Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Kia Sportage, 4 cyl, 2WD
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! This is my first post, so please be nice to me :)

I have a 2007 Sportage 4 cyl that has about 106k miles. My husband and I had noticed that the road noise was getting louder and louder in the truck. We thought it was because we needed new tires. After I had new tires put on, the noise did not go away. It started to get louder and louder. We weren't sure where the noise was coming from, everything else has been running normally, and no loss of performance. We then started to hear a metallic sound coming from the back of the truck. Best we can tell is that the wheel bearing is going out on the rear driver's side. I would have sworn that I read, while researching this, is that you can't change the bearing yourself, that a dealer has to do it. There is a special tool that the dealer uses to adjust the tension, and only the dealers have it, you can't even take it to a general mechanic, because the bearing will fail and you will have to replace it again. Maybe my brain has failed me? And if this in fact is the case, would I have the same problem if I decide to have the whole hub replaced, as opposed to just the bearing? Seeing some videos of replacing bearings makes replacing the hub seem a whole lot easier. I welcome any advice!

Thanks!

·
Registered
2004 Optima 2.4 EX, 2005 Yamaha R1 (street) 2001 GSXR 1000 (track)
1,018 Posts
Is your Sportage 2 wheel or 4 wheel drive? The rear bearings on the 4 wheel drive are pressed in. Anyone can do them, but they are not fun. I don't recall if the 2 wheel drive models are the same.

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,129 Posts
They are pressed in and will need to be pressed back in. Any mechanic can do it, not just the dealer.

Or buy a used hub and just swap the whole unit out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts