Kia Forum banner

Research before test driving...

5K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  Rich McDermott 
#1 ·
My one "run about" vehicle is a 2010 Vibe 1.8L auto and its near its EOL (End of Life) replacement. My wife & I love her little FWD car but being so low to the ground, its very hard on my older age back. Thus, need to replace with better in/out entry (re: seat higher off the ground) vehicle. If wondering, NO towing or heavy weight cargo hauling. Just looking for something a little larger than the Vibe but higher off the ground.

With above in mind, how do you like your KIA FWD Sportage? Any pros/cons &/or "should have instead?" details you can share? How's its engine size in strong wind or when one needs the extra "juice" - to zip out of tight spots?

thanks.

#2 ·
I bought my SX with two main criteria: 1. As my wife is handicapped the seat height had to be such that she could back her walker right up to the seat and without having to step up, or lower into it, could just set down on/in the seat. The Sportage worked great for that. 2. Was that it had to have some sportiness for me (the SX filled that requirement nicely).

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Spike99
#4 ·
To Compensate for my back my wife got a Soul and I got a Sportage.
The Soul is even easier to get it then the Sportage, but the Sportage is more comfortable to drive on the highway, the Soul is mostly used as the City car.

#5 ·
The Sportage is a decent car and one of the better compact SUV's. There are problems with a small percentage of engines, but most of us are just fine. I chose an EX with packages over the SX for a few reasons:

1. The EX had enough power for everything we wanted to do and acceleration was adequate.
2. The EX has better ride quality than the SX.
3. The EX has better gas mileage.
4. You can get most all of the extra features of the SX with the Premium and Technology packages.
5. The people who have the turbo seem to have more problems than those of us with the standard engine. While I have no data to back this up, it is the sense I get from this forum. That said, most SX owners seem to be just fine.

#6 · (Edited)

For my basic needs (and very thin wallet depth), I'm thinking "base model" with FWD only.

Car mats, seat covers and rear cargo mat from my local discount auto store.

Any pros/cons/tips with the basic LX / non-turbo FWD model?

thanks

#7 ·
If you don't care about 'spirited' driving and extra gadgets - LX is a very good choice.
Also, IIRC 2018 and on models come with oil squirters installed in their block just like the engines in cars sold in Korea.

#9 ·
The LX would be the appropriate choice, given his budget to work with. EX and SX are nice, but not everyone wants to spend that kind of money.

#10 · (Edited)
Yes. I'm on a budget. Very tight budget. Thus, will most likely be looking at pre-owned (or returned from lease) inventory future buy. I only buy brand new if at extreme discount.

Besides small budget criteria, fancy electronics don't impress me. I don't even want AWD system.... Only must have is tinted windows - which comes with base build. And, my wife wants white outside / black cloth inside. Just the basics in a "run about" vehicle.

Note: On bad weather days, we have 2017 Sorento AWD or our other vehicle - which is long haul touring and/Towing vehicle. Thus, no need for lots of electronic "bling" in my wife's FWD "run about" vehicle.

Thanks for everyone's pre-test drive research help.

#12 · (Edited)
Hi PCGuy. Yes. When taking vehicles for ON SEAT test drives, we like to visit dealers and also test drive the one model below and one model above our target vehicle. Like the little girl testing out the bear's beds, we like to test all 3 ranges - to ensure we obtain the comfort that we truly like best. Yes. Selling price and comfort (due to my bad back) is our main buying criteria. But.... We are flexible as well. Many years ago, we wanted to test drive a 4-door sedan (was doing our 3rd test drive with it) and a pre-owned blue Buick Rendezvous in corner of the lot caught my wife's eye. In the end, we bought the Buick instead. For her, that was a really great FWD "run about" vehicle. Ya. Back in the days before parking lines got skinnier and skinnier. Thanks for your suggestions to also focus on other makes / models as well... Especially since we have other vehicle to do bad weather and/or long haul traveling.... Update: And most important selection criteria... Happy wife = Happy wife. LOL!

#13 · (Edited)
FWIW, we purchased a '19 LX for my wife's DD.

Everyone's needs and wants are different. She didn't need/want the higher trim models and didn't want to mess with the turbo model. Ours came w/ the following options:

1. LX Popular Package
2. Rear Bumper Applique
3. Carpet Floor Mats
4. Cargo Net
5. Cargo Tray

The only thing that is useless for us is the net. We carry our Coonhound around a lot (in either her Sportage or my Silverado), and use hers for grocery shopping, and the net always got in the way. I will say that for us, number 2 above was a fantastic addition. But I digress...

Her Sportage runs fine, has more than enough power for her, has a nice size interior, looks good, get decent gas mileage, and is comfortable. Not many negatives for us. For the price, nothing else came close for us and our situation. We're very happy with it.

#15 · (Edited)
I concur with the folks who recommended also checking out the Soul. We love our '13 Soul Base automatic - 90K trouble-free miles. They have a surprising amount of passenger and (with the back seat folded down) cargo room. We go to Lowes and on the way out to the car, the kid will say "That's not going to all fit it that!" Surprise - 15 or 20 bags of dirt and mulch and I can still see out of the back windows.

So easy to park, too, if you're using it around town. Big windows with minimal blind spots. Easy seat height for getting in/out. (seat bottom is 25 inches off pavement vs 17 inches on our son's new Honda Civic)

And, you can buy new for the price of a used Sportage. If you can find a leftover 2019, the rebates and deals are hot since the 2020s are hitting the lots.

#18 ·
mine came with that crap on it too, but I didn't pay extra. I negotiated from MSRP down to what was common in the area, and that was that.

#19 ·
Spike; one thing that might come into consideration with your (and mine) age/back is actually getting in and out. I'm certainly not tall, and I have to really squeeze down to get my head in under the roof, because I also have the seat raised for better visibility. With a Soul, I believe you get a higher portal which will be a lot less trouble for you. The Soul now comes with available turbo package which I would highly recommend. I have driven the regular Soul several times as a rental when traveling and have found it to be a neat and useful auto.

#23 · (Edited)
During last weekend, my wife bought a used 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD / non-turbo 2.4L engine with only 72,000 kms / 44,700 miles. Yes. I did warn you guys that low cost is our main criteria. I wanted to buy low electronics as well but she wanted something that she liked. Since I listen my number one rule (re: Keep the Wife Happy), she bought this specific vehicle without me. I didn't even get to test drive it around the block. No worries, she drives her vehicle 99% of the time. Thus, I didn't have much say in the matter anyway.... Like all vehicle's we buy, we'll drive it for 10-12 years - unless it gets totalled. Thanks for helping me do some research - before buying...

#25 ·
Thanks pnoman.

If I find this CRV AWD is too low to the ground for my sensitive back, I plan to install some suspension spacers under it as well. I see Amazon / Ebay sells 20mm (.78"), 30mm (1.18") for low selling price. Only time will tell.... Ya. At my age, this will be probably be our last "run about" vehicle - before we're financially forced down to one vehicle. I'm hoping she picked a good pre-owned vehicle as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.