Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Kia Rondo EX 7-Seater, 2.4L I4, Burgundy
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My five year old Rondo is now off warranty and I was thinking of taking it to a nearby non-dealer repair shop for its next maintenance visit, thinking I'd probably save some money and travel. However, I'm a little hesitant so I thought I'd ask for some thoughts first. Any advice and experience with regards to that? When I went to the dealer, they knew what needed to be done based on the mileage and repair history. Can I expect the same from a non-dealer repair shop? Should I expect lower quality workmanship, or just the same? Is the training of dealer mechanics any different from that of non-dealer shops?

Thanks

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,536 Posts
its no different than getting any vehicle serviced that has run out of warranty. Many models would have run out of warranty about two years before the Rondo (Ford, Toyota, Honada, etc).

You just follow your maintenance manual as normal, but you will have to tell the repair shop what items you want serviced based on your schedule. Obviously the dealer specializes in your make of vehicle and are up to-date on all info that is made available to them and also they get the specialized training.

I had a '08 Rondo and got it all serviced at my dealership but it was still under warranty when I traded it so using other independent shops did not apply, but its not a requirement to use the dealership even if your still under warranty.

Prior to purchasing new and used to get all my used vehicles serviced at a regular independent garage and found one that did a good job and continued with that place till I eventually bought new, then stuck with the dealer, but if they did not provide good service I would have gone elsewhere, but for over 5 years now they treat me well and have no problems so going to stick with them.

·
Registered
Kia Ceed, MGTF, Various Jeeps new and old, FIAT 500
268 Posts
The big thing I find is that with general oil changes and the like the local shops are fine but anything more complicated usually needs special tools or computer diagnostics or programming that is specific to the make/model that the local shops don't have.

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
2008 Kia Rondo EX V6
355 Posts
I guess I'll keep using my dealer for regular services. The oil change is around $27 after coupon. It is $5 to $10 more than the cheapest deal in town, but the dealer would do a car wash and provide shuttle service. For more expensive repairs, I'll check the prices at different places. I am also saving my key chain tag with 12% and 15% discount for major repair at Kia.

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Impreza 2.5i Premium 5-door, *old* 2009 Kia Rondo LX 4cyl 2.4L
492 Posts
I stick my garage in my house for regular services ;) May take a little longer, but I know the work is done right!

·
Registered
2008 Kia Rondo EX 7-Seater, 2.4L I4, Burgundy
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to those who responded. For the time being I'll probably stay with the dealer.

·
Registered
2007 Rondo EX 4cyl. 5 pass.
510 Posts
If your dealer has treated you well, that is probably best. They know your car and are more likely to spot something wrong before it fails completely. I do all my own servicing, but if I didn't, I'd go to the dealer.

·
Registered
2007 Kia Rondo EX V6
255 Posts
I go back and forth on this one...my dealer wanted to tear apart my dash for an A/C problem in which they were guessing on...while I was not comfortable with their diagnoses I took it to an independent A/C shop and bingo it was the A/C Clutch on the compressor..Diagnosed in a few minutes..so the Dealer is not always the best solution. Get second opinions like taking your kid to a doctor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts