Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Sportage
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for instruction on how to remove the headlamp assembly so I can get to the position lamp and change the bulb.
I found the bolt on the top of the assembly but that doesn't seem to release the entire assemble.
Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,117 Posts
Get someone with a smaller hand. I can change both front marker/parking lights without removal.

·
Registered
2007 Sportage LX 4WD
9 Posts
1) Remove the bolt that you can see;
2)Remove the cover that goes across the top of the radiator, this exposes the other fastener that holds the headlight assembly in;
3) for the driver's side headlamp assembly, it helps to remove the air filter hose. This involved removing 2 screw in clips then twisting the hose off from the air filter;
4)I used a set of needle nose pliers to pull up on the pin that hold the headlight assembly in;
5) remove the wiring harness. One harness controls the headlight, parking lamp and turn signal bulbs.
6) wiggle the headlamp assembly off. The bottom outside of the assembly has a tongue that goes into a groove on the Sportage's frame.
7) change and test your bulbs after replacing wiring harness;
8)replace the headlamp assembly keeping in mind the tongue and groove clip and the 2 V brackets that the pin slides into;
9)slide the pin back in;
10) replace the radiator cover and plastic screw clips, if you pull out most of the screw, you can just push them back in;
11) replace the air cleaner hose;
12)replace the bolt
13)finished!

You can also access the fog light bulbs by using this technique as well but I go through the wheel well after turnin the wheels.

·
Premium Member
6,117 Posts
WHY OH WHY, DO NOT REMOVE the whole headlight. If you want I will go out today, take a video and show the 1 minute removal of BOTH marker lights.

It is a sqeeze but can be done.

·
Registered
2007 Sportage LX 4WD
9 Posts
WHY OH WHY, DO NOT REMOVE the whole headlight. If you want I will go out today, take a video and show the 1 minute removal of BOTH marker lights.

It is a sqeeze but can be done.
Go ahead and upload a video. I probably would have used that method if I had seen it before.

Unfortunately, I did not and had no idea what the backside of the headlight assembly looked like. Now I do. :D

·
Premium Member
6,117 Posts
Didn't you read my post, that you posted after mine?
I was just stating to save that hr of labor of taking it fully out, and just get a friend with a smaller hand to take it out and throw the new one in.

·
Registered
07 kia optima ex
54 Posts
Tech info

I am looking for instruction on how to remove the headlamp assembly so I can get to the position lamp and change the bulb.
I found the bolt on the top of the assembly but that doesn't seem to release the entire assemble.
Any ideas?
>>> Go to the Kia tech page and look up your car there: https://www.kiatechinfo.com/

>>> that's where I finally got some good tips for my 07 Optima. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
07 Amanti turnlight assembly replacement

Can't figure out what type of clip is supposed to lock the assembly in place. Mine is missing or broken.

·
Registered
'07 Sportage, '09 Sportage, '06.5 Optima
13 Posts
I don't have terribly big hands and even trying to get to the turn signal bulb buried up under the fender is a paint. I found it is actually much easier to pull the whole assembly. Undo the visible bolt and then on the back of the assembly in the direction of the radiator is a simple metal retaining clip (looks like an upside down L). Pull it straight up. After that with a little wiggling the whole assembly comes out. Reverse that process to go back in. Does not affect aiming at all as that is inside the assembly. Did this on my brother's 09 in the pouring rain in an Autozone parking lot replacing a turn bulb. Less than 5 minutes.

·
Registered
Gen 1 Vanilla Soul Shaker 1.6 crdi Auto 2013
1,496 Posts
Removing the Sportage head lamps takes less time to do than reading the method, but care must be taken when refitting to make sure it is correctly seated.

Jeff

·
Registered
09 Kia sportage. 13 Mazda CX9, 05 Mazda6, 97 Mazda 626, 92 Probe GT Turbo.
169 Posts
^ This 100%.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts