Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Borrego & Sorento
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No new Borrego or longer Sorento for 2015 in US, BUT the Hyundai Santa Fe GLS & Limited built since 2013 are 1" longer than the Borrego (Santa Fe Sport is the same size as the Sorento). The Wheel base on the GLS is slightly shorter than the Borrego. The advertised 2nd seat leg room is 4" more than the Borrego. Santa Fe GLS/Limited has a 3.3L V6 290HP vs Borrego 3.8L V6 276HP. The Santa Fe GLS/Limited replaces the Hyundai Vera Cruz which was the Borrego counterpart. Maybe there is a longer Sorento in the works to replace the Borrego.???

·
Registered
09 Borrego EX V8 2WD
103 Posts
No new Borrego or longer Sorento for 2015 in US, BUT the Hyundai Santa Fe GLS & Limited built since 2013 are 1" longer than the Borrego (Santa Fe Sport is the same size as the Sorento). The Wheel base on the GLS is slightly shorter than the Borrego. The advertised 2nd seat leg room is 4" more than the Borrego. Santa Fe GLS/Limited has a 3.3L V6 290HP vs Borrego 3.8L V6 276HP. The Santa Fe GLS/Limited replaces the Hyundai Vera Cruz which was the Borrego counterpart. Maybe there is a longer Sorento in the works to replace the Borrego.???
I drive a V8 Borrego and tow a 5600 lb. boat. Kia's V6 has a 5000 lb. towing capacity. Unless Kia builds another V8 utility vehicle, a replacement would have to be from another manufacturer. I plan on driving my Borrego until its dead... or I no longer have a boat.

·
Registered
Kia Borrego & Sorento
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2016 Sorento Released

All trims of 2016 Sorentos are 3" longer than 2015 Sorento but still 5" shorter than Borrego. However, 2" more 2nd seat leg room than Borrego. Opt. engine: 3.3LV6 - 266HP. New Sorento getting closer in size to Borrego but Santa Fe GLS or Lmtd. still closer yet.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm in the same boat (pun intended) as HavusPapa. Well, not really as I own a camper, not a boat. However, it tops 5800 lbs when loaded. I bought the Borrego primarily for its tow capacity, not how long it was. It was on a very short list of "not pickup trucks" that could pull a camper of decent size/weight.

·
Registered
GSXR1000, Aprilia SXV550, Aprilia RSV4 Factory
146 Posts
There is simply NO replacement for the Borrego V8 coming from Hyundai/Kia. Yes, they may match the leg room and/or wheelbase with the Sorento or Santa Fe, but these are crossovers NOT SUVs. If you use your Borrego as a tow vehicle, the 7500# towing capacity is hard to beat. Also, FWD (as used on all crossovers) is not good for towing.
Like HavasuPaPa said "I plan on keeping mine until it's dead".
At 23-24mpg highway, I'm not complaining about my gas-mileage either.
Robert

·
Registered
2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,537 Posts
the Borrego (Mojave) is still being built at the Hwaseong plant in South Korea.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts