Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone replaced the downstream O2 sensor on a 2011 Sportage yet?
Mine is bad, crawled under the car to look at it and was hoping for some experienced person for some pointers.

The downstream 02 sensor is the one furthest to the rear of the exhaust.

Removing it looks pretty simple but finding where the wire goes from the sensor is the problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
You only need to follow the wire back 15" and you will find the plug.
Start spaying regularly now with penetrating oil. under front of passenger door on LHD

Jeff

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I finally got around to changing out the O2 sensor and it was much more fun than I ever imagined.
Yeah the plug is only 18 inches from the sensor but it goes up into the body under the carpet and the plug is under the passenger side kick panel of the tranny tunnel under the carpet.
The plug is hidden pretty well and the wires after the plug change color so that made it even more fun to find.

Once you find the plug it wasn't that bad.
I just hope it lasts another 80K miles like the 1st one did.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I am getting code for O2 sensor 1 bank 1. The check engine light came on and I checked code. Next day the check engine light went off but my OBD was still giving code. It has been going off and on(check engine light) all week. Looks easy to replace DIY. 125,000 miles. Just changed original battery about 3000 miles ago. I feel I am doing fairly well in the repairs dept.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I finally got around to changing out the O2 sensor and it was much more fun than I ever imagined.
Yeah the plug is only 18 inches from the sensor but it goes up into the body under the carpet and the plug is under the passenger side kick panel of the tranny tunnel under the carpet.
The plug is hidden pretty well and the wires after the plug change color so that made it even more fun to find.

So how exactly did u go about doing it? I'm getting ready to do this as well

·
Registered
4 Posts

How exactly did u go about getting to the plug? I need to do this soon. Thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So how exactly did u go about doing it? I'm getting ready to do this as well
The best way is to get the exhaust hot before removing the sensor it will come out a little easier. I cut the wires on the sensor and taped the new sensor wires to the old and pulled the new wires up into place.
The wires come up thru the floor at the kick panel on the passenger side. Use caution not to pinch or cut the wires on the new sensor. I also bought a O2 sensor socket to put the new one in, I cut the wires on the old sensor so I just used a regular socket to remove that one.

·
Registered
220 Posts
The best way is to get the exhaust hot before removing the sensor it will come out a little easier. I cut the wires on the sensor and taped the new sensor wires to the old and pulled the new wires up into place.
The wires come up thru the floor at the kick panel on the passenger side. Use caution not to pinch or cut the wires on the new sensor. I also bought a O2 sensor socket to put the new one in, I cut the wires on the old sensor so I just used a regular socket to remove that one.
[/QUOTE
I need to do this change on my Sportage also. I had to heat the o2 sensor bung to get it loose. Now waiting for the replacement to get here from Amazon. Can you tell me how much of the console trim needs tpo be removed to get to the connector? Any hint as to how to spot it?
Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts