Kia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went to Wal-Mart and had the oil changed and finally gave in and had the battery changed (they said it was not keeping a full charge and needed to be changed for at least two previous oil changes). I was not noticing any issues with the battery, but since my wife is pregnant now and winter is coming and we will be traveling, I wanted to be on the safer side.

So we get that work done and I come home, pack the car and we leave. As I'm driving through town I noticed the familiar smell of radiator fluid and I look down at my dash...the temperature indicator is maxed. So I pulled into a parking lot, called for someone to get my wife and dog and begin to look at the engine. I notice that the radiator fans would not run. I waited a while to see if they would turn on by themselves and they did not. I checked all the wiring that I could see directly associated with the radiator and fans and nothing appears to be loose or tampered with. I checked the connections to the battery and the fuse at the positive connection and they look good. I turned the fans with my hand once I was confident that they were not going to turn on and they turned with just a slightly resistance (i.e. easy to turn but did not spin "freely").

I tried to pull and look at the Radiator Fan relay or fuse (listed in the fuse box above the driver-side front wheel and behind the battery) but could not get a grip on it to pull out. So I do not know if it is bad.

Anyone familiar with this situation? Are there some known or common problems like this with replacing Kia Optima batteries? This is a 2006 (1st half of the year) Kia Optima LX, 4 cyl.

I appreciate any helpful feedback.

Robert

·
Registered
1999 Kia Sephia, 2016 Kia Optima SXL, 2019 Kia Soul Plus
1,110 Posts
I went to Wal-Mart and had the oil changed and finally gave in and had the battery changed (they said it was not keeping a full charge and needed to be changed for at least two previous oil changes). I was not noticing any issues with the battery, but since my wife is pregnant now and winter is coming and we will be traveling, I wanted to be on the safer side.

So we get that work done and I come home, pack the car and we leave. As I'm driving through town I noticed the familiar smell of radiator fluid and I look down at my dash...the temperature indicator is maxed. So I pulled into a parking lot, called for someone to get my wife and dog and begin to look at the engine. I notice that the radiator fans would not run. I waited a while to see if they would turn on by themselves and they did not. I checked all the wiring that I could see directly associated with the radiator and fans and nothing appears to be loose or tampered with. I checked the connections to the battery and the fuse at the positive connection and they look good. I turned the fans with my hand once I was confident that they were not going to turn on and they turned with just a slightly resistance (i.e. easy to turn but did not spin "freely").

I tried to pull and look at the Radiator Fan relay or fuse (listed in the fuse box above the driver-side front wheel and behind the battery) but could not get a grip on it to pull out. So I do not know if it is bad.

Anyone familiar with this situation? Are there some known or common problems like this with replacing Kia Optima batteries? This is a 2006 (1st half of the year) Kia Optima LX, 4 cyl.

I appreciate any helpful feedback.

Robert
It would be a good idea to pull the 30A RAD fuse by the battery to see if it is blown. During the battery install, they may have left the key on and the arcing happened to take out that fuse. The only thing that should occur when the battery is replaced is the ambient temp reading will change to Celcius and the other normal things (clock, radio presets, etc.).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts