Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like there isnt enough space to remove the alternator, How would i go about doin this? Does it come out from underneath or the top, Is there anything else i must remove to get the alternator out ? thanks...please respond as soon as you can....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well to start you must remove the tensioner bolt and assembly from the top of alternator , there is also a bolt on lower part of alt. as well , it a little easier to remove the front passenger tire to get to that one , once bolts removed ( oh yeah make sure one of the battery cables has been disconnected to reduce chance of grounding out alt. and blowing a fusible link. ) wiggle to alt. back and forth a little to break it free from where it is disconnect the plug and wire from the alternator. now the fun part, the alt. comes out from the bottom right over the catalytic conerter , it should drop onto the muffler pipe then move it towards the a-arms and it will drop to the ground , and its just as must hassle putting it back in , when placing it back in just do same steps start with wiring , then the lower bolt and so on , if the changing of the alt. requires a belt change to let me know that is a whole other project entirely, well best of luck .......CollegeDad

·
Registered
126 Posts
Concerning alternator removal: I too have a '99 Sephia and remaove the alternator easily when I installed a new timing belt. First remove or loosen the tensioner. Then remove the bottom bolt that holds the alternator on. Remove the belt and it's off! My car lacks power steering, air conditioning, and this may have made things easier. Be careful not to tighten the bottom bolt when you want to loosen it because you will likely b e working on it backwards. That is you will be leaning over the alternator and you nee4d to think about which way that bolt needs to turn to loosen. I almost got myself in a pinch over this myself! speedster1

1 - 4 of 4 Posts