Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Sportage
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1999 Sportage, 4x2, automatic.
I have not had time to get under this or take the wheel off to inspect.
Looking for general history problems of others so to look at said or other problems in this cars area. Basically a time saver, tear it apart once, not disassemble it 20 times. ;)

Issue: Front right, axle / wheel area noise.
Accelerating from stop a "whirrrr" (kinda like a bearing) noise starts and builds in volume as the speed of the wheel increases. It's not in conjunction with the trans shifting.
There's no vibrations or pulling to one side or other. Nor any other noises in R-L turns all the way to steering lock.
I'm assuming it's a wheel bearing BUT if there's a history of carrier bearing problems on this vehicle...? I have no idea, do you? :confused:

WHILE I'M HERE....
What oil brand has been found to be best for this 2.0 engine?
Example: My GoldWing 1500 runs best using Chevron's Delo 400LE, yup diesel oil.

THANKS AHEAD:
FM

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
If the noise is speed-related, I would suspect a wheel bearing also.. AFAIK no 'carrier bearing' issues as a common complaint here on the forum..

re: oil, having good luck w/ 5w-30 synth-blend (Rotella) here.. But have used inexpensive quality 'dino' oil on sale (Peak-brand) for many years & shorter interval changes, using either KIA OEM or WIX-brand oil filters here.

re: Shorter interval changes: I found the Sporty motors tend to run hotter vs. other engines, usually change at 4,000 miles in Summer, 3,000-3,500 miles Winter months when 4x4 is engaged - looking forward to see how the synth-blend holds up to 4x4 use soon..

Regards,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
1999 Sportage
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks GottaCruise.
Was wondering if there was anyone around this forum, seemed dead.

I can only drive and listen to the noise. My neck isn't long nuff to stick out the window and near the axle to pinpoint it's location. My girl lost her dad doing the "ear near the spinning drive shaft to locate noise" so she's DEAD SET I DO NOT do it.

I suspected 5w-30 oil for the winter, just didn't know what brand was the engines preference. FILTERS, I already have a couple of WIX that were on sale, $0.99 each. :eek: Someone else's overstock from a car sale. Lucky me no one else bidded, HOO-AH!

I tried synthetic oil, didn't do much good in the Wing, it made a lot of metal to metal noise until I went Delo 400 LE.

floyd

1 - 3 of 3 Posts