Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife drives a 2013 Sorento purchased in July 2012 and now has about 35K miles on it. The engine died on her today. She had it towed to the dealership and they have told her that the engine is "locked up" and will need replacing. They told her the cause was no oil. We have not seen any sign of an oil leak and it is parked in the garage. I don't drive it so I don't know about any warning signs but she says there were none.

What should I be expecting the cost to be to repair/replace and what should I be asking from them regarding their diagnosis. I know very little about cars but it just seems this kind of thing shouldn't happen without some warning.

Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since the dealership is 60 miles away, she has had oil changes done locally. The receipts that she has are in the car at the dealership. I am assuming the worst and just trying to get a handle on the cost I should expect, how do I assess whether the engine truly needs replacement and what kind of warning systems this car has.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Respectfully, do you all believe that the average person regularly checks their oil level? When the "alarm/reminder" goes off, the car is scheduled for an oil change.

My wife assures me (and I trust her implicitly) that the oil pressure gauge did not show as abnormal nor did the oil level warning light come on.

I have read, on this site, that the light usually comes on only at the very last moments....sort of like the bomb is going off in 30 seconds.... She tells me it never came on.

I'm still looking for guidance on the cost I can expect or is that dependent on how much the dealership thinks they can get?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I check my oil about every 5 or 6 tanks of gas and my main car is a 2014 Honda with 6k miles on it.... but I'm not your average owner.

·
Registered
2012 Sorento EX-V6 Luxury
217 Posts
Respectfully, do you all believe that the average person regularly checks their oil level? When the "alarm/reminder" goes off, the car is scheduled for an oil change.

My wife assures me (and I trust her implicitly) that the oil pressure gauge did not show as abnormal nor did the oil level warning light come on.

I have read, on this site, that the light usually comes on only at the very last moments....sort of like the bomb is going off in 30 seconds.... She tells me it never came on.

I'm still looking for guidance on the cost I can expect or is that dependent on how much the dealership thinks they can get?
Hello
... AVERAGE PERSON here:| I check my oil every month or 2000km... at the same time I also check the brake, steering & other fluids. Just trying to be a RESPONSIBLE OWNER.​

·
Registered
2014 kia rio ex , ford van
196 Posts
i read somewhere else on the forum that a engine replacement cost was about 3500.00 dollars give or take . dont remember for what vehicle but thats a good guestimate for yours as well .

please update us how kia handles this .

·
Registered
2013 Sorento LX
52 Posts
i read somewhere else on the forum that a engine replacement cost was about 3500.00 dollars give or take . dont remember for what vehicle but thats a good guestimate for yours as well .

please update us how kia handles this .

Thanks John Doe, it took a few posts to get the answer the original poster asked. Knowing labor rates and replacement parts costs, I am sure $3500. maybe just a starting point. Good luck to the original poster, and hopefully you are dealing with a reputable dealer that will get you back on the road for a reasonable cost and minimal downtime.
Keep us posted as to how it goes and the final outcome, never mind those that want to chide you for often you check oil, one thing would be helpful to you and to the forum would be filling out the profile listing where you are from, and what trim level, your Sorento is;)

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra -- 2006 Grand Cheorkee limted Hemi.
4,422 Posts
As already noted, where you live will be helpful and If you want a price for a reman engine it would REALLY help if you told us what engine is in your Sorent. 2.4, 4,cyl or the 3.5 V-6? 2WD or 4WD?

·
Registered
2013 Sorento, Suzuki V-Strom
506 Posts
I would not start writing a check just yet.

Where did the oil go? As you say, she paid the dealership for oil changes on schedule. For now we'll assume that they actually did change the oil. Did they remember to refill it? Did they refill it to the correct amount? Did they correctly tighten the oil drain plug and the oil filter? Did she run over something that caused a leak? Is there some mechanical problem inside the engine that caused it to suddenly burn a lot of oil at this time? (We're assuming that if there had been an oil consumption problem before, the service guys would have told her that the level was unusually low at a previous service appointment. Anything like this should have been noted in the records along with a repair recommendation.)

Demand that this be a warranty item. No modern engine should burn oil like that. This has not been the history with the Kia engines here. Something happened. Find out what it was. I don't think these engines have an oil level indicator. Most don't. The oil trouble indicator is a low pressure light. As mentioned, when the light comes on, if the driver shuts off the engine and coasts to the side of the road there is a slim chance of no damage. Otherwise, the light might as well be named an engine damage light.

Do fill out some info in your profile that shows the car details, engine type, and the country you live in.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Just got off the phone with the dealership. They tell me it will be $5,800 with parts being $4,140 and the rest labor. They tell me that there was no external damage. As I stated in my initial posting, my wife had the oil changes done by a local mechanic not the dealership so we will need to deal with him.

The Service manager stated that Kia figures that the 4 cyl engine burns off 1 quart of oil every 3000 miles. That seems like a lot. Is it?

·
Registered
2013 Soul Base, AT, Titanium and 2013 Sorento, 4 cyl, Blue
104 Posts
40K miles on my 2013 Sorento and it's oil is changed every 6K miles. It has never used as much as 1 cup of oil between changes. I have used Mobil 1 synthetic since first change. 1 quart usage every 3000 miles is absurd.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was just looking at my owners manual and it recommends changing oil and filter every 7500 miles or 12 months. If the engine burns 1 quart every 3000 miles, doesn't that mean that 2 1/2 quarts (or more than half the capacity) is lost between changes?

·
Super Moderator
2020 Hyundai Palisades
2,972 Posts
I was just looking at my owners manual and it recommends changing oil and filter every 7500 miles or 12 months. If the engine burns 1 quart every 3000 miles, doesn't that mean that 2 1/2 quarts (or more than half the capacity) is lost between changes?
well check the manual on how often to check the oil and if you did you wouldn't be in the position of forking out the $5800 the dealer wants for replacement and to go 7500 miles without checking the oil is just is inexcusable.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Inexcusable"? I see by your profile that you are a long time mechanic. Maybe, to you it is but not all of us are mechanics.

I'm not sure, though, why you feel compelled to bad-mouth folks who are just trying to get some information.

P.S. I did check the manual and it says one should check every time you fill up with gas so point taken.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No. They are covering nothing.

I will make one more comment and then move on to concentrating on how I am going to pay for this.

In this day and age, when cars can drive themselves, park themselves, know when a door is slightly ajar or a tire is slightly low; it is darn near inexcusable that it doesn't know when its engine (its most important part) is low on oil and provides a warning.

Happy blogging.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts