Kia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2017 SWP LX Sorento - 2005 big turbo Subaru STI - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HOW TO - Remove fog light covers

Has anyone removed the fog light covers?

The only thing ive found close, was a Youtube video where the guy removed the whole front bumper, and Im sure you can easily remove the fog covers with the bumper removed. But can you remove them while the bumper is on the car?

---------------------------------------
EDIT:
I did it and snapped some pics along the way if anyone else needs it or is interested. It starts in post 9, you can scroll down and follow this straight to it: http://www.kia-forums.com/2016-sorento/271913-remove-fog-light-covers.html#post1646834

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sorento LX V6
225 Posts

The only thing ive found close, was a Youtube video where the guy removed the whole front bumper, and Im sure you can easily remove the fog covers with the bumper removed. But can you remove them while the bumper is on the car?
Are you trying to add fog lights? What is your trim?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you trying to add fog lights? What is your trim?
V6 AWD LX.

Fog lights might be in the future, but I would like to look behind them to potentially make a license plate bracket that sits off to the side of the bumper (instead of dead center).

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX 2.0T AWD
1,499 Posts

@Richjohn19 might be able to tell, just did his foglight without dropping the bumper I believe.

http://www.kia-forums.com/1635313-post152.html

Also, if you pull the inside fender liner plugs you can see and reach to the fog ligths, from there one can tell how to remove them.

·
Registered
2016 SORENTO LX / 2010 KIA SOUL ! / 1995 NISSAN 300ZX TWIN TURBO
147 Posts
this is c/p from another site hope this helps

To remove the fog light grilles you need to:
1. Turn the front wheels full inward for the grille you are working on or remove the front wheel if you want more working room (I did it without removing the wheel), remove 5 plastic retainers holding the forward portion of the plastic inner wheel well cover and then remove the three 10MM bolts from the undercarriage cover under the bumper.
2. Remove 4 screws that hold the grille to the bumper (from behind by moving the inner wheel well cover out of the way).
3. Push in on the outside portion of the grille to unseat the grille from the tabs on the bumper. There are two small tabs on the outside edge and two larger tabs on the inside portion. Once you have dislodged the outer tabs pull back and down on the grille and unseat the upper inner tab and then the fourth inner tab.
4. Remove the grille through the opening provided by the wheel well cover.

Once you have the fog-light-grille and fog light assembly you will need one additional screw (the same size as the screws that hold the grille in place) -- it is used to hold the fog light assembly to the grille. Once the fog light is positioned on the grille SQUEEZE the fog light and grille assembly through the opening provided by the wheel well cover opening and install the grille to the bumper by positioning it on the inner tabs first, snap those in place and then snap the outer tabs into the cover. It will stay in place while you install the 4 grille to bumper screws. Three of the original grille-to-bumper screws also hold the fog light with the grille. Three of the mounting screws are EASY, the forth screw (inner upper screw on both covers) is "really" fun - especially the one on the passenger side because of the windshield washer bottle. Make sure you have an assortment of Phillips screwdrivers handy to find the one best suited for your hands (a long and THIN one helped me) and the "available space".
Wiring required...then reinstall all the hardware to button up the inner wheel well cover - five plastic retainers and 3 10 MM bolts.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
this is c/p from another site hope this helps

To remove the fog light grilles you need to:
1. Turn the front wheels full inward for the grille you are working on or remove the front wheel if you want more working room (I did it without removing the wheel), remove 5 plastic retainers holding the forward portion of the plastic inner wheel well cover and then remove the three 10MM bolts from the undercarriage cover under the bumper.
2. Remove 4 screws that hold the grille to the bumper (from behind by moving the inner wheel well cover out of the way).
3. Push in on the outside portion of the grille to unseat the grille from the tabs on the bumper. There are two small tabs on the outside edge and two larger tabs on the inside portion. Once you have dislodged the outer tabs pull back and down on the grille and unseat the upper inner tab and then the fourth inner tab.
4. Remove the grille through the opening provided by the wheel well cover.

Once you have the fog-light-grille and fog light assembly you will need one additional screw (the same size as the screws that hold the grille in place) -- it is used to hold the fog light assembly to the grille. Once the fog light is positioned on the grille SQUEEZE the fog light and grille assembly through the opening provided by the wheel well cover opening and install the grille to the bumper by positioning it on the inner tabs first, snap those in place and then snap the outer tabs into the cover. It will stay in place while you install the 4 grille to bumper screws. Three of the original grille-to-bumper screws also hold the fog light with the grille. Three of the mounting screws are EASY, the forth screw (inner upper screw on both covers) is "really" fun - especially the one on the passenger side because of the windshield washer bottle. Make sure you have an assortment of Phillips screwdrivers handy to find the one best suited for your hands (a long and THIN one helped me) and the "available space".
Wiring required...then reinstall all the hardware to button up the inner wheel well cover - five plastic retainers and 3 10 MM bolts.
Ill give this a shot!
Hoping to get to poke around the car this weekend.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sorento LX V6
225 Posts
@Richjohn19 might be able to tell, just did his foglight without dropping the bumper I believe.

http://www.kia-forums.com/1635313-post152.html

Also, if you pull the inside fender liner plugs you can see and reach to the fog ligths, from there one can tell how to remove them.
yup DM me, didn't remove bumper at all. Right side was a pain cause I think it's the windshield wiper fluid thats in the way. Remove the bottom cover and then the wheel well push pins and just use a ramp. It is really easy.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Ok so figured ill post pics here for anyone to reference if they want/need to remove their fog light cover.

Ill update the first post for those interested to scroll down to this post.

So I wanted to remove the drivers side fog light cover to install a generic front license plate bracket. I had to turn the tires full lock to toward the passenger side of the car (with the electric steering, the car had to be on to turn the steering wheel).

I popped out the bottom three plastic rivets circled in red
IMG_20170317_173919_zpsrpyrnroa

Then unbolted the two 10mm bolts from the under tray circled in red
IMG_20170317_173950_zps2mikqmbj

At this point you can pull the fender liner over to expose the back of the bumper
IMG_20170317_174414_zpskrnjyjmb

Then you have to remove the 4 phillips head screws that are circled in blue
IMG_20170317_174426_zps8un65vto

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

·
Registered
Sorento 2016 SX V6 6AT, Civic 2006 LX AT
541 Posts
Ok so figured ill post pics here for anyone to reference if they want/need to remove their fog light cover.
Then unbolted the two 10mm bolts from the under tray circled in red
on a different topic - does removing the bolts in this picture (and potentially other related ones) give you access to the area below the engine?

I ask because while replacing the dust cover of the high beam i dropped it and it "disappeared" in the area below the engine. I was unable to find it. i suspect it has since fallen out during a highway drive and before i put in the replacement was hoping this would be my Plan B - should i drop it again .... TIA

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
on a different topic - does removing the bolts in this picture (and potentially other related ones) give you access to the area below the engine?

I ask because while replacing the dust cover of the high beam i dropped it and it "disappeared" in the area below the engine. I was unable to find it. i suspect it has since fallen out during a highway drive and before i put in the replacement was hoping this would be my Plan B - should i drop it again .... TIA
Im 99% sure it does, as that's how its been on every other cars ive owned/worked on. You would want to remove all the bolts holding it up (along the front bumper and over to the passenger side as well).

But since I didnt fully remove the whole thing, thats why I cant give you the 100% ;)

·
Banned
2017 Sorento LX
131 Posts
Yes. You have to remove that cover to change the oil filter (on the 4 cyl engines) and drain the crankcase. If I remember correctly it's 17 bolts to remove it completely.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bump because Photobucket and screw off. Links rehosted.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts