Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

Did anyone on this forum have any luck "softening" the Borrego? Anyone use any aftermarket parts besides tires? Anyone receive any advice from mechanics? This vehicle has been very reliable so far, and I dont' have any other complaints what-so-ever. I realize it is truck based, but this thing is rougher than any of the Pickups that are currently on the market by a longshot. I realize the positives/negatives of body on frame, and the tight suspension allows it to handle very well and all that, but we are just getting tired of thrashing around like we are driving a dump truck. I may trade it in or sell it, but I just wanted to check to see if anyone else has made changes that work. My young son actually prefers to go in the "small car" (a Toyota Corolla), he says that when the big car hits bumps it hurts (and yes his car seat is installed correctly).

Thanks, and I don't mean the above paragraph as an insult to any Borrego owners, overall it is a great vehicle.

Thanks.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hi Folks,

Did anyone on this forum have any luck "softening" the Borrego? Anyone use any aftermarket parts besides tires? Anyone receive any advice from mechanics? This vehicle has been very reliable so far, and I dont' have any other complaints what-so-ever. I realize it is truck based, but this thing is rougher than any of the Pickups that are currently on the market by a longshot. I realize the positives/negatives of body on frame, and the tight suspension allows it to handle very well and all that, but we are just getting tired of thrashing around like we are driving a dump truck. I may trade it in or sell it, but I just wanted to check to see if anyone else has made changes that work. My young son actually prefers to go in the "small car" (a Toyota Corolla), he says that when the big car hits bumps it hurts (and yes his car seat is installed correctly).

Thanks, and I don't mean the above paragraph as an insult to any Borrego owners, overall it is a great vehicle.

Thanks.
An owner in Russia did some suspension mods and included a video of the ride results.
Check it out:
http://www.kia-forums.com/kia-mohave-borrego/73819-question-russia.html

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mine has a decent ride compared to SUV's I owned in the past. Check the tires for correct pressure. Recommended cold pressure is on the sticker, open the drivers door. Overinflating will cause a harsh ride. However...... it will not ride ride like a luxury car no matter what you do.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll check out the Russia link.

I do check the tire pressure often. I realize it will never ride like a luxury vehicle, I am just hoping that it can be improved somewhat. It handles well around turns, good turning radius, fairly smooth on the highway etc. But the bump factor around town is just annoying me more and more the longer I own it. It didn't seem to bother me at first, maybe it was due to the low price, or that it looks so nice...not sure. Might be my own fault for not test driving it for a longer period of time. Either way when it's paid off it will make a nice toy for off-roading if I get the urge.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Getting rid of the stock hankooks and replacing them with michelin latitude tour tires softened the ride up very nicely for me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
http://www.carplaza.co.kr/shop/shopdetail.html?branduid=10003&search=%B8%F0
On this complete set Koreans sometimes sell МОHАVЕ. But officially BILSTEIN for МОHАVЕ shock-absorbers doesn't do.
The complete set costs 1850$.
It is possible to put shock-absorbers Rancho. But it is necessary to make a little most.
Number RANCHO 999276 on all 4 points + Rancho RS999705 - My Ride Wireless Controller.
But it will be necessary to lift the car on 1 see
It is possible to put still Koni Heavy Track Raid, but in this variant it is necessary to alter much.
We simply reconstruct shock-absorbers from Mohave on technology BILSTEIN, but specially under MOHAVE and all. It turns out 550$ and official диллер has no claims.
In all variants the vertical and horizontal swing disappears. The suspended weights behave imperceptibly and наровности roads aren't transferred to a wheel and pedals.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I realize it is truck based, but this thing is rougher than any of the Pickups that are currently on the market by a longshot. I realize the positives/negatives of body on frame, and the tight suspension allows it to handle very well and all that, but we are just getting tired of thrashing around like we are driving a dump truck.
Ironically my wife went from a Corolla to the Borrego and doesn't mind the ride at all, but she also used to drive with me in my F-350 4x4 a lot. I don't find the ride all that bad myself-certainly much better than a pickup. Heavy duty shocks are going to be the only thing that's going to help.

·
Registered
24 Posts
???????? ???? - ???????????? Bilstein ? Koni (???????? FAQ!) • ??? ??????
This link can follow any responses to learn numbers Bilstein shocks and Koni, who is set on the KIA MOHAVE in Russia. You can read it using Google Chrome.
For these KONI must necessarily change the front springs. For Bilstein desirable, too, as in my link above.
The original shock absorbers at the Borrego / Mohave just do not work.
And then will come happiness and on your street.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm wondering about doing a body lift, and it might be possible to solve this problem at the same time.

If we could find some body lift pucks that are softer than the originals they would provide more shock absorption and isolation from road noise.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I so agree with NewfieRock! I blame myself for not taking a longer test drive too, but dang the vehicle was such a deal at the price we paid. I love everything else about it...except the ride!! Just terrible. I have trouble believing that tires alone will solve the problem though.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I put Toyo versado cuv tires on last week and the ride is so much better. Believe it. Rick2456 put on Michelin tires and has been saying for the past 2 years how much better his ride is. I cant speak for all new tires, but I know I did alot of research before buying mine and it came down to Michelins or Toyos. I should have put them on along time ago.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The V8 Borrego being able to tow 7500 LBS has a stiffer suspension than the V6 Borrego. I put a set of General Grabber HTS on my V6 Borrego for $600 OTD and it rides a bit smoother than with the original Hankooks. It is doubtful that different tires on a V8 Borrego will yield much ride difference. There aren't many (if any) vehicles with a soft ride that can tow up to 7500 LBS. If you don't have to tow something over 4000 LBS, the V6 rides a little smoother and can tow most toys under 5000 LBS.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Folks,

I originated this thread. Part of the problem I had is that the shocks were leaking on my Borrego. I have the V6 model. The local dealership and Kia Canada are having a lot of trouble getting an ETA on the shocks. These particular shocks are on back order with no ETA.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
10 Participants
NewfieRock
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing