Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 Sporty 4x4
replacing the timing belt- had crank on TDC, Intake Cam TDC, Exhaust Cam TDC. Cranked it a couple revolutions all looked well; rotated Exhaust Cam to the S mark to TDC; tightened tension pulley and foolishly put it all back together. It turns over but will not start...sounds as if it has a low battery. We tried jumping it- no dice. Charged the battery and tried to start it again today. Battery was fully charged- I tried to start it 3-4 times. no dice. Battery charger shot up to 10 immediately. I took off alternator and battery and had them tested- both showed good. The fella swapped me a new battery because I was still under full warranty (just in case). Tried again w/new battery....still sounds like it wants to start but doesn't have enough juice. Charged the battery back up, pulled everything back off & reset the timing again....same result as before! (except I was smart enough not to put everything back together) I found a youtube video of a guy named Uncle Rice showing how to do the 2001 sporty timing belt- it was very helpful but I noticed someone posted that they had to off set the belt by 2 teeth to get the timing right??? Is there some trick here that I'm missing? Honestly, I can't figure out why cranking the motor is zapping the battery so quickly! (2-3 cranks and it is zapped; 10 on the charger) and yes, I am a woman- it's just that my Dad taught me to learn to fix my stuff or pay big money to someone else because that's usually what happens if you can't do it yourself. So, I'm trying to get some education here ;)~ I gotta get this figured out & on the road! Thanks in advance for any helpful hints or suggestions!

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,692 Posts
Well being woman is no disability, I have 3 grease monkeys here, 2 daughters and a Gdaughter that will tear in and do any work required...

I am sure you verified the crank snout and key!
The cams sometimes are difficult to hold in the TDC position as the lifters are under tension and tend to self rotate as the slide of the lobes. Installing a lock bar helps immensely.
Sounds like the CAMS may be off 180*... Which cylinder do you have set for TDC (compression)? The lifter/rocker should be on the heels...... Philip

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok..yes, I verified the crank and snout and made sure the #1 was TDC (placed a rod down there and watched it as I cranked) as well as the Intake & Exhaust. We finally got it to start by spraying gas into the throttle body. It fired up but wouldn't stay running (doesn't seem to be getting gas to injectors) and the timing belt keeps wanting to walk off the pulleys. Initially I thought I had a fuel problem- the fuel pump was not sending fuel with the key on but would when you cranked the engine over- so I replaced the fuel pump and then realized I had a broken timing belt. Now, with the new timing belt on...the fuel pump still wasn't sending fuel when ON but was sending when it was cranking; after we got it to fire up (gas in throttle bottle)...it is now sending fuel with the key in the ON position but obviously not getting the fuel to the injectors. I don't understand why the change in the sending of the fuel and also don't understand why the timing belt keeps wanting to walk off. I replaced water pump and pulleys.....do I have two separate problems? one with the fuel and one w/the timing??? I had a mechanic buddy come over and he's at a loss as well. Any help greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,692 Posts
Common causes of walking belt..

• a cog that is not installed square,
  • tensioner pulley too tight (installed with a little help from finger), A NoNo!)
  • Tensioner pulley not installed correctly (not square).
  • Bad belt, or the belt was rolled during installation...

...... Philip

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,692 Posts
Use a NOID and check the injectors for pulse, if non the engine will not have fuel to run...

Check the fuel pump relay, common fault.....

The ignition has been verifies, as the engine will start on test fuel... Philip

·
Premium Member
96 4 DOOR 4WD SPORTAGE, 2014 Hyundai Elantra GT, 2015 Accent Hatchback Sport
651 Posts
Did you replace the water pump? If you did, count the cog teeth on both of them. If they are the same, then no problem, if they are different count, someone sold you a pump off a SOHC. You will need to get a DOHC one.
I can't figure out the battery thing. Check your connections both ground and + connections.
Tell us just what you changed.

UPYOURKIA

1 - 6 of 6 Posts