Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL 2.0T With Tech Package
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 2014 Santa Fe sport and am really thinking about upgrading to the 2016 Sorento SXL V6 with the tech pack. I like the remote start with the smartphone app (Hyundai Bluelink). If I understand the website for Kia, the remote start for the Sorento is a dealer add on and requires a second key fob. Can anyone confirm if a second/aux key fob is needed? Thanks

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorrento SXL
32 Posts
I installed a viper remotestart system with the smartstart iphone app, i have to pay $20 annually for the data link but result is 2016 Kia Sorrento remote start, no extra remote to carry.... cost me $500 @ cartoys installation and all.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your prox key fob and push button still works as normal? What model of viper did you install? Thanks

·
Registered
Formerly Owned: 2002 Sportage, 2012 Optima EX and 2016 Sorento SX Currently Own: 2016 Sedona SX
98 Posts
Looking to purchase the 2016 Sorento this weekend and was about to ask for the remote start when I saw the Viper SmartStart. Does it switch over automatically once you're in the car and ready to drive off? Or does it require the car to turn off and then you turn it back on? I read about Best Buy and other big stores installing them incorrectly using the wrong bypass I think it said.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorrento SXL
32 Posts
Yes the viper smart start switches over automatically, the fob still works as well , the button still works as original
The installation requires cutting into the wiring harness so I also would be Leary about letting kids working at a big box store touch this install

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento EX 2.0T AWD
35 Posts
if theres a problem and they deem that cutting into the wiring harness is the cause such as the starting system,etc, they may have you turn the system back to OEM before diag or will void that part of warranty, but it does not void all of your warranty.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento SX+
45 Posts
Called my dealer yesterday. They said they have a 2 way remote start system for 2016 Sorrento. Installed for $680.00 CAD

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes I have a new factory remote start. The key fob and the kia fob sync together. You can start the car with either fob. The remote start fob has better distance but the kia fob has a distance of 30 to 50 meters. You simply press the lock button and then the tailgate open button. When you enter the vehicle you have 30 seconds to press the brake and start button at the same time. The engine does not ever shut off.

·
Registered
'16 Kia Sorento EX w/ Tech, Volvo XC90
58 Posts
Any part numbers for a) the new Kia remote start and b) the Viper one that people have installed? Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes I have a new factory remote start. The key fob and the kia fob sync together. You can start the car with either fob. The remote start fob has better distance but the kia fob has a distance of 30 to 50 meters. You simply press the lock button and then the tailgate open button. When you enter the vehicle you have 30 seconds to press the brake and start button at the same time. The engine does not ever shut off.
Really? So, both the Sorento key fob and the keyless remote start fob work to start the car? How long do you press each button on the a standard Sorento fob? On the remote start fob I have to press it once quickly then after the lights blink I press and hold it for a few seconds until it starts.

Hope this works. Rather not carry two fobs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
All,
I have the remote start option on my 2016 V6 Limited. It works fine but after I start it up I notice it shuts itself off. Can't tell if I'm hitting something or of its a timeout thing. It was running for maybe 2 minutes after I got my son in the back 3rd row. While trying to buckle him in it just shut off. Does it do that intentionally? I know if you step on the break without pushing the button start on the dash it will shut off. But not sure why it's doing this.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Do you have a part number Or further info? I'm pulled the trigger on a 2016 Sorento but the dealer said there is no way to use the proximity key fob to remote start. Any info you have that I can share with my dealer would be awesome. Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
hello,

does anybody know where I can find the OEM remote starter for the sorento?

I heard it is on back order and Kia haven't provided an ETA yet.

I tried many websites but no luck :(

1 - 20 of 131 Posts