Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has had success with installing some new head light bulbs. The guy at Advance told me that it's not a hard process (and shown me how), but there's a good chance that if you're not careful you can easily break the bulb (filament). Should I purchase a set of gloves.. or will that not help? Just curious.. Any suggestions are welcomed! Thanks! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
car
4,208 Posts
I havnt replaced the bulbs but yes a pair of thin gloves (cotton) or a rag should be used so you wont break the filament by touching the bulb with your bare hand. I say thin gloves so that way you can handle the bulb better. You dont want to wear big bulky gloves. Thats how I have always changed bulbs in the past.

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Sorento.. you're always a big help! Always can count on you! :thumbsup:

BTW, after reading your "how to" on clear corner'n the optima, it sounds easy enough. I'm just afraid about the plastic will melt.. LOL yeah I know it's silly.. but that's my feeling.. how does it react in the oven.. (150 degrees is pretty low, but I just don't know...)

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh and while we're on the subject, have you thought about installing aftermarket fog lights on your optima? I've noticed on the front bumper where the lights can go. But I would have to cut into the bumper. :mellow:
Do you know what I'm talking about? What can I use? A dremel tool? Let me know! Thanks! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
car
4,208 Posts
Yes someday I will put fog lights on the Optima. You dont already have the cut outs for a set of them on your Optima? Not quite sure how to cut them. You would have to be very carful not to cut them too big. Maybe you could make some sort of bracket and mount them else where. Its just a thought.

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by 04Sorento@Jun 17 2005, 04:48 PM
Yes someday I will put fog lights on the Optima. You dont already have the cut outs for a set of them on your Optima? Not quite sure how to cut them. You would have to be very carful not to cut them too big. Maybe you could make some sort of bracket and mount them else where. Its just a thought.
Good deal Sorento.. thanks for heads up.. haven't really checked to see if it's there.. but if not.. then it shouldn't be a hard process.. otherwise the HID-Like headlight replacement bulb should be suffice, right?
Well we shall see… I’ll be installing them sometime this week. Geezz and I still need to the K&N Air filter as well.. LOL.. maybe this IS turning into a project.. LOL j/k.. naw it’s more like making SURE that the car runs in tip top shape! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
car
4,208 Posts
I have gotta put a K&N air filter in mine too.
Mine is going to be a project. It will take a few years though. Saving up $$$$.

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LOL.. I hear that brotha! :p
I guess time will tell what I'll do to the car. So far so good! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well it's done, well actually last saturday it was done.. put in the Sylvania Silverstars and I love em! Talk about Gorgeous bright white lights.. luv em! :p
The only problem was that an hour after install the passanger side light burnt out. I was pissed! Spending $20 a bulb isn't cheap.. so the next morning I went back to Advance (near my house) and basically was told to call the 800 number to get them replaced.. I was like WHAT?!?! ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?! :blink: The guy was like.. it's they're fault so they need to replace them.. not us..
Least to say I was PISSED @ that! I'm thinking to myself, (self - so I guess I'm going have to drive 2-3 weeks with only ONE LIGHT!?!?!) Hell no! So I left and went to another Advance (a few miles down the road) and Mike (kool guy) helped me out NO QUESTIONS ASKED! He was like.. hell yeah I can replace those and get some more shipped to the store. I was like... "You're the man Mike!" And he even helpped me and made sure that I installed them correctly in the Optima. NEWayz, long story short.. it was a bad turned to good experience.. and it's been a week with no problems..

Would I recommend these bulbs? That's a YES! :thumbsup:
Here's how much brighter they are:

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by 04Sorento@Jun 30 2005, 08:43 PM
Wow! Those are bright. Im going to have to get myself a set.
Glad to hear ya were able to get a new bulb.
Heh.. glad that could help your decision.. also get some for your Sorento as well.. but hold a second.. check out this site first to see if these might be a better choice for ya.. cuz I'm thinking about getting them if/when these go bad.

http://www.luminicsbulbs.com/index.php

"Luminics: The #1 Aftermarket Bulb - PERIOD." :57:

·
Registered
2003 Kia Optima
12 Posts
Little help on the bulb...Dont touch the glass part of the bulb with your hands, and keep anything else from touching them as well. The oil from your hands cause bad heat on the glass when the light is on, and makes the bulb burn out. Found this out after a few trys myself. Hope I helped XMR ;)

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks X! :thumbsup:
The install was successful, been using the silverstars for about 2 months now. Great buy, a bit expensive but great all the same! :57:
The link that I've provided about the other bulbs, check them out! Looks great and only $25/pair! :haha:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.