Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 1999 Kia Sedona and the audio is in two seperate units. A CD, plus a Tape and Radio combination unit.

It appears that the CD is faulty as it often kicks the CD out after being inserted, or it takes ages if forwarding to a different track.

I think the best option is just to replace the CD, but does anyone know what make it is and where I can get a second-hand replacement as I didn't get a radio manual when I bought it?

Also, I can control the radio and volume from my steering wheel. As I would like to retain this function, do I need to take anything into consideration if I changed it to a standard CD / Radio?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards
Muppet

·
Registered
34 Posts
:D Muppet, I have a similar problem with my '99 model.

I would recommend you look around for an up to date head unit and replace the lot - after all who uses tapes now anyway?

Also, the radio doesn't have RDS, EON etc and is a pain when cruisin' round the country having to re-tune etc.

You will probably find it will cost less as well.

Kia do a natty unit which hold four CD's which will take up the space left over when you ditch them both - check out the Kia accessories site, cost is about £26 I think, but your dealer will check this for you.

Many of the good manufacturers can link in with the steering wheel controls as they use a standard DIN connector set up. I've been looking at the Alpine head units and these hook straight in according to the spec's.

To get to the screws etc, remove the ashtray and carefully pull the 'mahogony' moulding at the left - it all just pushes into clips and comes off in one piece.

Good luck

Roadrunner

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

Many thanks for the quick and extremely helpful reply.

I've had a quick look on the internet and have not had any joy in finding a suitable stalk adapter. Do you have any idea of the part number or type?

Alternatively, do you know the Alpine model that does not require such an adapter?

Thanks again
Muppet

p.s. great tip about the strorage unit!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many thanks for all your help.

I have sorted everything out except for the stalk adapter.

Although I can now install a standard radio, I really would like to retain the steering wheel controls.

I've not had any joy with Halfords, and the closest I've come is from www.incartec.co.uk/Resources/CarAudioSteeringcontrols.pdf who have one for a Kia Sorrento.

I gave them a ring, and was advised that they would contact Kia as they didn't realise that the Sedona has steering wheel controls (although my understanding is that it is only available on the Executive model).

I'll see what they come back with, but in the meantime I would be very grateful if anyone else knows where I can obtain one from.

Kind Regards
Muppet

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nearly there... but how do I feed the antenna cable between the windscreen and the dash?

I am very grateful for your very generous offer, but have decided to purchase a Sat Nav system and have already purchased most of the equipment.

The good news is that the Blaupunkt Freestyler, retailing at a delivered price of £329.99, does not require any wiring to the pulse sensor or reversing light. This is also a huge advantage should I change vehicle in the future. I hope to order one shortly.

As this will take up one of my DIN sockets, I’ve already bought a Blaupunkt A-09 multi-changer from Ebay to fit in the other. This way, I can listen to different CDs and navigate at the same time. Also, I won’t lose any storage room elsewhere and I don’t have to struggle wiring it across the car.

In order to install the Freestyler, I’ve confirmed that the Kia Sorrento stalk adapter will fit my Sedona so have bought that along with the vehicle interface for £31.99 and £4.99 respectively (or £9.99 for the wiring harness instead of the stalk adapter if you don’t want / need the steering wheel controls). The total price delivered being £42.50.

The overall price for the Sat Nav system, stalk adapter and interface lead being £372.49 (plus about another £70.00-£100.00 for the A-09 multi-changer, depending on where you get one from). This, in my opinion, being much better, easier and cheaper than buying locally.

As soon as I’ve connected it, I’ll post to let you know how easy it was and if it all works.

Here are the UK links for those how may want to install a Sat Nav without having to completely disassemble their car for less than £400.000, including connection leads and maintaining the steering wheel controls!!

Please note that I have yet to confirm that this all works, so I suggest you wait on my next post before committing to buy.

Adapters/ Facias/ Leads:

Click here

Stalk Adapter:

Click here

Blaupunkt Interface:

Click here

Blaupunkt Freestyler:

Click here or
Click here

So all looks good – except for two things!!

Firstly: I hope to hide the antenna behind the dash. But if the signal is weak I may have to put it on the dash instead.

I’ve had a quick look and cannot see an easy way to feed the antenna cable between the windscreen and the dash. As I don’t like to force or cut things, I would be very grateful for any advice on where to locate the antenna, and how to get the cable behind the dash.

Secondly: I've just come across another problem...

The double din socket is not actually double din!! The existing radio/CD is about 10cm high. I've measured my Blaupunkt A-09 and that is 6cm high. If the Freestyler is also 6cm then I'll be 2cm out. I think my only options are:

1) To fit the A-09 in the passenger footwell and get a fascia to house a single din for the Freestyler.

2) Cut the dash to make it bigger - not what I want to do!!

Any other suggestions would be most welcome.

Why the hell don't they make these things standard sized!! (So you are forced to buy their own overly priced products no doubt!!).

Kind Regards
Muppet

1 - 7 of 7 Posts