Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Rondo EX Premium 2012
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Rondo 3 months ago and, as I drive VERY few km, I'm now up to around 900 km. According to warranty requirements I have to get my oil changed next month (4 mos or 8000 km) which seems completely ridiculous and a waste of oil and money. Is there NO way around this without losing my warranty?

·
Registered
Cerato
691 Posts
It does seem ridiculous. Have a look at your documentation to make sure this is not a requirement for "Severe Conditions" only. In Australia it's 12 months/15,000km under normal conditions for many models. Where do you live?

Obviously, your dealer wants you back regularly to make money out of you. Once my cars get near the end of warranty, I extend the service intervals to at least 12 months, although many makers recommend 6 months. I only do 5,000 to 10,000 km/year.

·
Registered
Rondo EX Premium 2012
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tip. I've added location (Canada) and model (Rondo) to my profile :)

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
If your driving is mostly short trips in cold climates (e.g. the Winter season just finished), that might be described as severe conditions. Probably a good idea to have a service done fairly early on a new car and then negotiate for a longer interval after that. Keeping to the handbook intervals (I can't believe that they're 4 months), but using an independent garage might save you some dollars. Using genuine KIA parts should preserve your warranty. Use a reputable oil of the correct viscosity rating.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Soul SX Luxury - Caribbean Blue
26 Posts
You will be completely safe with your warranty if you follow the new Kia maintenance schedule for 2013. It calls for the vehicle to be serviced every 6 months OR 6,000 kilometers (whichever comes first). Having your vehicle serviced twice a year is very cheap insurance against having problems with your car over the long term AND will keep you compliant with Kia for warranty protection. By the way, I would absolutely go back to your Kia dealer for servicing as you will find that the cost of routine service will be very competitive with the independent places and the dealer will always use the correct filter and oil. A competent dealer will always ensure that your vehicle is up to date with software updates and take care of any campaigns or recalls. More than likely they will even wash and vacuum your vehicle while it is there!

Enjoy your new vehicle!

Kia World

1 - 7 of 7 Posts