Kia Forum banner

Review of Prod 2/2015 2016 Sorento SX AWD

4K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  altaski 
#1 · (Edited)
This is a review of my 2016 Kia Sorento SX AWD. Prod date 2/15!

General Notices-
A. I would not buy this car yet. There seem to be errors in the production specifications. The 2016 produced this early has issues. Wait for Kia to figure them out and fix. I bought a got not what I thought I was getting.

Issues-

1. All Prior and current year Kia models with the EX Premium package come with ventilated front seats. The 2016 Sedona SX does (almost identical car), the Sorento SXL does. All except the 2016 SX with EX Premium package! This is most likely a production error. If you want ventilated seats and this model, beware. Wait for Kia to iron out the mistake.

The EX Premium package is standard on the SX. Not an option. Part of it as standard!

The 2015 Sorento SX brochure shows the SX and SXL both as having ventilated seats. They both have the EX Premium package.

2. The brochures that came out in April 2015 on the 2016 Sorento show both the SX and SXL as having Illuminated Scuff Trim standard. My SX did not come with the Illuminated Scuff Trim. Kia has not produced an acceptable response to this. As in, provide the Illuminated Scuff Trim.

3. The Map/Nav unit in the 2016 was loaded with 2015 software/firmware. Per Kia Map update center, Kia had to put something in to make it turn on, but the 2016 head unit is a different model than the 2015 and the software/firmware will not work correctly. Symtoms included incorrect routes to destinations, can't find address's, etc. Tested against a Garmin unit which didn't have any of the issue's the 2016 Kia one has.
Solution is to wait until the REAL time frame a 2016 model would come out in October 2015 for the Update for Maps to make it work correctly. Per Kia map update center.

4. I used to have a 2011 Sportage EX AWD and it handled much better. Different car yes. But the Sorento pivots and bounces at highway speeds on uneven roads and is a battle to control. The shocks and springs definitly leave something to be desired. If you like good handling, you won't find it here. Except and slower than 45 speeds, very comfy!

5. Kia eliminated front caster adjustment on this model. Came off from the factory with more caster on the left than right which is opposite of what it should be for road crown. Rear Camber is maxed out just to stay in spec. That's with new springs. No room for spring sag. Will wear inside of tires out prematurely.

Good Things-

1. Very comfortable seats.
2. Love that sunroof. But deflector is a little large!
3. Lots of room.
4. Engine performs well.
5. Good gas mileage. Typically 22-24 city, 28-32 highway.
6. Good towing capacity. Mileage towing 2200 lbs is around 20-23.

Feel free to ask questions.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
2016 Sorento Nav/Map tech Specs that don't work. Really a 2015 version in a 2016 Head Unit. Have to wait until 10/15 for Update. I think I'll scrap it for a Pioneer.
Other Issues-
1. Can only tolerate 8,000 files on usb. Pioneer unlimited.
2. If I don't download contacts, the unit plays a lengthy message about The download failed, everytime I start the car. No way to turn it off. And you have to always push "No" twice onscreen.
3. Only a 3 band EQ. Pioneer has 13.

Attachments

#6 · (Edited)
None of the sales information for the 2016 shows the SX having ventilated seats. So doubtful it is a production error. It would just appear they removed that feature from the SX. What is the EX premium package you are talking about on the SX and SXL? There is no such thing. The EX premium package is available on the EX, which also does not have ventilated seats for 2016.

The sales information does show the SX should have had illuminated scuff plate trim as well as the homelink mirror standard. I've talked to dealers who confirm that none of the SX's they have do and kia customer service says it is a mistake in the documentation, that their information shows those do not come with the SX, just the SXL.

I've had no issues with the UVO or navigation. If it is a different unit they can't just load firmware from something else on it so it will turn on. Now if it was manufactured before June 2015, it does come with maps from 2014. But that doesn't affect operation, it just might not have some of the more recent road changes on it. The latest map version was released on June 1st. The maps for the 2015 Sorento vs the 2016 Sorento has a different part number and different version number.

I've had no handling issues when cruising along at any speed. I think it handles pretty good.

A lot of manufacturers seem to be eliminating a front caster adjustment. Nothing unique to Kia.

The Sedona is not the same as the Sorento, so you can't really compare the two.

#8 ·
Good for you Jasonamd! At least one person hasn't had to deal with he issue's. Brush up on the types of packages and you'll see the EX is standard on an SX. Means comes with. So it wouldn't be shown separately as an option. Thanks for the heads up on the heading typo. I fixed it. And yes, all the items are true. You can discount them all you want. But the facts remain. Nav problem IS documented by the Kia map update center MN Soft. It is a fact. Call for yourself. The sedona is the same except for rear seats and the dimensions in the back and some outside/inside styling. Happy for you that you got what you wanted.;)

#9 · (Edited)
I think there are a lot more people than just me that haven't had to deal with issues. Telling people to avoid buying it so Kia can fix mistakes after they've been producing it for 7 months doesn't make much sense. I'm pretty sure if it was supposed to have ventilated seats, illuminated scuff plates and homelink, they would have figured it out by now.

There are no packages available on the SX. The only package available on the SXL is the Technology Package. Yes, the items available in the EX premium package on the EX come standard on the SX and SXL and as such, there is no EX premium package on the SX. The items are just considered standard. Just like the LX convenience package is only on the LX because the EX, SX and SXL come with those items already.

If there was a map issue such as you state, why wouldn't it have been fixed in the release that just came out in June? You are the first person I've seen to say there is a problem with it. I have no reason to call to verify because I don't have any issue I can describe to them. This is the exact same head unit that is in the 2014-2015 Soul, the 2015 Optima and the 2015 Sedona (AVN 4.0). So if there was an issue like you describe, it would affect all of those too. They didn't put the 2015 Sorento software on the 2016 just so they could get it to power on...there was no reason to since it is the same software that has been used on other models.

If you bought your SX expecting to get the ventilated seats because they came on the 2015's and earlier and didn't notice it didn't have it before you bought it, that isn't Kia's fault.

I understand the Sorento and Sedona are similar as I shopped both of them, but they are different vehicles. Just because something comes on the Sedona SX doesn't mean it should come on the Sorento SX and the other way around too. I never would expect to look at a car and then expect the same thing on a different model with the same trim level.

#12 ·
Ventilated Seats - No mistakes

In this attachment, which is from the Kia Site, you can see all the EX items are standard under the SX column. There, done deal, EX package IS part of SX standard features. Enough proof?

So with that said, all Kia's prior to 2016 that had an EX Premium package, wether as an option or as standard equipment, all had Ventilated Front Seats in that package.

In 2016, Kia dropped the Ventilated Seats from the Sorento SX and lower only. Her article shows the SX as having Ventilated Front Seats. They do not. Only the SXL, at a hefty $4,000 higher price has them. And this is in a package called Technology which means you get things like camera's all around the vehicle. who would pair Ventilated Seats with $4,000 Camera's?

Other models in the SX trim DO have ventilated seats still. Like the Sedona.

So wouldn't this make you wonder, WTF happened? It did to me. The SX Sorento SHOULD have the ventilated front seats.

Wait for Kia to uncover and fix this mistake!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.