Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just purchased a 95 Kia sportage that runs great but has an intermittent check engine light. Can anyone tell me if it is possible to retrieve the trouble codes manually?
thank in advance
fred

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,127 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Unfortunately that is incorrect for the 1995 Sportage. 1995 was last year for OBD-I emission standards in the U.S. 1996 was the start of OBD-II. 1995 and older use the 2 digit diagnostic codes. The OBD-II readers used by Autozone, etc, won't work.

There are 2 methods for scanning the older OBD-I ECM's. Method one is with a Kia Pro Scan Tool. But only dealers have this tool. Method 2 is via a shorting wire on the diagnostic port in the engine compartment and reading the trouble codes via the flashing "check engine" light. That method is described on the kiatechinfo website but you must sign up and pay for that service.

Originally posted by 1fastkia@Mar 7 2005, 07:52 AM
NO. must be scanned with a diognostic tool. they have them at advanced auto or autozone and will do it for free!

·
Registered
1997 Kia Sportage (AUST model - Sth Korea)
3 Posts
I have just purchased a 95 Kia sportage that runs great but has an intermittent check engine light. Can anyone tell me if it is possible to retrieve the trouble codes manually?
thank in advance
fred
Try this, and the codes are listed on the Gen 1 forum here.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 2013 BMW K1600 GTL
11,255 Posts
thank in advance
fred
any decent up to date code reader will give you the codes
We have no idea if the OP of this ancient thread has an OBDII connector, and being a 1995 model most likely not, and he'd need that manual pulse counting method.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts