,

Regards,
GottaCruise

1 - 2 of 2 Posts