Kia Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Kia Sorento 2.4L V6 LX
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the extremely dim headlight problem that I have seen multiple places. How dim are they? Mine are so dim that when there is a car behind me, I see a shadow of my car in front of me.

I have adjusted them multiple times, up/down left/right, with no luck. Maybe not the most scientific, but should have seen some improvement with one of the adjustments.

I have the stock OEM H7 headlights. Tried brightest halogens I could find and LEDs that didn't make a difference. I am at the point of replacing the headlights, but wanted to know if anyone has just replaced the low beam projector instead of the whole assembly. Seems to be a much cheaper route.

Sorry I didn't have my account setup correctly on first attempt. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
Sorento 2015 LX 2.4 AWD
601 Posts
What is the condition of the headlight lenses? Are they eroded and milky ? IF so, no kind of extra wattage would come as a solution.
Plastic lenses of nowadays cars are just POS, compared to glass Fresnels of the past that would put the light where it belongs with 30watt filaments. My recent cars all needed full replacement of the entire units after a few years due to erosion. Even then I consider them purely as position lights and I have not gone to solutions that mean blasting the incoming cars with blinding beams.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Sorento 2.4L V6 LX
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lenses are in good shape. A few minor scratches but not fogged over. Nothing that would cause lights to be as dim as they are. To me the amount of light coming out seems like enough. It just seems that the projector scatters it in a way that doesn't put any light where it's needed. Pulling up close to garage door and they are brighter than my wife's Edge, but driving on the road you care barely see anything that isn't reflective.

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sportage EX 2.7L
114 Posts
Might be worth a shot. I'm dealing with this on another vehicle I own, which has had the projectors burnt by the DRL's over the years. I've got some hi wattage led's on order. If that doesn't fix it, I'm going to try my hand at disassembling the headlight and replacing with a LED projector set that I found online.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts