Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had good quality remote start system installed last fall in my 2005 Sorento, to help warm the vehicle up on cold winter days. However, the remote starter does start the engine fine, but only about minus 20C. This kind of defeats the purpose of the remote starter.

As soon as the temperature reaches -20C the engine will not fire/start. The engine cranks over continously but will not fire. If I go out and stick the key in the ignition and start it the engine fires with no problem.

The installer has reinstall the security key and adjusted the codes haf a dozen times, but I still have the problem and the installer does not know what is causing the problem. Well do know the root problem is the -20C, but what is that cold temp affecting with the remote starter and the ignition?

Has anybody got any thoughts or advice?

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
Since this is an aftermarket remote start, the problem is probably that the installer didn't use the tach-sense feature. With tach-sense, the starter cranks until the tach signal is sensed and the vehicle is running.

The installer probably used either voltage-sense or the timer. Voltage sense works in the same way that the tach-sense works, only using voltage instead. I've found that it's pretty unreliable. Using the timer, the starter cranks a set amount of time. Unfortunately, the time that it's set to crank in the summer is not going to work in the winter, and vice-vera. In the winter the starter needs to crank longer and in the summer it needs to crank less.

I've installed a few remote starts that wouldn't learn the tach signal, for whatever reason. The signal is there and the connection is good, it just wouldn't learn it. Then the only option is to use voltage-sense or the timer function.

If your installer switches to the timer function, you shouldn't have any problems. In the summer, the starter will crank too long but nothing will be damaged because of the starter clutch.

It may take him a time or two to get it right because once the engine is warm/has been turned over you start from square one. That's also the reason after you try to remote start it, and it doesn't work, that you can go out with the key and it will start right up. If you tried remote starting for a second time with the remote it should fire right up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:beer: Thank you for the reply and the information. What you stated makes sense. I will take that info to the installer of the remote.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts