Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently received a letter from Kia offering to replace free of charge the hard plastic seat backs on my 2009 Borrego with a non scratching fabric back. They said that the change in production was made after my purchase and they would offer the upgrade. I am in the US. My question is, has anybody seen the replacements and if so, are they worth it. I kind of like the hard plastic but then again I use a blanket over them when hauling. In these days of recalls for many mechanical issues for many auto brands, it is kind of refreshing to get an offer for just a cosmetic change. Or is there more to it?

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Welcome to the forum! No, there isn't more to the recall than cosmetic reasons. The hard plastic tends to scratch easy and the marks are quite noticable. The fabric seat backs are still a perfect color match. We've already done a bunch here at the shop. It's up to you whether or not to get it completed. Your VIN will be flagged for the recall until it is completed though, so your dealer will likely keep reminding you. You'll probably get another letter or two in the mail. If go to www.kiatechinfo.com and register (for free, you'll need internet explorer 7, Adobe SVG viewer, and Mac's aren't compatible), you can read the details of this recall.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
seat backs

thank you for the information, I will check out that site. Do they completely replace the whole back or just apply fabric. Just curious. Do you prefer the fabric or have you had yours done. thx sodomojo

·
Registered
14 Posts
I got the same letter and had mine done. It looks good and is functional. I would do it again.

my two cents...

Coop

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
I wonder if they will do that for the 2010's in Canada. I would LOVE to have a fabric back for the seat instead of the plastic....it does scratch very easy and looks horrible after awhile. I sure hope they do!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yep I took my wifes Borrego in for an oil change last week and they told me of it. I said go ahead and do it, cause she didn't really like the plastic on the backs anyways. When I got it back it looked pretty good. I would recomend it to anyone.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have to disagree with the previous comments. I had mine done and the fabric is really thin and cheap. Instead of a thick carpet like in most vehicles this material is more like a thin felt cloth.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Seat Backs

I had the seat backs done in our Borrego at Kia of Union City. Both the second and third row seat backs were done - no questions asked. The service mgr Justin put the VIN up in the computer just to verify everything and then they replaced the seat backs. They look a whole lot better than the scratched plactic backs that were on there. :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
The Fabric Backs That They Put On The Seats Are Great. It Takes About A 1/2 Hour And They Look Like They Came That Way. Couldn't Be More Pleased.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Anybody have pics of theirs? Am still hesitant...yes i have a few scratches but now use a blanket if hauling anything. Dirt easily wipes off, don't know how the carpet would be.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Well Vancouver got the ass handed to them last night, so i completely forgot about our big win last month... :)

I tried the dealer yesterday and I got a blank stare.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts