Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went back five pages looking for the Sportage mod thread and gave up.

Anyway, threw this thing on a couple days ago. Easy as can be to install, no performance issues, sounds pretty cool. My biggest issue is that it doesn't work quite the way it would on a manual transmission, since on an auto you don't release the throttle with every shift (for the most part). Otherwise, it is fun to hear and amusing to see people who know what BOVs are look at a Sportage making that sound.

Video isn't great, residential roads, so I couldn't really get on it.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone else get this thing?

·
Registered
1985 Subaru Loyale (wagon), 2000 Kia Sephia (sedan), and 1969 Mercury Comet (coupé)
2,857 Posts
I feel "Lost in Translation" once again...

Could you, Please, explain what exactly is a BOV and what it does?

Kind Regards.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento LX AWD 2.4L w/ Convenience Package, 2018 Mitsubishi Outlander SE-AWC
565 Posts
Blow Off Valve

·
Registered
2011 KIA Sportage SX, 2016 Ford Focus RS
478 Posts
I feel "Lost in Translation" once again...

Could you, Please, explain what exactly is a BOV and what it does?

Kind Regards.
Blow Off Valve is useful for releasing pressure in the intake system when you let off the throttle during a shift. You want to release the pressure otherwise it will push back into the turbo. Accelerated turbo damage and performance degradation result. In an automatic transmission it doesn't matter nearly as much since you don't lift off throttle during shifts.

The Sportage has a recirculation valve, which is the same thing as BOV except instead of dumping pressure to atmosphere it dumps it back into the intake between the filter and turbo.

For a basically stock Sportage an aftermarket BOV serves no performance purpose other than to look cool and make cool sounds.

·
Registered
1985 Subaru Loyale (wagon), 2000 Kia Sephia (sedan), and 1969 Mercury Comet (coupé)
2,857 Posts
... For a basically stock Sportage an aftermarket BOV serves no performance purpose other than to look cool and make cool sounds.
Thank you Sir, for such a complete and Useful explanation.

I learn new things and english meanings, everyday. :grin:

Kind Regards.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For a basically stock Sportage an aftermarket BOV serves no performance purpose other than to look cool and make cool sounds.
Yep. I was bored and the sound is neat, there is no performance gains whatsoever.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1 - 10 of 10 Posts