Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
I can tell you about my '02 Spectra...not sure if the '01 Rio is identical or not.

Mine has a grey round cover about 3" in diam on the back of the headlight bezel. Rotate it counterclockwise only a partial turn (not even 1/4 turn) and it should pop out. Then remove the electrical connector from the back of the bulb. Then there is a paper-clip-like wire bent into a very funky shape that is a spring clip holding the bulb in place, just pop this clip off...no need to remove any screws. My bulb is an H7 (55w). The best price I've found is about $14 at autozone.

Hope this helps.

Mark in MA

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima
1,980 Posts
Originally posted by bobbygeorgina@Nov 8 2005, 10:16 AM
Thanks a ton!

That worked and it worked well. - Now I've got some nice, new, brighter than ever before, headlights!

Thanks again!
awesome.. what type of bulbs are you using? and pictures should be taken!

Here are mine - Sylvania Silverstars:

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima
1,980 Posts
Originally posted by bobbygeorgina@Nov 8 2005, 07:18 PM
I was going to post a picture but my camera went caput :( this weekend.

So far I have xenon gas-filled headlights, a spoiler, and a few other minor adjustments made.

I really need to put my money into getting a decent alarm system. - I am thinking about popping $250 for one that pages you when someone is breaking in....that way I can run out of whatever class I am in (I'm in college) and chase their asses down :gunsmilie:. - The reason I need some sort of alarm system is because I got 2 8" headrest LCDs, a 7" in-dash LCD, a DVD/CD/MP3 player, and a rear-view camera a few months ago that I have yet to install.

The only problem is that I'm a poor college student and my finances seem to be elsewhere :beer:. Which reminds me, I want to get my windows tinted ($160) and get autolocks installed on all four doors ($60 each).

Anyway, I really should get a new camera so that I can take pictures of the thing.
What do you mean by "Xenon gas-filled"? what brand and how much did you spend on it? And how much brighter than mine are they, because UNLESS you've bought a new kit upgrade, such as an HID Conversion Kit, then you might have over spent on the bulbs.. mine are Sylvania Silverstars - which I bought @ Advance Auto Parts for $38/pair. They are burning @ 4,000K - 55W. I think they are a MUST for better driving and visability! But newayz, enough about that.. hopefully you'll get a new digicam and take pics of your baby! Peace! :57:

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima
1,980 Posts
Originally posted by bobbygeorgina@Nov 8 2005, 11:28 PM
My guess is that mine aren't brighter than yours. - They're brighter than mine were before.

I paid like nothing (less than $10 after shipping) on eBay for some random off-brand.

I believe mine are 5,000K - 80W/100W Output but I can't be sure unless I get my friend to dig out the boxes at his place. What color were your bulbs. - My stock ones had a silver tip with clear shaft. These new ones had a silver tip but had blue on the exterior of the shaft. The light is a bright white.
OUCH! 80/100W? Man that's HIGH! But to answer your question, the Silverstars come with the tips colored Silver.. Looked nice! My guess is (and I might NOT be right) that the HIGHER the Wattage, the lower the price (hence your price being UNDER $10 W/shipping).. the LOWER the wattage, the HIGHER the price.. hence silverstars ($38/pair @4000K - 55W) - Luminics Bulbs ranging from $29.99 (JDM Yellow Bulbs @2300K - 55W) - 349.99 (Kaixen HID Conversion Kits - @6000K - 8500K @ 35W).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts