Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a website that can show me step by step how to remove the old unit.. (tape deck), i have looked around and found one that tells me to remove a few screws, then just stops telling me what to do.. I was hoping i could get some answers here, i have a 1999 kia sephia...thanks a lot in advance

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,124 Posts
Ok start
there are 2 screws above the gauges if you looking at them from drivers seat!!! take em out.
Then take the top plastic peice off the top of the steering wheel no screws just pops off...
then lift up and out on the big plastic peice you took the 2 screws out of.
Then you will have access to the back where you have to unhook the instrument cluster dimmer switch and power mirror switch. also unhook the connection in back for the cruise control, the hazard switch and rear defroster switch.... now you can take the big plastic peice out all the way. THen you will see the 4 screws around the deck take em out and done...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
alright thanks..i read somewhere about a screw in the ashtray or something..also, i have the basic model, doesnt have cruise control or power mirrors...I am just alittle nervous taking all that out..but thanks..ill give it a go

·
Premium Member
6,124 Posts
The ashtray piece doesnt need to come out.. its actually easier than it sounds!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
okay, i went ahead and tried it, i started to take off the plastic piece that surrounds everything, and it all was coming off easy...when i get to the left side of where my air condition knob is..its really tight, i didnt want to just yank it off and bust anything...is there a certain way i should pull it off, unclip anything..??? thanks

EDIT EDIT EDIT ::::

okay i got that off now, and when i go to remove the tape deck, i cannot pull the deck out the whole way because of the black wire in the back right of the player.. Im guessing that is the power... There isnt enough slack to get the deck out to unhook it, how can i get inthere to do that since i cannot pull the deck out the whole way..it doesnt just pull out right..it looks like there is 2 little screws...couldnt see very well, had to do it by touch...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know i just keep tacking on post here,

anyway..
i plan on installing the kenwood mpv7019... Which harness do i go about getting, and is there a way i can get one that is already wired up and i do not have to do it. I was never good at doing that kind of stuff.. I thought the harness that was left on my kenwood from my old car would work... It was in a 88 horizon and then a 96 dodge neon....How do i go about getting the right hook ups to get me going....Sorry im new with the whole installing stereos.

·
Premium Member
6,124 Posts
i got ya on aim!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Just go to autozone or pepboys and ask for the wiring harness for your make/model. Worst case scenario try circuitcity/bestbuy. I wont try splicing wires, gets complicated.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts