Kia Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
2006 Sorento Timing Belt Replacement

A beautiful post by TimoSorento. I have just bought a 2006 Kia Sorento EX with 144000 miles on it and have no evidence that the timing belt has ever been done on it, other than the fact that it still runs. I am a former foreign car mechanic, from back in the day when cars had timing chains and also an aircraft 'A & P mechanic', though I have never done a timing belt on anything. Anyone got a shop manual they can recommend? The one offered at the beginning of this post doesn't appear to pertain to my vehicle and I would prefer a fairly step-by-step approach, particularly dealing with what has to come off and how to time the cams back in. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I used a puller like this Auto Parts and Automotive Tools
I reversed the jaws and was able to get it off. I had to use a an old socket to get enough length on the threaded end.
My tensioner collapsed at 51,000 miles I'm going to try a new tensioner but if it don't run correctly install two remanufactered heads. It is an interferrence engine. It happened so fast the belt may have dropped before it banged the valves. I had a new water pump,belt and idler pulleys.
Note I hooked the puller on the inside of the pulley and the tool was set for internal hookup.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
The 3.0L and 3.5L V6 DOHC are interference 2003 to 2008 which is what my manual covers.
On the tensioner I put them into a vise and compress when the small holes line up I use a small allen wrench to hold it in place after it is installed pull it out.
The gap should be .15 to .18 inch or 3.8-4.5mm
My new on came with a pin with a ring on it to pull. My tensioner collapsed so it was defective.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I put on the old belt and rotated the engine with a wrench everything appeared in good shape. It had a Gates timing belt and a GMB water pump. This should have been done under warranty. Maybe the dealer is using aftermarket parts. I plan on starting the engine after I install a new belt.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
After waiting for water pump gaskets and getting one wrong gasket. I used No.2 permatex on both sides of the old gasket for the 3 hole gasket and permatex aviation gasket sealer on the housing gaskets. I used a lisle hose pinch off and two KD hose pinch offs to hold the belt on the pulley. It worked better than the camshaft clamps. I started it up and it ran fine. I plan on finishing next week. I was very fortunate the valves didn't bend.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sounds like we have about the same mechanical ability. How long does this job take? I'm not trying to beat the flat rate, just want to plan ahead. My 2005 is at 63,000 so should I be doing the W/P, tensioners and all? Thanx in advance. Jack

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
The generaly accepted practice is to replace All of the TB related parts every other TB change. If it is the first time, you should be ok. YOU need to determine if all the sub parts(Pulleys, tensioner, Water pump) are up to par and will go another 60,000 miles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
rock auto

I finally hit 120,000 miles a few weeks ago and decided it was time to do the timing belt and water pump. I ordered everything in advance off of Rock Auto. I ended up replacing the timing belt, water pump, tensioner, tensioner pulley and idler pulley and thermostat. I think I spent close to $300 for all of it which isn't bad compared to the dealership prices. I am an ex-mechanic so I basically knew what I was up against. The whole job wasn't too bad, but some of it can be quite the pain and maybe a little more than the weekend warrior may want to tackle. To make it a little easier I ordered a crank pulley tool from OTC which made the removal of the crank pulley much easier and it worked excellent for torquing the crank bolt when I was putting it back together. I think the tool only cost about fifty bucks off of Amazon and it was well worth it.

I purchased some 3" * 1/4 inch bolts with washers and nuts to hold the cams in place before removing the belt. I will add some pics to show how I used them. One other tool that I wish I had purchased was a socket that would fit the holes in the tensioner pulley. I was able to set it with some snap ring pliers that I had but it was a little frustrating.

Installing the timing belt was a little tricky since the right side cam pulleys moved on me a bit (my fault for not tightening up my holding bolt a little better). I started the belt on the crank pulley and then over the idler and onto the first set of cam pulleys. As I got the belt on the first pulley I put a wire tie through the pulley and around the belt to keep it secure while I was finishing the rest of them. I also put a wire tie on each pulley as I got the belt installed on them. This worked out great because even if your cam sprocket moves a bit while you are aligning the others it will come back into place once the belt is in place on all of the pulleys.

All in all it's not that bad if you just take your time and pay attention to the details! It was a bit scary on the first startup after the install, but if you keep all of your timing marks in place and follow the proper procedure there isn't that much to worry about. :)

You can also view more photos at 2004 Sorento Timing Belt change pictures by timo123451 - Photobucket

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

May I clarify rock auto website is RockAuto Parts Catalog ?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I also just replaced mine. I also did the WP, Valve cover gaskets, SPlugs and wires, both heater hoses in rear, drive belts, plug tube gaskets, A/C oil, drive belt idler and O-rings on the water pipes. I also purchased the majority of the parts from Rock Auto. I also replaced the suction hose on the A/C. It has had a pin hole leak for some time. I made the crankshaft holder tool and the adjuster. I put pics for you all to see. With the scrap steel, a nut and bolt and some metal working skill you can too. All in all I would do it again. I learned a thing or 2 so it is not so intimidating as I thought. I helps to have the right tools. Homemade or bought.

The holes are 2.75 inches center to center. The bolts are grade 8 X 7/16"
I made the short one to be able to turn the crank when I had the plugs out. It made it nice when I had to spin the engine over to check the belt and marks.
Hey nstoolman1,

I know this is an old post but I was wondering if you had the specs and the tensioner that you made. Specifically how far apart the pins are and the thickness of the pins. Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
First topic that I was actually looking at to do on my 05 Kia Sorento (240xxx kms) but its had a engine change so could be anything.

Yes Im from Australia :D gotta take my right side cover off so I can see if the timing belt is still good.. although got a light weird noise but not sure if its from the lifter or timing haha

the joys

21 - 37 of 37 Posts
About this Discussion
36 Replies
26 Participants
hosip1918
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing