Kia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, Does anyone have problems engaging Reverse gear on a manual? It's been happening a lot more frequently over the past year. Happens maybe half the time. After popping into another gear for a second and sometimes after a few tries, I eventually get it into reverse (if I don't do this, I get the grinding...). Maybe this is normal... perhaps some adjustment is needed... any tips? Thanks!

(2004 Cerato 5 speed manual .... 130,000km... to my knowledge the tranny fluid has never been replaced)

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Grinding with a manual gearbox is never normal. Sounds like your clutch is dragging a little; the forward gears have synchro and this will cope with a slightly dragging clutch, but the reverse set is "bare". Clutch needs adjustment.

That said, it is usually necessary to wait a second or two before engaging reverse to allow the gears to come to a halt, otherwise you might get a slight clunk, but not "grinding". Oh yes, you need to be stationary before engaging reverse; very few cars have synchro on reverse.

You will sometimes find that reverse gear will resist engagement, simply because the gears aren't aligned properly. Releasing the clutch briefly will stir things up enough to permit engagement, but that is not your problem.

Opinions vary on manual transmission fluid replacement. Maybe if you've been having some grinding, you should change the oil now to get rid of stray metal.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts