Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Rio SX Hatch
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So there has been some discussion about how the car "learns" how you drive over the first few weeks, and adjusts performance accordingly.

I know that some of us are getting much worse mileage than expected, and was wondering if maybe resetting the "learning curve" on the car would perhaps help get me closer to the great mileage that others seem to be getting.

When I first got the car I drove it like a grandmother for the first few weeks as part of "the break-in period", perhaps that trained the car to perform poorly under real world driving style? Would it now need to be retrained?

Is it constantly learning and adapting, or does it lock in performance after an initial period?

Just trying to find some way to get somewhat respectable mileage from a sub compact touted as being super fuel efficient and best in class...

Thoughts?

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,237 Posts
Nobody recommends "Driving like a Grandmother" during the break-in these days. In fact there's very little breaking-in to do, and it's best to drive briskly for the first few thousand km, keeping the engine between 2000-4000RPM. Obviously, you should watch for signs of overheating or excessive oil consumption, but in most cases you'll find that break-in is a hang-over term that simply means "be careful".

If you are careful, you should notice a slight amount of oil usage in the first few thousand km, and then there should be no subsequent usage of any significance. You will also get a slight improvement in fuel consumption with time (but only a 1 or 2 MPG).

Disconnecting the battery and then operating the footbrake (stop light) to expend capacitative voltage is supposed to reset the ECU. Probably worth a try.

·
Registered
2012 Rio5 EX w Conv Pkg, Chestnut .......... 1997 Ford F-150
54 Posts
If you try the battery disconnect idea there are reset items you need to be aware of.

On the KGIS site under Service Materials / Engine Electrical System / General Info: there are things you need to do to restore the auto power of the driver window as well as sunroof, clock, audio items.

These may also be in the paper manual.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts