Kia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Subaru Liberty, Kia Carnival
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey All,

we purchased an 05 Carnival in pristine condition about a month ago, we knew the engine was shot and would need replacing but the car was cheap v v cheap and looked show room ready (if you didn't notice the crapped out engine).

We'd done our research knew the pitfalls and decided to go with the re-machined engine from

Robinson Precision Engines in Bathurst.

I'm writing this because we found dozens of people recommending these engines but no follow up reviews, which is a real PITA when trying to make decisions about which engine to buy.

Our new engine should be to us sometime in the next few days, transport cost was hideous but only because of where we live.

Dropping the old engine out was easy enough I sat on a chair and watched my husband do it :lol: but it didn't take long at all, the hardest part was separating those annoying little fuel line connectors as they'd gunked up with crud over time and set solid.

I'll update this from time to time with any problems and if I can answer any one's questions (and by I, I mean my husband he speaks I type lol) we will.

well that's it for now fingers crossed everything keeps going so well

Jen :)

Engine ordered on the 12th June.
Left Sydney on the 13th July. (unavoidable delay of 2 weeks)
transporting with NorthLine
Arrived18th July Cairns Depot.

27/08/12 Engine's been in for 2 months everything is fine. Have done around 5k so far.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Engine ordered on the 12th June.
Still waiting on Engine arriving.

Rob (98% pretty sure that's his name) from the service/build dept is great answers any question and really comes across as one of the good guys iykwim.

communication from the front office is not so great but I'm not buying a friend I'm buying an engine hoping it wont be too much longer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ours is the 2.5 however from what I understand they do the re-machining for all sizes

·
Registered
2012 Cerato/Forte Hatch SI
184 Posts
Suggest you check if the engine is not the same as the Rover KV6, 2.5 litre!!! Kia used these in the earlier Carnivals under licence from Rover!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
snippet from their website. It is the rover dud engine however it's been redone to eliminate the sleeve problem which caused all the trouble.

Updated OP to include web address.

We manufacture our own sleeves in our cnc equipment to replace the KIA and aftermarket sleeves as they tend to not be within right specifications because they drop and microvibrate inside the block and also at such an early stage in the vehicle. All our sleeves are machined to height once pressed into the block and then are machined to main bearing tunnel to a specific crush height.

The block is bored and honed (with torque plate in place) to specific piston to bore clearance; the heads are reconditioned with emphasis on install height of valves so lifter, cam area etc do not fail.

The engine is balanced within 1 gram, with new pistons, rings, all bearings, gaskets, valves, guides etc, timing belt, adjuster and idler. The motor is assembled with correct tensions and timing. You can 'drive in, drive out', send us your engine by our crate freight or an exchange motor.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bloody hope so lol. now to find a MAF for it other than from KIA themselves.

·
Registered
2012 Cerato/Forte Hatch SI
184 Posts
You could try LandRover for a MAF, knowing LandRover though it would be expensive!!!!:mellow:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got one from Ebay, Only_MAF USA based but fast shipping, excellent service and the thing didn't cost a kidney either :)

Couple of months in all is going as it should, no engine troubles at all. having said that hope i"m not jinxing us. Need to do an oil change (apparently that's typical after X amount of K's with a new engine, in this case new = re engineered)

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,930 Posts
You might post the amount you paid for the reman engine so that other Aussies will have an amount as a reference... I heard they were "dog" engines and your info may help others..
Dave

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
weird. in all the time I was researching this engine I didn't come across a single negative about it. are you sure you're ref'ing the engine I'm posting about?

anyone is welcome to PM me for further details. or easier still ring the company direct. all info is in the OP.

·
Registered
KIA Carnival 2000
56 Posts
Very interesting...I, like you also found a very nice 2000 Carnival with a smokey engine and out on one cylinder. I also discovered it's had a Kia replacement short with an engine number ending in A. I contacted Robinsons and can buy a replacement engine with reworked sleeves and heads for $4400 plus freight. If I drive up to Sydney they'll do the fit for $5400....but here in Melbourne we have Grant Walker Parts nearby who will sell me a brand new short for $2200.... Not sure if it's just an original Kia engine still with the original sin. I should know which way to go when I remove the heads (later today). The vehicle had an LPG conversion fitted 2009 which may well add to the engine problems, especially valve seats. No water in the oil, but the slight coolant loss evident, was found to be the stupid plastic thermostat housing that has completely disintegated around the O ring grooves. Lot's of fun these engines if you're into self harm. I'll keep you posted on progress.

Engine is the renowned K5 (Rover KV6 2.5L)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I hear ya. we had the option of buying an new engine but didn't want to take the risk of it being another dud.

Hope you get a good result with whatever way you decide to go.

Loving this car now if only I could find seat covers that don't cost the earth, kids are killers on seat covers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts