Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
07 kia optima ex
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed the head light bulbs in my ’07 Optima several times and it was HELL!:eek:
Based on the info in my owner’s manual, I did just the right thing even if it was nearly impossible to get into those tight spaces to change the bulb while not able to see anything. The manual makes it seem utterly simple! Then I discovered the CORRECT WAY to change the bulbs over at the Kia tech site (https://www.kiatechinfo.com/) and the next time it was A PIECE OF CAKE!!!:cool:
What is funny (and pretty rotten) is how the Kia owner’s manual tells me that I may have to take my car to a Kia tech IF I don’t have the right tools or “expertise” to change a bulbs myself. I remember when a headlight bulb could easily be changed with ordinary tools by almost anyone! Then, the manual goes on to show me (with cute little pictures) exactly how to take off the cap, unclip the bad bulb & reinstall a new one while making it all seem simple and effortless! The manual DOES NOT BOTHER to mention anything about the CORRECT method that is found in the Kia tech site about removing the entire lamp assembly from the fender and THEN follow the manual’s instructions to replace a bulb. The manual gives us the impression that it is going to be nearly impossible for the average person to change those bulbs but does not even bother to show us exactly how to do it THE RIGHT (and easy) WAY!:confused: The Kia owner’s manual is a dishonest and deceptive scam in this regard! The owner’s manual needs to show us exactly how to do the job and then leave it to us to decide if we have the tools and/or “expertise”.

So for anyone interested in changing your bulbs the easy RIGHT WAY and not the extremely difficult WRONG WAY that the owner’s manual shows us, you only need a 10MM wrench or ratchet and the information from https://www.kiatechinfo.com/ to show you how to unfasten and pull out the head light assembly AND THEN go ahead with the (incomplete and misleading) information provided in your owner’s manual.
On my car, there are two little 10MM bolts inside the engine compartment, behind the lamp housing and one 10MM bolt on the top (see pictures at https://www.kiatechinfo.com/). Remove them & then pull the lamp housing forward and out of the fender well to expose the back of the lamp assembly. Go here: https://www.kiatechinfo.com/ … sign in or register… click on Service Info (SI) which brings you to the Shop page, enter the model, and year, etc., click on Body Electrical System, click on Lighting System, click on Head Lamps then Repair. The first picture is deceptive but the two small 10MM bolts (lower left in picture) are WITHIN the engine compartment and BEHIND the lamp assembly - not in front as the picture shows! The 10MM bolt on top is pretty obvious. Once you have the assembly out, refer to the (incomplete) information in your owner’s manual. Remove the big round cap (as the owner’s manual shows) to access the bulbs and replace. It’s that simple! It was HELL getting in there and I dropped things and made mistakes all because the Kia manual could not bother to show me the RIGHT WAY to do a simple and easy job.
Between the two sources, you can easily replace a bulb YOUR SELF and for a much lower fee than any tech will give you.
I worked in gas stations and sold unsuspecting motorists lots of stuff they didn’t even need so I understand that GREEDY carmakers and dealers make things difficult and mysterious to bring in service $$$ anyway they possibly can.
Please don’t let DISHONEST and GREEDY dealers and carmakers rip you off with their misleading manuals and dirty shop tricks.
Good luck,
Jim
:)

·
Registered
13 Posts
The site that you mentioned does not have a KIA CEED model and is extremely user unfriendly.
I could not find any photos or description.

But thanks for the effort anyway.

MifPT

·
Registered
Kia Sportage Platinum Ford Mondeo XR5 Turbo 2010
4 Posts
Hi hanks for the info, the site is for America only.
I need the Aussie site if there is one.
Cheers,
Michael

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 2013 BMW K1600 GTL
11,240 Posts
Hi hanks for the info, the site is for America only.
I need the Aussie site if there is one.
Cheers,
Michael
This is an international site.

There's many Aussie members here, but don't know of a Aussie site like this.

·
Registered
KIA's 2000 Carnival, 2008 Magentis, 2005 Optima
561 Posts
I changed the head light bulbs in my ’07 Optima several times and it was HELL!:eek:
Based on the info in my owner’s manual, I did just the right thing even if it was nearly impossible to get into those tight spaces to change the bulb while not able to see anything. The manual makes it seem utterly simple! Then I discovered the CORRECT WAY to change the bulbs over at the Kia tech site (https://www.kiatechinfo.com/) and the next time it was A PIECE OF CAKE!!!:cool:

:)
You obviously haven't changed many bulbs on modern makes, as it is almost universal nowadays to remove the complete light assembly for access. While it is possible on many makes including KIA's to leave it in and work from the rear of the light,
it usually is more time conservative to pop the lamp assy out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts