Kia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So if you have a 2011 Sorento or another model that Kia says is not affected by the gas mileage discrepancy you can report it to the EPA at this email.

[email protected]

The more complaints they get the more they will take notice that Kia has been doing this before the model that is currently under investigation.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
So if you have a 2011 Sorento or another model that Kia says is not affected by the gas mileage discrepancy you can report it to the EPA at this email.

[email protected]

The more complaints they get the more they will take notice that Kia has been doing this before the model that is currently under investigation.
Can I send mail there letting them know that my mileage is exceeding the sticker?

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 K5 GT Line
4,789 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Sorento AWD V6 SX Cherry Black
231 Posts
Same here! Very satisfied with my V6's gas mileage. Much better than my trade in Rx's by about 5mpg on the road(26-27+) and OH the performance! I think some of the lower mileages in the I4s/GDIs is that with the weight of the Sorento, owners have a tendancy to have to put their foot into it to really get it up on its legs, especially if loaded, in fast stop and go traffic, or in hill country as well as the transmission having to gear down to get into its power band.

·
Registered
2013 Silver Sorento EX V6AWD, 2007 Toyota Highlander V6LtdAWD, 2004 Toyota 4-Runner V6Ltd2x4
80 Posts
The piling on has begun...every manufacturer will feel the heat now...imagine an industry where the manufacturers interprete the test process and get to put the highest test results (highway mpg) on the Sales Sticker..

Again, Sauron, you're right... it's always been Buyer Beware in the car industry, always will...it's just too bad that H/K is the warning shot from the EPA..

My MPG is as advertised as well..maybe I would feel different otherwise, but again for middle to large sized vehicles I have always opted for the larger engine..

Where's the major Press Release on the Honda Hybrid, the GMC Terrain, etcetera, etcetera...??

What other Manufacturer had offered to rebate the MPG deltas with cash?

Where's the accountability for everyone else?...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Can I send mail there letting them know that my mileage is exceeding the sticker?
Same here! Very satisfied with my V6's gas mileage. Much better than my trade in Rx's by about 5mpg on the road(26-27+) and OH the performance! I think some of the lower mileages in the I4s/GDIs is that with the weight of the Sorento, owners have a tendancy to have to put their foot into it to really get it up on its legs, especially if loaded, in fast stop and go traffic, or in hill country as well as the transmission having to gear down to get into its power band.
I know it sucks when the mileage isnt what was advertised, especially if its off by a lot. However i have to agree, my 2011 EX V6 gets 27-30 depending on the hills.

·
Registered
Wife- 2013 Sorento EX FWD, Me- 2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
27 Posts
My V6 is getting as advertised.

We were debating about the I4 but did some research on fuelly and this website before purchasing. Based on what we found, we thought the decision to go with the V6 was very easy.

Yeah I agree that something needs to be done to fix the ENTIRE industry (the new Ford C-Max is rated at 47/47 but the fuelly average is only 40.8) but I get tired of this world we live in where everyone wants an easy way to make some extra money.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm very happy for all you V6 owners that are getting better than advertised mileage.

BUT how would you feel if you were getting 6 MPG less than the advertised rating and being told they had not misrepresented the numbers. That is the situation with my 2011 4 cyl Sorento and I don't think I'm alone.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
I'm very happy for all you V6 owners that are getting better than advertised mileage.

BUT how would you feel if you were getting 6 MPG less than the advertised rating and being told they had not misrepresented the numbers. That is the situation with my 2011 4 cyl Sorento and I don't think I'm alone.
I would feel annoyed for a short spell and then get on with my life. It's a relatively small amount of money compared to the cost of the vehicle, insurance, maintenance, etc. Since you were an early adopter, I'll give you a pass for not doing any research since there probably wasn't any anecdotal evidence yet.

I'm also amazed at how many people thought it would be a good idea to buy a 2 ton vehicle with a small displacement gas engine. It has no torque until you're well up into the power band so you are forced to flog the motor unless you're just cruising along on the highway at a steady speed. At anything approaching WOT, efficiency goes right out the window.

·
Registered
2012 Sorento SX V6 AWD
34 Posts
I went with the V6 instead of the i4 because, well, the truck is just too heavy for a small displacement gas motor. The odd thing is that sometimes she does really well in the city while other times it's terrible. Terrible as in much much lower then the sticker. Highway mpg is above what is advertised on the sticker though.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
Haha, nice! Are you a pilot?
Sorta. :) My father was an instructor with about 6000 hours. I occasionally got to go along on check-out rides and deliveries so I've got about 50 hours in single/multi, and maybe 5 in a Jet Commander. Doing ground school and getting a solo license is on my "to do" list when some scarce free time appears. :)

Best,

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorta. :) My father was an instructor with about 6000 hours. I occasionally got to go along on check-out rides and deliveries so I've got about 50 hours in single/multi, and maybe 5 in a Jet Commander. Doing ground school and getting a solo license is on my "to do" list when some scarce free time appears. :)

Best,
You need to learn some forum etiquette!

·
Registered
2011 KIA Sorento EX
4 Posts
I have a 2011 KIA Sorento EX (4 cylinder). In the last 28 fill-ups, my average mileage is 27.6 MPG (Canada), which translates to 23 MPG US according to my Gas Cubby iPhone app.

The new car sticker advertises 29 city and 41 highway (Canada). Clearly, I'm not seeing that.

To be honest, I don't think that I've ever got the advertised mileage in any car that I've owned and I am not an aggressive driver by any means. I swear that when they come up with those figures, they must be going downhill with a tail-wind... Ideal conditions.

I do know that it gets better mileage than my 1998 Chrysler Concorde – it was a pig.

·
Registered
2012 Sorento SX V6 AWD
34 Posts
[/QUOTE]
To be honest, I don't think that I've ever got the advertised mileage in any car that I've owned and I am not an aggressive driver by any means. I swear that when they come up with those figures, they must be going downhill with a tail-wind... Ideal conditions.
I do know that it gets better mileage than my 1998 Chrysler Concorde – it was a pig.[/QUOTE]

Had an old 3rd gen GTi for a few months that ran on fumes. Did much better then what was stated. Also had a 98.5 Maxima SE that gave me ~500 miles per tank that translates to roughly 28 mpg. That was always a mix of city and highway. Also should note that she wasn't stock. Always assumed it was because she was a 5speed and not an auto.
It could just be me but autos just seem to burn more.

·
Registered
Kia Sorento EX 2012
109 Posts
Han Solo,
I have a GDI 4 cylinder and I AM getting the mileage stated on the sticker when I bought it. 24-32 mpg. Just because you are not getting the stated mileage and no one agreed with you in this tread should show you that your case is atypical. Maybe your driving style should account for some of it if not all of it and I just know what you are going to say is that you drive like a granny and do not get the advertised mileage. This may be the case but unless you have something wrong with the engine it is the ONLY thing that would account for the lack of mileage.

Others here mentioned the 4 cylinder not being capable of moving this vehicle along at the stated mileage... please with all due respect, that argument is tiresome and even bothersome. I am so sick and tired of hearing the tripe about it not have the power and or ability to do what the 6 cylinder is capable of. Yet for some reason it does. It does not two as much but for the most part that is ALL it does not do.

It accelerates and climbs hills just fine. navigates and gets me to where I am going in adverse conditions.
Thanks!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts