Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,

Just took a look at a friend's Rio. He was complaining that the rear brakes made a clunking noise when applied and after sitting for a few days the rear brakes were really dragging.

So I took off the drums on the back end and found that the linings had completely detached from the shoes on one side and were in the process of coming off on the other side! The drums themselves however are not in great shape either (fairly scored) so I'd like to replace them too. This is my first time working on a Kia, so I'm not sure exactly needs to be done to change up the drums. Is the drum integrated with the hub, or can the hub be pressed out and then onto the new drum? If the hub and drum are one assembly and cannot be seperated do replacement drums come with bearing races already installed?

Thanks guys

EDIT: It's a 2001 btw

·
Registered
2001 Kia Rio 5-speed
110 Posts
exact vehicle that i own ;)

the rear drums are held on by the spindle nut. this nut holds the tapered bearings tight to hold your wheel on.

when i changed my rear breaks, i changed everything!!! new inner and outer bearings, new seal, new shoes and a new 'crush' nut (i dont know the official name for it, but you do crush the end to keep it in place, poor design if you ask me)

the other components, which activate the parking breaks, should be thoroughly cleaned in a solvent tank (varsol) along with taking a fine pick scraper and follow those tiny lines where the two moving pieces mate. i found mine to be slightly caked in break dust.

before re-assembling, i took a can of break cleaner, cleaned the back plate, primed it and painted it (to prevent rust). during re-assembly, i used anti-sieze in all the contact points that the shoes touch, along with the parking break cable. this stuff does not drip when the heat of the breaks gets to it, so it is far safer then grease.

as for the bearings dont forget the grease. make sure it is actual bearing grease, too. plus, do NOT use more then one kind of grease, as not all greases are compatible with each other. (fires can occur when mixing grease)

now dont over tighten the 'crush' nut to the bearings, this is a common cause of failure to the bearings. use a box wrench, get the nut finger tight and hold the wrench close to parallel to the ground, let the weight of the wrench be the amount to tighten the nut. seriously! bearings are perfectly ground pieces of metal. no need to add unnecessary pressure with a 'pre-load'. tighten-loosen-tighten a few times to get a feel for how the bearing seats. spin the wheel. you will know when you overtightened, the wheel wont spin so freely.

if you need more info, just ask ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply alio40!!

Did you replace the actual drums as well? Based on what I've found from researching, new drums include the hubs (guess they cant be seperated). Now I'm just trying to figure out if I need get new bearing races (to be installed in the new hub) or if the drum comes with them installed. I get the feeling that I'll need to buy the races seperately. I've been looking on www.rockauto.com and they don't seem to list races (but have everything else listed), so I'm confused as to whether they come with the drums or not.

Here's the URL:
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1373745,pgname,Brake%2FWheel+Hub

Thanks!

·
Registered
2001 Kia Rio 5-speed
110 Posts
i highly doubt they come with bearings installed. i did change the drums, the I.D. was too large (there is a stamping on the drum for diameter tolerance)

bearings are an inexpensive investment, as they support your entire vehicle!!

when i changed my timing belt, i also changed the idler pullies (and the water pump, but that is another story ;) )

the bearings from the KIA dealer is fairly priced compared to a bearing store. too bad they are not like VW, who sells a complete rear kit consisting of inner/outer bearings, seal and grease cup.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts