Kia Forum banner

Replacement Optima Cd Decks?

4K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  ahfrederick 
#1 ·
I'm a complete n00b with cars, so bear with me. I just bought my new Optima, and I'm looking to change the head unit. I searched through the optima forum and didn't find any existing topics on this, so forgive me if this has already been answered elsewhere.

I want something like this, but the online "fit guide" says nothing at best buy fits my car. Is this actually true, did I buy a car with a proprietary audio system, or is there a way to get a better deck?

#5 ·
Yeah, I have one near me. In fact, I work there full time in another department. However, they claim to not have the book or what not they need to say if it would work in my car. Honestly, they arn't too informed about whats going on in their department. I was hoping I could find someone here that knows more about this particular subject then anyone over there does.

#6 ·
Alright, this is throwing me off.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1099388424944
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-uebqeb3NtUk/c...00&I=130DEHP470

Those are the same exact units, however at best buy it claims not to fit, and at crutchfield it claims to fit. Is there a way to see what the requirements are for my car, to see if the unit I posted in the first post will fit, since best buy's autofitter doesn't seem to have any knowledge about my car?

--Edit--, after some more hunting I found this.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-uebqeb3NtUk/c...h=audio+deck+sd
Looks exactly like the one I wanted from best buy, but is a KD-AR960 instead of a KD-LH910. And it claims to fit, but is more expensive. :blink:

--Edit--, after more searching I found this post by DAB at SiriusBackstage.com
"AR960 has the 24 bit DAC, Aux-Input, 5 volt-outputs, 12 preset equalizer settings, as well as 2 year warranty. LH910, 1 bit DAC, no aux-input, 4 volt-output, 8 preset equalizer settings, 1 year warranty. But other than that they are identical."

Alright, so this brings me to the assumtion that they will both actually work in my car, and that best buy's fitting thing isn't up to date, and also to this question, what is DAC?

#7 ·
I dont really have the answer to your question, but I can see how this can be frustrating, so I'll try to help. I havent changed the cd deck in my magentis, I did it in many other cars. I would think that as long as you can buy a wire adapter that will convert from OEM Kia optima deck to JVC decks without cutting wires, everything should be fine. If your cd player in your optima is the normal one with the little cd compartement under it, you wont even need a plastic casing. It should fit right in, decks have standard sizes, the only thing I would worry about is getting the wire adapter so you dont need to cut wires and tape them back. Also my kia dealer told me I couldnt change the deck because of the car warranty.... So if you are worried about your car warranty I would check with them first.....

Hope this helps a bit, good luck,

Martin

#14 ·
yea man i dont know if you got the new deck in or whatever but all i know is my 2004 Magentis is the proud new owner of one of the top of the line alpine decks and it doesnt get much better than that..but i had a world of problems with the install first the warrenty thing yes your not allowed to install an after market deck....by yourself you must get it done by a pro then it wont effect your warenty second it seems for this year they do not even have a wireing harrness for it so then i had to cut all the wires and do it manualy 3rd the book about the wiring in the car was wrong...wrong how could the book be wrong.dumb a$$e$ luckly I have conections through the sterio world so i got the papers saying that it was instaled by a pro but i got to do it dont worry im pretty much a pro to but what im trying to say is the deck fit in just fine and it was a standerd sized deck so any deck should fit good luck

#15 ·
I installed an aftermarket headunit in my Sorento I once owned. I did not void any warranty by doing it myself. The only way your dealer can void your warranty is by proving your new headunit caused something to malfuntion.
All of the wiring harnesses are avalible at www.crutchfield.com for all of the Optima's. 2001 to 2005. Even though they say they are a Hyundai it will work.

#16 ·
Originally posted by Spec SX@Oct 9 2005, 10:11 AM
I installed an aftermarket headunit in my Sorento I once owned. I did not void any warranty by doing it myself. The only way your dealer can void your warranty is by proving your new headunit caused something to malfuntion.
All of the wiring harnesses are avalible at www.crutchfield.com for all of the Optima's. 2001 to 2005. Even though they say they are a Hyundai it will work.
Yup yup.. remember.. the Optima and Sonata are the SAME CARS!!! :grin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.