'12 Rio SLS, '13 XR6 Turbo, '15 XR8 S/C
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is no code in the radio
And it is better to get a obd reader to reset your codes
The come cheap on ebay
If you take of your battery lead your dach resets exept the milage/km total
i'd love a reader but haven't got one yet

all i want to do is reset the ecu to see if it fixes my jerky throttle problem on takeoff..

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,922 Posts
Your KIA will go into a "learning" mode after the battery has been disconnected...
You may end up with worse performance because of it..
It has to relearn it's best air/fuel mixtures and transmission shift points..and it can learn them wrong if the "initial" driving sequence is not followed..
Dave

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SLS and 09 Mitsubishi Lancer
463 Posts
I have an obd-II cable and reader. I can read the ecu but wont be able to write to ecu without a definition file.

The battery disconnect is just a soft reset. Usually 5mins is all it takes. Or instead of doing that why not try disconnecting the accelerator plug for few minutes.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your KIA will go into a "learning" mode after the battery has been disconnected...
You may end up with worse performance because of it..
It has to relearn it's best air/fuel mixtures and transmission shift points..and it can learn them wrong if the "initial" driving sequence is not followed..
Dave
i'm pretty sure the cut-out switch on the brake or clutch pedal is faulty, or the TPS itself in my situation, but i want to see if the ECU can go back to a default setting and at least be a bit better in the interim. Basically the throttle is dipping when it's not meant to be and it drives like crap at times on takeoff. Yesterday however it was all but perfect. I never saw anything in the manual about an initial driving sequence for it learning the throttle? Or do you mean the standard, "don't hold a constand speed for too long, don't over-rev"? because that's for the engine's sake.

I have an obd-II cable and reader. I can read the ecu but wont be able to write to ecu without a definition file.

The battery disconnect is just a soft reset. Usually 5mins is all it takes. Or instead of doing that why not try disconnecting the accelerator plug for few minutes.
where's the plug? up the pedal somewhere or in the engine bay?

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SLS and 09 Mitsubishi Lancer
463 Posts
where's the plug? up the pedal somewhere or in the engine bay?
It sits at the top of the accelerator pedal. To get access to it is a bitch... You need to slide the protector cover back to be able to pull the plug. You then turn the car on to accessories and it should pick up something is wrong. If not start the car up.

Turn it off and plug it back in. Car will then go through its boot up process and may correct any issues you had.

If still no change, check to see if the throttle body plug is connected properly. It may be something simple causing your problems.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cheers yeah i'll give it a looking over on sunday, see what i can find. It's hit and miss though. Sometimes it'll drive perfectly, then you stop at the shops, get back in 20 minutes later and it drives crap again. Seems like a bad sensor.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio 1.4 - 6 Speed Manual
107 Posts
Sorry this is a slightly old thread but just wanted to check, OzSLS. Did you give this method a try and did it produce any results?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts