Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car got broken into last night, and they busted out the small rear quarter window (the small one that doesn't roll down). Which sucks. What sucks more is when I called the Kia dealer, they quoted a price for the glass alone at $109 (which via www.kiausaparts.com is only $35), and labor of $118. That's a bit steep for me, and I figure I might as well do it myself instead of pay for labor on something this simple.

However, I've done some searching and can't find any tips about whether or not I need any special adhesives or sealants to weatherproof the window. I am going ahead and ordering the weather stripping as well as the glass together. Do I need to do anything special to seal off the window?

And next, I get to find another stereo. Yay! Err, I mean, sucky! :p

Oh well, could have been worse.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
That window just bolts in if I remember right. The door glass needs to be removed (unbolts at the bottom with 2 10mm bolts) and the small window unbolts after that.

·
Registered
2002 Kia Rio
182 Posts
i dont know about the bottom of the window but at the top under the weather stripping there is a screw the will help remove the piece of metal between the glass

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately KiaMech is right :( Here's a rant for those interested in what I've found out today:

- I ordered the glass, replacement weather stripping (Didn't want to deal with all the shards of glass in the old stripping) from kiausaparts.com.
- Parts came in yesterday, but I didn't have a chance to pick them up until this morning.
- The console that I ordered was the wrong part, so they will get that to me Tuesday (Although that didn't matter too much -- my stereo isn't going to get here until Tuesday anyways).
- I paid my 95 dollars after tax for all the parts, which includes prepayment for the console. Not too shabby.
- I got back to my place, had lunch, and got to work. Since I don't have a shop vac, I used a lot of strips of duct tape to pick up the loose pieces of glass out of the window frame. I only cut myself once, and it wasn't very bad ;)
- I removed the old weather stripping, and the screw that Rio_2002 mentioned. I rolled down the window, and attempted to move the "bar" that sits between the windows. It wouldn't slide over much at all. I concluded the panel had to come off.
- To begin removing the panel, you need to take off the window rolling up thingymabober. If you pull on the handle, you'll see a metal clip. I used a very small flathead screwdriver (like electronics small) to push on the clip to unlodge it. Once it's off, the handle comes off. Watch where that clip flies to! Another technique is to use a towel, but I didn't have a towel handy. You can push the towel in next to the clip, and perform a sawing motion until it unlodges it.
- I removed the panel, which involved 5 screws -- three around the outside edge of the door, one in the little "handle" on the door, and one inside of the door handle itself. I pried the edges away, and there are 4-5 (I think 5, but my memory is already failing me) plastic "screws" that will pop out. They require a little bit of effort, but just apply even pressure near the resistance and you'll be good.
- After this, the interior is almost ready to be lifted off. Pull the door upwards over the door lock (assuming non-automatic door locks), and then press the door back towards the interior. I was a bit puzzled at how to proceed for a second, because the door handle had no clear way to be detatched. However, what I did was pulled it away from the door, tilted it downwards, and slid the interior off at an angle.
- Finally, the interior is completely separated. Yay.
- After a bit more inspection, it looks like I either need to get through the plastic liner while the window is rolled up, or I have to take off the next metal layer. I was going to vote on the plastic liner, but...
- I took the weather stripping out of the bag, and the replacement glass out of the cardboard. I put the stripping on the glass, and was going to see if I could manuever it in at this point or not. I then noticed I had the weather stripping on wrong... or did I?
- A few minutes of inspection back and forth, reading the bags label and thinking to myself, "Surely the bag wouldn't have the wrong part in it...", I sat on hold for another 20 minutes waiting for the parts department. Unfortunately, it is the wrong part, so I had to put the panel back on. Ugh!
- I then re-duct-taped my window closed with a fresh piece of cardboard. I'm now re-thinking whether or not I want to do all of that again (And more) just to save 118 dollars :p

So, I do have a question after all of this: if you have replaced this before, do I need to remove the next layer of the door (the metal part), or would rolling up the window half way to expose the bolts, and gently removing the plastic layer be enough? Any tips or ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts