Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Kia Optima, 2006 Kia Sportage, 2008 Kia Cerato, 2013 Kia Sportage
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Video Reviews Sportage vs X1 vs Freelander and others

Found a review Auto Express did of our beloved Kia Sportage comparing it to the BMW X1 and the Land Rover Freelander.

Our Sportage was up to the task and came out with flying colors :) in this review. This one is definetly a great talking point, to bring out with BMW owners, particularly the part of the sportage being able to go some places the X1 would have trouble going.

Aditonally I found some additional video reviews here:

Outlander vs the sportage

Sportage vs the Tiguan

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
840 Posts
In what universe is the Sportage comparable to a BMW or Land Rover?

I love my Sportage and all but I wouldn't cross-shop those models. Cool videos though, always fun to watch, thanks for posting them. =)

Man, the Euro versions get some cool stuff. Heated rear seats too? Why would Kia think we wouldn't want that in our models as well?

·
Registered
2015 Sorento EX V6 AWD Ebony Black
1,153 Posts
Surprising, & Interesting! Thanks for the post ;)
It's nice to know the Sportage has some more good features for it's class.

·
Registered
1.7 CRDI sand track
540 Posts
Heated seats in back,folding mirrors,car turns on hazard lights on its own when breaking hard,cornering lamps... that sums it up probably.

·
Registered
554 Posts
In what universe is the Sportage comparable to a BMW or Land Rover? I love my Sportage and all but I wouldn't cross-shop those models
I do. A high-end Sportage can compete on useful features. It wins on power to weight ratio. If small-dimensions are better, Sportage wins over X3s and MLs. Sportage has done better in the safety tests I've seen. Price is easy. Fuel economy, turning circle, on specs Kia does well. For brand cachet, BMW stomps Kia, which matters to many people, who would be comparing X6 and ML63 and Range Rover and Cayenne, not Land Rover or X1 etc. I'm in the minority, but that's how I think :)

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
840 Posts
I do. A high-end Sportage can compete on useful features. It wins on power to weight ratio. If small-dimensions are better, Sportage wins over X3s and MLs. Sportage has done better in the safety tests I've seen. Price is easy. Fuel economy, turning circle, on specs Kia does well. For brand cachet, BMW stomps Kia, which matters to many people, who would be comparing X6 and ML63 and Range Rover and Cayenne, not Land Rover or X1 etc. I'm in the minority, but that's how I think :)
I own a "top of the line" SX. AWD but who cares. The Sportage shows how cheap it is when compared to BMW, Audi, etc. Bang for the buck.....Kia has it. Just saying, lets not get silly. Audi, BMW, etc, they trump Kia. Not like I die inside but I understand.

·
Registered
1.7 CRDI sand track
540 Posts
I think KIA could easily build a car totally comparable to those high end cars,but they know it wouldn't sell as much. You must give it to them for strategy. Sale numbers is all that matter.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
840 Posts
True statement. I see Kias everywhere as of late. My cousin actually just bought a Sorrento on my recommendation. Well okay, I recommended the Sportage but he wanted more room.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I own a "top of the line" SX. AWD but who cares. The Sportage shows how cheap it is when compared to BMW, Audi, etc. Bang for the buck.....Kia has it. Just saying, lets not get silly. Audi, BMW, etc, they trump Kia. Not like I die inside but I understand.
Yeah. It's not a fan-boy thing to see SX superior in many specifications. It's no tragedy to admit preferring a free BMW to a free Kia.

I just did a quick spec comparison (Autodata, blame them if innacurate) to BMW X1 35i, just to show the way I think. It has a better passenger seat, higher cost, xenon headlights, half the warranty, nicer sunroof, +1L & 2 cylinders, worse gas mileage, +40 hp and +30 torque, uses premium fuel, longer/narrower/shorter, +425lb curb weight, +1.2m turning circle, far less luggage volume, and doesn't officially tow weight. 0-60 times seem similar. 28i has less power but better fuel mileage. Specifications are mixed tradeoffs. Depending on what you want, Sportage can certainly win, even ignoring price.

Kia's interior is more synthetic, but I wasn't impressed with BMW's X3 interior, which felt like a bargain-version X5. I haven't seen the X1 interior.

Subjectively, people will generally prefer BMW. I wish Kia would aim a Sportage trim level at the luxury market (eg. the same seats for the driver and passenger), since they have favourably-comparable specifications. That, or I wish luxury cars would compete harder on specifications.

·
Premium Member
2017 Kia Niro Touring w/Tech Pkg, Blue/Grey
1,945 Posts
Lol..............

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
840 Posts
I bet the BMW's "leather wrapped" steering wheel doesn't feel and look like plastic.

It is pretty fanboyish to put them in the same category. Has Kia been stepping it up and putting out some great products lately? You bet. But they are up there with Honda, Nissan, etc, not Audi, BMW or Land Rover. Granted, a lot of people buy luxury brands for the name, but to insinuate that Kia is comparable is nuts, IMO.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I'm just no good at car culture :)

ISTR the BMW X3 steering wheel felt like solid rubber. The Sportage's ergonomic steering wheel reminded me of the AMG steering wheel in shape. I think someone laughed the last time I mentioned that too.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
840 Posts
I gotta say, I really liked the feel of the steering wheel in my 350Z (and the steering as well). I just don't know what the heck Kia thought it was doing with whatever it is that they covered the steering wheel with. Rawhide dyed black, lol.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I gotta say, I hate my Z-car steering wheel (see below). Two spokes makes me feel like I'm driving a quirky old Citroen, and the badge is surrounded with gliterry bits. Stop -- Momotime.

I'm unfortunately & temporarily driving a Caddilac, with fake wood inset to its fake leather steering wheel, slippery and uneven and plain-round. I've found that a Mercedes can get real leather staining on the steering wheel, as if I'll call my local tanner for re-wrapping. Infiniti has fantastic perforated black leather for their steering wheels. Turning quickly with sharp steering and an ergonomic AMG-style steering wheel just feels right. Sportage's leather is mostly plastic, and I avoid synthetic materials, but sometimes it's inert and durable.
--

Anyone else here like Kia for their challenging the upmarket brands? From online prices, X1 28i is ~$4kUSD more than an SX. If BMW dropped the price 4k, would anyone here trade in? The people I know who would, they won't consider a Korean car in the first place, or they prefer smaller cars.

Attachments

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX FWD
354 Posts
Treatise to Reason in Comparisons

as far as everyone saying that comparing a KIA to a BMW is ridiculous and the quality of german cars is way better, just like the cost is way higher. i agree that there are some comparisons that are ridiculous to make. It's like arguing about the durability of banana peels vs orange peels. But there are a lot of cases where you can compare them and one must admit that germany doesn't reign supreme in all aspects of car design, building, etc.

Where do we draw the line? When does a comparison become foolish?

Can you compare KIA/Hyundai to Acura/Lexus/Infinity? The hyundai sonata and the kia optima make a product that i find drives better than the Acura TL, not to mention being at least 10k cheaper. Is this because the TL is a consumer car, acura's appeal to the middle class, and therefore NOT a "real" luxury vehicle? Can you compare KIA/Hyundai to BMW/Mercedes? Can you compare Mercedes to Porsche? What about to Ferrari? What about "WHO CARES!" Can a Honda compare with a Lexus? Can we all, at least, agree that Nissan makes SHIT cars?

Is it always matter of cost? Does paying an import tax automatically make your vehicle un-comparable?

You mention that the materials and quality of construction are less expensive and therefor since this vehicle is less expensive due to that, it is less of a car and you can't compare it to a different vehicle with less durable "wood" and "real leather". I would like to point out that EVERY MANUFACTURER USES PLASTICS in their vehicles. It is the world we live in. Plastics can be made soft, fuzzy, hard, rough, etc. Don't bitch about "plastics" bitch about the texture.

In some ways, it feels like you are nit-picking. You are playing a shell game, swapping around classifications and categorizing vehicles so all comparison is invalid.

How many issues have people had with the new Sportage? And how many issues have there been with the X1? are any of Mercedes' products completely free of errors, issues, bad design? Is it possible for a german company to build a lemon?

I feel like you guys put these exotic/luxury vehicles on a pedestal. They are perfect and uncorruptable. It's like you don't see that BMW, Mercedes, and Porsche are companies too, trying to earn your loyalty to giving them your money. In europe, BMW and mercedes are everywhere. they are standard. not exotic. not luxury. They are normal cars that often cost less than their american counterparts.

This review looked at these vehicles on a USAGE basis. The Sportage won because it maintains a high level of usability, having the most power and least weight, without sacrificing amenities and looks, while being the CHEAPEST. It's as simple as that. If that's not a winner, then i don't want a winner. hell, i can't afford a winner. But if you want to measure which one is the most BMW, well then, the X1 wins hands down.

If an Automaker sees that it's competition is making cars with less useless amenities (wood, soft leather, flipdown headrests) and more useful amenities (power:weight, more cargo space) at a LOWER price, then maybe they will start listening to people and end up making a better product. Isn't this better for everyone?

Should we keep arguing and preventing any vehicle from being compared and rated against another, blindly ignore evidence and keep each car company on a separate pillar, allow them to pretend to be the "Best" and keep giving us the same (or worse) crap each year (I'M LOOKING AT YOU HONDA) or can we compare to similar, yet coveted by different people (or maybe not so different) even though one costs 10k more than the other? Will we allow the cheaper car to win, even if it is not a "luxury" car, or will we categorically disqualify the results?

·
Registered
554 Posts
That's pragmatism. I think the same way. Car culture isn't pragmatic.

Mercedes cars have issues. I mentioned the leather staining (the seats look bad). This week on an S-Class I had to get a washer pump replaced, there's a bump in the tire, and the two front doors have paint bubbling from rust (at welds). Something loose in the engine compartment dumps washer fluid when the engine compartment is hot. Last month, the SOS dialer kept auto-phoning an out-of-service number every three minutes. Add a restrictive warranty, and it has to be serviced by Mercedes alone, who has always lent out the one courtesy-car already.

Kia added luxury amenities to the top Sportage. Heated steering wheel and seats and side mirrors, panoramic sunroof, cooled glovebox, satellite radio, bluetooth, backup camera, AC ionizer, push-start, Infinity speakers, auto-dimming mirror...Most of that is just expected on a 120k luxury car, and stepping into a Sportage SX, you don't miss much. I'd say Distronic, but that rarely works. I'd say Infinity isn't Harmon-Kardon, but it is. Six-speed transmission isn't 8-speed, but it's not too many. The seats could have more adjustments, and air-ventilated isn't cooling seats, and they lack the novelty Buttronic massage. Sportage doesn't beep when changing lanes, or have a coffee-break suggestion dash light. I'm hard-pressed to think of more differences.

I hate interior wood. Unless buying the base Mercedes with brushed-aluminum, IIRC it means the Poplar wood trim. Look at any ~3y-old Mercedes bought with the non-ARTICO Nappa designo-leather package, and you'll know why 100%-leather is a mistake.

I'm not a mechanic, but I see the technology, like independent multi-link suspension, and the power to weight ratio, or the power to displacement ratio. There should be a xenon light package, but it's available elsewhere, so Kia is just playing with trim levels.

Kia's brand in car culture is crap. I've seen looks of horror when I mention Kia. Most people still can't pronounce Hyundai ("hi unday", "Hi-hondai", "Peradooa?"), or guess a random Asian country it might be from. That'll take a strong showing over a decade. Most people aren't even aware that many cars are already rebranded Korean cars. People who look at the specs or test-drive aren't put off by the brand anymore. Judging by the distance from a 2nd generation Sportage to the 3rd, and the short distance to BMW, I could see Kia making up that distance with a 4th generation. I'm hoping they'll either target the luxury market or inspire it.

·
Registered
Kia Sportage LX 2012
50 Posts
Well, it all boils down to a person's preference. Some are just for the sake of status symbol. But for me, I'm happy and proud owner of Sportage. Simply because it fits my style and it has everything that I wanted it to be.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
840 Posts
Kias and Hyundais are still middle of the road cars. They can be compared, sort of, with GM, Nissan, Honda, etc. Once you start talking MB, BMW, Lexus, Infiniti, etc you just entered fanboy territory. People don't buy BMWs for their awesome reliability records or warranty. They buy them because it is a premium car with a premium nameplate.

To act like the fit and finish, materials used, technology, etc isn't different between an Audi and a Kia is disingenuous at best. Fact is, the Sportage SX's steering wheel feels like a hunk of cheap plastic and the steering wheel in an Audi Q5 doesn't. Do we buy cars simply for a steering wheel? Of course not, but it is just an example of what I am talking about. Yes the SX trim levels come with quite a bit of great features, but if you think some features are all that separate a BMW X3 from the Sportage, you're insane. My goodness, the wind noise from the sunroof is annoying, even my cheap ass WRX sunroof didn't sound like that. In fact the last four cars I bought had Xenon lights. Really Kia? The leather is hard and plastic feeling when compared to other cars. There are virtually no soft-touch plastics in the interior at all. The plastic on the door panels and seat backs scratches easily. I could go on.

We all like our cars, some even love them, but let's not be crazy. There is a reason, other than brand name, that Audis, BMWs and Lexus cost significantly more than Kias and it isn't because we put them on a pedestal.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage SX w/ Premium Package & Nav
194 Posts
Just chiming in. I agree with everything IllJim has said. Do I love my 2011 SX? Yep. Is it fun to drive and have all the tech goodies I like? Yep. Is the fit and finish anywhere near my 2008 Audi A4 for example? No way. Not even close.

My Audi is basically whisper quiet until you go over 100mph. SX? Ha, yeah...

Also, the exterior and interior of the Audi doesn't feel like they're going to rattle apart. Very solid feel. Kia? Not so much.

Finally, leather seats, steering (and wheel itself), and like a 100 other things are just better engineered and use better materials.

The SX, for me, was a good buy because of the price to performance/gadget ratio ;-) I've priced similar vehicles w/ similar specs and features and they're always ~$8000+ more easily. Usually around $10k more.

Do you get what you pay for? Usually. One recent example that made laugh out loud when I read the specs/saw the price: Lexus RX F Sport. $47k :eek:

270 HP w/ 0-60 in 7.7s. For damn near $50k. Really? Oh, and it's ugly...

Anyway, I really believe in quality over quantity for sure. But, I mention the Lexus because I hate their cars (hehe) and my 2011 SX is nicer looking, faster, and has relatively equal tech features I like. Plus, it was around $20k cheaper.

Will the fit and finish be better in the Lexus (or audi/BMW/etc)? Of course. But, it was a balance between price and features for me. The 2011 SX won in my case.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts