Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

Ive had my Picanto GS for 3 months now and I love it.

In the UK the picanto comes with a 4x50w JVC mp3 cd player, I want to upgrade the speakers to get an even better sound (i find it distorts at high levels, and i want it louder too).

Firstly,
Size of speakers and removing door panel > I want to replace the front speakers with some better ones, higher power rating, better quality. I tried to take the door panel off but got stuck once I had removed 2 screws from the front, 2 screws from the back, and 2 from the central panel facing the passenger then popped off the black bit by the mirror and got close to popping the door panel off at the front. The door handle on the inside seems to be holding the panel on somehow. I need to find out the size of the speakers so I can buy some new ones. Any ideas how to get the panel off?

Secondly,
Speaker wires to rear doors in GS model that comes without rear speakers > I want to put new speakers in the back (on my GS model there are none as standard), i presume that the process to remove the door panel is similar at the front, are the wires already run into the door or am i going to need to try and run in my own cable?

Thirdly,
Any reccomendations about speakers?

Cheers in advance for all your help

·
Registered
105 Posts
there's a screw on the inside door handle that u gotta unscrew first. then slide it to the left to unlatch it... then unhook the metal rod that's connected to it. that should do it. no idea about the rear speakers tho. still haven't got to that yet.
i replaced my stock fronts with a pair of JBL GTO626s. cheap and they give me very nice mids and highs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, I got the door panel off and had a look at the speaker arrangement. There is a 4.5 inch driver mounted in a white housing into what looks like 6 or 6.5 inch hole in the door.

Im guessin that it is best to get a 16 or 17 cm driver (do they measure between the fixing holes or what?), what kind of power should i be looking at? (the head unit is a jvc kd-g501, 50w peak, 19w rms outputs @4 ohm, stock are 4 ohm, 40 peak, 20 rms).

I am a sound engineer so i want the system to be good quality but also loud, ill go along to the shop and have a listen once i know what kinda of speakers I am looking at getting.

I tried to take the rear door panel off, but couldnt work out how to get the manual turner for the window off. I saw only 2 wires coming out of the door trunking but these go straight past teh speaker and head towards the lock mechanism, possibly the sensor to detect the door shutting?? Ill probably leave the rear speakers out if there is no wires.

Thanks for all your help UnitedIsLife, Jesus and Murphwiz.

Jon

1 - 3 of 3 Posts