Kia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento SX+ 3.3L V6 (red)
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hmmm. I had a local mechanic shop replace the stock HID bulbs on my 2016 Sorento SX+ with third-party HID bulbs (these: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01KSTL06U/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) about a week ago. They did say the installation was really difficult for some reason, sounded like they had a lot of problems...they said "I'll tell you what, we're never going to replace HID lights again."

Since they replaced the bulbs, I've driven hundreds of kilometres, no issues. Today however, I just got a "low-beam: warning" message on my digital dashboard for the right-side headlight. I exited the car and took a look, and both headlights appear to be on.

Any ideas as to what's going on here and what I can do about it?

·
Registered
2019 Sorento EX V6
793 Posts
Replace them with LED's. There are several threads on here about what is good and how to do it.
HID has an issue with the BCM. A few guys have stated they got around it. The usual way is with resistors, They get HOT.
Others have blown out the LED eyebrows installing the HID lamps. The headlight assembly is about $800.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SX Turbo AWD (sold)
772 Posts
Replace them with LED's. There are several threads on here about what is good and how to do it.
HID has an issue with the BCM. A few guys have stated they got around it. The usual way is with resistors, They get HOT.
Others have blown out the LED eyebrows installing the HID lamps. The headlight assembly is about $800.
His car is factory equipped with HID

Hmmm. I had a local mechanic shop replace the stock HID bulbs on my 2016 Sorento SX+ with third-party HID bulbs (these: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01KSTL06U/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) about a week ago. They did say the installation was really difficult for some reason, sounded like they had a lot of problems...they said "I'll tell you what, we're never going to replace HID lights again."

Since they replaced the bulbs, I've driven hundreds of kilometres, no issues. Today however, I just got a "low-beam: warning" message on my digital dashboard for the right-side headlight. I exited the car and took a look, and both headlights appear to be on.

Any ideas as to what's going on here and what I can do about it?
Doesn't sound like a very competent mechanic. Not that difficult of a job. What was wrong with the stock bulbs?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Doesn't sound like a very competent mechanic. Not that difficult of a job. What was wrong with the stock bulbs?
Nothing wrong with the stock bulbs...just that another member on these forums, CrazyBiker, said he put these bulbs in instead and felt they made a noticeable difference in brightness. I figured I'd try it, as I find the stock bulbs not bright at all.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento EX V6
793 Posts
If the bulbs he is referring to are regular bulbs, they suck in this car. I don't think he is referring to factory HID but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I'm referring to the stock factory HID bulbs. They came standard on the 2016 SX+ trim level up here in Canada.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
By "he" do you mean me? I'm quite sure they're the correct bulbs.

·
Registered
2017 Sorento
38 Posts
Many light bulbs in cars now also talk on the CAN bus so the computer knows when one is blown. Often aftermarket ones have issues with the CAN bus part.

I have a 17 with HID bulbs. Are the 16s that bad? I have great light from my 17 and they reach further than other new cars I drive. It does have a horizontal cutoff that many would mistake for bad headlights but they still throw light way out there. In the other thread about headlights it makes me think that some may need to make a trip to the optometrist and check for cataracts as they will cause you think your headlights don't throw as far out or it's an issue with people getting used to the european style horizontal cutoff.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
895 Posts
I'm with you, elcam84. My '16 HIDs work just fine.
I did, last weekend, rent a Hyundai Tucson with the standard lights - which appear to be the same design as the Santa Fe. If the non-HID Sorento lights are anything similar, I do see the reason for complaint. The cut-off didn't seem any different vertically, but I noted out on the country roads of the NE in the dark that by the time I got close enough to many signs to read them, there wasn't any longer enough lateral spread to get light on them at their height. It seemed focused to tightly forward for me. Didn't have time to really experiment, but I wasn't impressed. It is NOT an issue I have with the HID on the '16 Sorento, that's for sure.

·
Registered
Considering 2016 Kia Sorento SX 2.0T
6 Posts
Most likely something wrong inside the bulb, but the filament is still fine.

I just put these in and they are working fine. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07MMF3WTP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also looked at the bulbs you mentioned, but these appear to be knock of philips bulbs and their build quality looked better. I'm sure inside they're the same Chinese junk though.

The job is not easy because there are two screws that are very hard to get to inside the housing to replace the bulb. It's very easy to drop these screws inside the housing as there's no retainer clip holding them in. You definitely want to have a magnet on hand to retract a dropped screw.

·
Registered
Considering 2016 Kia Sorento SX 2.0T
6 Posts
This is what the bulb looks like once installed, you can see the two philips screws on the metal bracket holding the bulb in place.

I personally would not pay someone to replace these for me, just get yourself a screwdriver and a retractable or bendable magnet to do it yourself in case you drop a screw.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts