Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know anything about Kia, but I have a new job starting in two weeks and need to find an AWD vehicle under 25k in that time. We own a Forester now and for the most part love it. I'm a super tall guy and the Forester offers some decent headroom.

Anyway we're thinking buying used and love this transferable warranty Kia has. There's a used 2019 AWD V6 LX Sorrento / 15k mi for 22k that I'm going to go test drive tomorrow. Anyone have any insights - things to look out for? Any recalls or things I need to be aware of?

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX L (FWD)
319 Posts
wow, great price !
generally the 10/100 warranty is for the original owner only, otherwise read the dealer's deal fine print

·
Premium Member
2019 KIA Sorento SX - 3.3L GDi V6 - AWD
829 Posts
No regrets! Great vehicle! Very good engine (3.3L V6) and transmission.

Richard

·
Registered
2018 Sorento LX V6 AWD Conv. Pkg. Tech Pkg.
192 Posts
I spent a lot of time deciding between a Forester and the Sorento. My wife and I borrowed a friends Forester for a bit, and liked it, but liked the Sorento quite a bit better. The Sorento is quieter, rides nicer and has a more solid feel to it while only being a little bit bigger. The V6 is great, and performs excellently in the mountains near Santa Fe where I live. I love the big windows on the Forester, though have gotten used to the more narrow windows on the Sorento. I think the narrower windows may be of value in that there is less sun exposure on my face.

Overall, I really like it, and would buy it again. I bought new in part to get the longer warranty available to the original owner only. The price you quoted looks great! As Steve said check if the dealer is offering a warranty above the standard (I think 5/60?) for buying used. Good luck!

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento SX Turbo AWD
34 Posts
This thread might be interesting to you: Is this Sorento really this good?

As for my personal input.. I like the older Sorento's with the turbo more than the newer with the V6. Here's why..

In December I nearly bought a new 2019 Sorento EX on clearance, but ended up leaving after having a bad experience the dealer. I'm glad I did, though, as I wasn't liking the steering feel or weight, and wasn't liking the engine/transmission as much as I had hoped to either. I expected both of those to be more like my parent's Santa Fe XL, which has the same engine but 6 speed transmission. The steering felt too heavy and numb and the engine wasn't as responsive as I was used to. I tried the various drive modes but nothing did it for me.

Back when they were just released I had test-driven a 2016 Sorento EX with the 2.0 turbo, and I was very impressed with it. So having had that experience I decided that instead of looking for a better dealer to get a 2019, I should consider finding a dealer with 2016-2017's (with the 2.0 turbo and 6 speed transmission) instead. I'm glad I did. I found and test-drove one and it was exactly how I remembered the 2016 being. The steering feel and weight is perfect in my opinion, and the 2.0 turbo engine moves the vehicle quickly and effortlessly, while the 6 speed shifts smoothly and predictably (not that the 8 speed didn't). I was instantly in love, and ended up buying a 2016 Sorento SX turbo instead of 2019 Sorento EX. I saved a fair bit of money although warranty is more than halfway gone already, but I like it more and it still drives like brand new anyway.

Food for thought.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sorento SX
3 Posts
I bought a new Sorento SX in Juy 2019. It now has 12K miles, and it has been perfectly reliable. The ride is luxury car smooth and it goes around corners like a sports car. That last sentence represents the most remarkable attributes of a very good vehicle. Service is inexpensive.

My only gripe is that the acceleration from a standing stop is tepid. From a roll, in sport mode especially, acceleration is good.

I paid $32K for a vehicle with a 44K sticker. I have the best factory warranty in the business. I couldn't be much happier. Buy with confidence.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento EX V6 AWD
137 Posts
About 18 months & 14k miles and really, no regrets. I bought a new 19EX just as they hit the dealerships (couldn't find an '18 equipped the way I wanted & got a great deal on the '19 considering the timing) knowing full well the Sorento wasn't rated at the top of the heap in any one category, not the best @ mpg, acceleration, handling, etc. but it was pretty damn close! I thought then and still think now you'd be hard pressed to find a better value on any current SUV! Good luck!

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sorento SX
6 Posts
I bought a new Sorento SX in Juy 2019. It now has 12K miles, and it has been perfectly reliable. The ride is luxury car smooth and it goes around corners like a sports car. That last sentence represents the most remarkable attributes of a very good vehicle. Service is inexpensive.

My only gripe is that the acceleration from a standing stop is tepid. From a roll, in sport mode especially, acceleration is good.

I paid $32K for a vehicle with a 44K sticker. I have the best factory warranty in the business. I couldn't be much happier. Buy with confidence.
My experience is similar, having bought at 2019 Sorento SX in Sept last year. Got a good discount from the dealer, and love the vehicle so far. No recalls that I am aware of so far.

·
Registered
20 Posts
my one cent. I have Kia EX 4cynlinders and I think to reduce weight Kia has cheapened out on the sound deading hence the cabin is noisy ( my experience). It had original 17" rim with Kumho Krugen tire then I replaced the rim with OEM 19" rim and Hancook tire. Got few positive outcomes, either due to tire or rime size, ride handling has improved a lot (diff is like day and night) while turning earlier it used to feel like driving truck but after 19" rim it goes around the corner more like a car, inside cabin noise has come down a little bit hence my take on it drive Sorento which has 19" rim vs 17" rim and keep both on eco mode and compare car handling.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX L (FWD)
319 Posts
No complaints with mine at 17 months and 10,000 miles. Looking back, don't we all?, the dealer made a killing on me given the real value of my trade. But hey, I got a Korean car, made in GA, with an Italian name !

Coming from a 2005 V8 4Runner I was unhappy with the 3.3's performance at first but it (or the software) cut loose at around 2,000 miles. The Sorento would easily beat the 4Runner on a 0-to-any speed run.

Dealer applied the transmission flash on the first oil change but it was fine before that.

In fact, the transmission/engine smoothness and performance is truly incredible and I run it in 'comfort' (should be called normal).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts