Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2018 KIA Sportage LX
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two things I would like to upgrade:

1.) I own a 2018 Sportage LX with the base 5" screen. However, I would like to upgrade to the larger OEM 7" unit with CarPlay. Has anyone tried this before and is there any reason I should not do it? I would also like to mention I found a Grade A refurbished unit I'm considering purchasing as the replacement.

2.) My car has a naked roof. I would also like to install the OEM roof rails. Is this a tough job or should it be fairly easy to do?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,106 Posts
Don't know about the roof rails, but that might require drilling into the roof and removal of headliner. Regarding the larger head unit, it is much more involved as it requires rewiring the car since you car has a different harness. If you want CarPlay, then I recommend going to Crutchfield and getting an aftermarket unit which is much, much better than the OEM unit. They will give you all of the adapters and you can also get modules to enable your steering wheel controls. You'll also get all of the installation instructions. Just go on their website and take a look. Besides, that's much cheaper than getting an OEM unit and all of the accessories necessary to install it.

·
Registered
2018 KIA Sportage LX
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't know about the roof rails, but that might require drilling into the roof and removal of headliner. Regarding the larger head unit, it is much more involved as it requires rewiring the car since you car has a different harness. If you want CarPlay, then I recommend going to Crutchfield and getting an aftermarket unit which is much, much better than the OEM unit. They will give you all of the adapters and you can also get modules to enable your steering wheel controls. You'll also get all of the installation instructions. Just go on their website and take a look. Besides, that's much cheaper than getting an OEM unit and all of the accessories necessary to install it.

Thanks! This is what I ended up going with. Crutchfield had a great price on a unit but I found a cheaper identical model on another website. I ended up buying all the adapters on Crutchfield, though. Definitely saved a lot of money!

·
Registered
2018 Sportage EX
198 Posts
Two things I would like to upgrade:

2.) My car has a naked roof. I would also like to install the OEM roof rails. Is this a tough job or should it be fairly easy to do?

Thanks in advance!
According to this it is just clips and rails. The trim strips cover the body joint and mounting areas that would be covered by the rails.

This is the online store for a Kia dealership near me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts